Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 06:12   #1

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Best Instant Coffee

Would like to lay in a small store of some instant coffee for next summers cruise. I emphasize that this is for backup or for when the weather is really bad or someone needs a quick cup and doesn't want to do the whole coffee prep.

I normally drink strong black coffee, an Ethiopian bean for example.

So I'm wondering what you all would recommend as the best instant coffee in this situation??
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:25   #2

Boat: Irwin Citation 39 'Chesagansett'
Normally, we use a percolator, but we also use Folger's coffee bags, just like tea bags. They have a mixture of ground coffee and instant and I like the taste better than instant; it's not quite as good as a standard brand 100% Colombian. Each bag is in a sealed packet, so they aren't a storage problem.
steve_hendry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:27   #3

Boat: 1978 Newport 30 Mk II
I use Melitta Filters and keep new sealed coffee on stand by. Works as fast as the bags and is real coffee.
wildebeest3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:38   #4
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
i second the folgers coffee bags. the aroma is great while brewing and they taste like the real thing with no mess.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:31   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
I third the Folgers. However, if you like Starbucks (I don't), their new instant is very close to their fresh brewed. It's a liquid/paste kind of thing.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 15:04   #6

Boat: Currently boatless
The new Starbucks Via packets are actually pretty good.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 15:21   #7

Boat: Vancouver 32 cutter
Folgers

I use Folgers Instant (regular and decaf) in the large plastic containers. Stores well and keeps me happy all summer on the boat!

Bill

“To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time.”

--Leonard Bernstein
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 16:05   #8

I bought the Folgers instant coffee bags after work and am planning on trying one in the morning. Seems like a great idea. Thanks on that one. Will post tomorrow.
Old 09-02-2010, 16:21   #9

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Aeropress. Put the coffee in, add hot water and press. Cleanup is unscrewing the end, pushing out the plug of used grounds and rinsing a 2" flat surface. Just buy extra real coffee in vacume packs or even cans for long term freshness. Not only instant but the best coffee you can make if you like strong esspresso type coffee. You can also add some more hot water if you want "americano".
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:22   #10

Near Real-Time Report

Just drank a cup made with the instant Folgers coffee bags!

Seems to be acid neutral (whatever that means) and tasted OK. For instant coffee it will do the trick as I like the "tea bag" idea as it potentially will reduce messes.

Thanks for the tip Steve!
Old 12-02-2010, 11:33   #11

Boat: 1974 Cal 2-29
I guess I'm a true Northwest coffee snob, because I hate all the instant coffees. There is only one exception-- Medaglia D'Oro Caffé Espresso Instant. This is an excellent Italian substitute for brewed coffee. Available in most large grocery chains. Costs a bit more but well worth it.
Dramanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:32   #12

Boat: Westsail 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dramanaut View Post
I guess I'm a true Northwest coffee snob, because I hate all the instant coffees. There is only one exception-- Medaglia D'Oro Caffé Espresso Instant. This is an excellent Italian substitute for brewed coffee. Available in most large grocery chains. Costs a bit more but well worth it.
I tried the Madaglia instant and didn't care for it myself. To me it didn't taste that much different than any other instant. But don't let my taste dissuade anyone else from giving it a try. We finally settled on using the little 1-cup Melitta filters and real coffee. Not quite as fast as instant but not much slower and clean-up is quite easy (just toss the filter in the trash, or I suppose, the composting toilet). However, when things get really gnarly out there and I can't keep the filter holder sitting on top of the cup, you can bet the Medaglia will taste just fine.

-Steve
syoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 13:31   #13

Boat: 1974 Cal 2-29
Syoder,
Actually, I also use a melitta cone drip system and a thermos. Makes a good strong cup, much better than instant IMO. Also you can buy the gold reusable filter so you don't have to stock the paper filters. My partner, like ConradG, prefers the aeropress. I only suggested the Madaglia because the poster asked specifically about instant coffee. In the end it is all boils down to individual taste.
Dramanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 13:44   #14

Boat: Newport 28 MKII
We really like the Folgers coffee bags on board. One thing that seems to improve the taste is to use mugs with lids when the bags are steeping. Keeps the coffee hotter, too. Travel mugs work great for this.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 18:51   #15

Boat: Westsail 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dramanaut View Post
Syoder,
Actually, I also use a melitta cone drip system and a thermos. Makes a good strong cup, much better than instant IMO. Also you can buy the gold reusable filter so you don't have to stock the paper filters. My partner, like ConradG, prefers the aeropress. I only suggested the Madaglia because the poster asked specifically about instant coffee. In the end it is all boils down to individual taste.
Too true. BTW, have you been able to find the gold filters in the #2 size? I tried and most of the places I looked listed them as "out-of-stock" or "discontinued". I'd love to be able to find a couple.

-Steve
syoder is offline   Reply With Quote