Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2015, 06:39   #31
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: Best Canned Meat?

i like the pouches of tasty bite indian cuisine over rice. the curried lentils are good.
Old 25-09-2015, 06:52   #32

You might want to consider freeze dried as well. I prefer those over canned meat, but both are high in sodium. The freeze dried stuff seems to be a bit lower in fat. Honestly, my wife won't eat either and quickly becomes a vegetarian if canned or freeze dried are the only choices. I don't totally disagree with her on that. It's a good way to drop some of that pesky cholesteral we all seem to battle.

I second keeping some MRE's around. Some don't need boiling water and have an air activated heating element. The ones's I tried tasted pretty good, but they are designed to generate a bunch of calories for twenty something's that are very active. I am sure a long term diet of those wouldn't be great for us more experienced folks.
dwoodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 07:21   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Dinty Moore Beef Stew

Sorry that is almost inedible. Only way is to pour out 1/2-3/4" of the sauce, replace with Jack Daniels and heat. "Rumor has it" that you will be taking about how good it is by the time your are half done.

And sleep like a rock afterwards.

Or so I'm told😈

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 07:26   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

To the rest of the respondents thanks for the inputs.

Yes, MREs or a quality freeze dry meal belongs on every boat. I have carried one or two on board since I moved up from kayaking. One never knows when the best course is away from land, so having a meal available is always good. In those scenarios, taste is less of a factor than calories and digestibility.

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 07:46   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Teriyaki Spam- cook out some of the sodium and additives.
Tastes great 3 days out.

Huh? The longer you cook something, the saltier it gets. As the water evaporates (steam), reducing the total volume of food, all of the salt stays behind, leaving a net increase in the percentage of salt - same principle as the solar still desalinator packed in your life raft.

That's why chefs call sauces "reductions", and why they "correct" the saltiness at the end cooking, not the beginning.
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 07:50   #36

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
LOL

When I came back to the UK after a 20 some year absence, All I wanted was a pint of creamy Boddingtons.

Changed the worlds best beer recipe to a generic slop hadnt they?

Gutted and sad for weeks.

+1. That stuff defined my youth. The shrine of beer making is now a surface car park with planning for an apartment complex. The mega-corp owners thought it a good idea to transfer brewing to a super efficient beer factory elsewhere. The sad face of progress.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 08:31   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Bacon spam great with freeze dried scrambled eggs http://www.amazon.com/SPAM-Bacon-12-.../dp/B001EQ5NLU
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 10:21   #38
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Since the topic of this thread is "The Best Canned Meat," I would like to add some info about something I saw that looks delicious to me. While I might enjoy Spam, it is not the only canned meat I would enjoy. Spam is admittedly at the low end of the price spectrum. Here is something more at the high end price and is generally considered a "gourmet" food item.

When I saw the video of this cooking, my mouth watered.

First, I should say I enjoy French Cuisine and appreciate how things like "cooked in its own fat" and "wine sauce" and such make a difference in the final taste. I also like the flavor of nicely cooked duck with crispy skin. Yum!

I am linking a video below that is a review (by a sailor) of this item. He opens the can, shows it cooking (nothing added, so a "One Can Meal" and he describes the taste and texture. His concise assessment: "Love in a Can." I like that.

He also makes a good point I will paraphrase here: Never judge canned food by what it looks like when you first open the can.

In the video you will see that the duck leg comes packed in duck fat, much fat. That is OK because you use that fat to fry the skin. It may look unappealing straight from the can, but when you see the final result, you will see. To my eyes, it looks delicious!

One Can Meal P2
This is the video with Castaing Confit de Canard (Duck Confit) and Coq Au Vin (Chicken in Red Wine). Warning: It is a pricy gourmet item (18 Euros for each can).

Where do you buy that brand? In Europe or gourmet food stores. I looked on Amazon and found a few similar canned items, but be aware they are not the same brand.

Another brand at Amazon = $19 per can Prime
Amazon.com : French Cassoulet With Duck Confit La Belle Chaurienne-Cassoulet Au Canard La Belle Chaurienne - 14, 82 Oz - 1 Serve : Duck Poultry : Grocery & Gourmet Food

Here is a good still photo to show you what the finished meal could look like. This link also gives another source, but in this case it is not a canned item, but available at Costco.
Cheater Crispy Sous Vide Duck Confit Legs | Award-Winning Paleo Recipes | Nom Nom Paleo®
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	One Can Meal Duck Confit confit-de-canard.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	387.9 KB
ID:	109895   Click image for larger version

Name:	One Can Meal Confit of Duck in Jar Castaing.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	109896  

Name:	Duck Confit Leg w Potatos.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	109897  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 10:53   #39

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

This thread has encouraged me to redouble my efforts towards truly reliable and efficient refrigeration on our boat.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 11:00   #40
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Well...Gerber, the baby food company that always puts a picture of a smiling chubby baby on their labels, tried to expand into the African market a number of years ago. Figuring food is food, they used the same packaging labels. But in much of Africa people can't read much of anything and they are used to seeing a picture of whatever is supposed to be IN the can or bottle.

"Who would want to buy canned white baby? Who do they think we are, cannibuls?"

The marketing campaign was not a success.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 11:05   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
This thread has encouraged me to redouble my efforts towards truly reliable and efficient refrigeration on our boat.
Give Richard kolleman or rich over at SV third day (cruiserosystems) a yell they will be glad to help you in that endeavor.
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 11:42   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Commercially, I prefer canned chicken. Aldi's is cheap, and as good quality as any.

Home made? Prefer moose, although it has to be done properly. Nothing better though on a cold day.
Old 25-09-2015, 12:03   #43

The best canned meat? You haven't lived til you've tried Unicorn. There's magic in every bite!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	unicornmeat.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	109907  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 12:09   #44

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Nothing better than a can of confit of duck on a special occasion :-)

For more everyday stuff, nothing beats campbell's chunky soup, especially the 'old-fashioned vegetable beef'. It's just so versatile!
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 12:13   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Olson 30

Jeanne Socrates, who has singlehanded around the world 3 times, with lots and lots of other trips, swears by Marks & Spencers canned meats.