Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 10:01   #1

Boat: Antares 44i - Field Trip
Bedding - Quilt, Duvet or Comforter ?

Hello all. I know this is not really 'food and drink', but thought it best fit into the provisioning section. My wife and I are looking at new bedding for our boat and are torn between a quilt or duvet cover. We plan on spending most of our time in the tropics. Any thoughts on what works best? THANKS!

Mark

https://svfieldtrip.blogspot.com
mdsilvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:21   #2

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Re: Bedding? Quilt, Duvet or Comforter?

Hello Mark. I made a quilt (sans batting) and find it adequate most of the time. I'm in the southeast. Do think about a couple things regardless of your final choice:

#1) will it fit into a small washing machine
#2) will it dry quickly

Additionally, do you have a place for it during the months you don't have it on the bunk? In that regard, a pillow sham that will fit the folded cover might be an option -- IF it's squishy enough. THere's not much worse than a hard-as-a-rock pillow.

Good luck and best wishes for your life afloat.
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:28   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i use a down throw for my bed and i have a spare. i also use regular sheets, jers=ey material, cotton preferred, for my bed as it is almost queen sized, and a lil larger than full sized, and pullman berth set up. i use a memory foam under my sheets and mattress pad/ protector. works well for me and my lifestyle. i am always on board.
down here in hotville, i usually just use a sheet to cover me.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:27   #4

Boat: Dolphin 460

We used a duvet with faux-down insert, which was needed when sailing from the States in the Fall. Found this choice to be versatile, since we then used the duvet cover only for warmer climates with occasional cold fronts, as in the Bahamas. Still had to store the insert - one of those big airtight vacuum bags works to compress it. When in the tropics, sheets are all that are needed, if that.
Old 12-10-2011, 19:05   #5

Boat: Grampian 26
Re: Bedding - Quilt, Duvet or Comforter ?

Quilts hands down, they clean easy, last for ever, and can be doubled up if really cold. They also can be used in lounge on deck and in cockpit as well, super versatile for lots of applications.
Old 12-10-2011, 19:46   #6

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

In San Diego, greatest climate on the planet, the bunk cover depends on the season. Down quilt, with a cotton mesh blanket and flannel sheets for the worst of the winter, switching to a polyester batting quilt as April comes, then settling in with the cotton sheets and light blanket in early summer, then the light cotton sheets alone in early autumn and the beginning of the Santanas, then the gradual replay of graduated warmth as the sun moves south, the Alaskan lows begin to flow south, and we search for the heater. Even in the tropics it can get cool, so carry a variety of comfys.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 18:25   #7

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

My custom bed covers looked great but what a waste in the tropical climate. They are now folded and put away. We are comfortable with just the sheets.
Old 14-10-2011, 20:59   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

roy m--in san diego i needed to wear thermals and downies and sox! in the 38 degree temps on the bay with its 50's degree water.. tropix, ha. sail south for tropix. san diego aint it.
i am finding i wont be needing my down quilt this winter!!! might need a light blanket and not even uggs for my feets!! wore uggs summer and winter in san diego--this year was first summer in 3 yrs i was in 90 degree weather---sd didnt break 71F summer of 2010
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 07:26   #9

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Zeehag, At least you didn't throw in the parts about mangoes, fresh shrimp and warm, clear water. That would have been cruel. Cold rain swept through here last night in San Diego. For the moment I am snuggled beneath a down comforter, a cup of hot, strong coffee at my elbow, and the laptop warming my... laptop. Thoughts of warmth will help tide me through this day of trying to get some money to take the boat south (and west). Enjoy your cruise and may the tropical breezes loft you to ever more lovely anchorages.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 13:13   #10
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

In marine and RV suppliers find a bed "system" called something like TravaSak. It has removable sheets and a "summer" side and "winter" side, all quilted. You simply put one side on top, the other side under you. In the tropics, even the summer side can be a bit warm. Looks good on the bunk during the day. Just sort of straighten it out. Matching shams come with it.
Old 29-11-2011, 17:27   #11

Boat: Custom Ketch 52"

We've been living aboard in the NE year-round for several years, where it's usually humid whether it's in the 20s or the 90s. Smooth, itch-free/high threadcount or good cotton/poly sheets are key when it's hot. I keep a down blanket from LL Bean in a cotton or flannel duvet, depending on the season. It can be washed in a conventional washing machine and thrown in the drier with 3 or 4 clean tennis balls to fluff it up (just don't leave it unattended or the people in the marina will think the cook's gone crazy washing her pots & pans ). The down blanket is more versatile and much lighter than a down comforter. I like duvet covers, because you don't have to wash the blanket as often, maybe 2-3 times a year. And when it's really cold or there's an unexpected damp Spring chill I turn on the electric blanket, which is kept on the mattress from October to April (with a Polartec fleece blanket over the fitted flannel sheet all winter). The down blanket is used even in the Summer, when it drops into the 70s and the hatches are open. So, in this thread, we're dreaming about going South (to Antarctica), right?
AnnaMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 00:22   #12

Hi, pretty old post but I want to express my expertise, I am new from Melbourne and I just get classes for sewing and for my boat I stitched the quilt cover myself and it is the best fitting. You can buy easily for your bedroom but its to find out for the boat and I think its not really hard to sew, just a week or more classes!
Old 24-07-2016, 19:18   #13

Hello, I did not see a response to question about bedding.
Your post is from 2009 so I was wondering what you figured out about this?
We are going to be new live aboard sailors on a Boat with air.
Sail girl is offline   Reply With Quote