Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 13:22   #1

Bean Sprouts

Howdy. I have been growing mung and radish sprouts in a glass jar. I was curious if anybody had any other ideas of advice on alternative high volume growing devices or other seeds that work well at sea? Thanks. Chris v
cvondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 13:44   #2

Boat: Hunter 27
I've read broccoli sprouts are really great. I bought seeds some time back, but haven't gotten around to sprouting them yet. One of these days, I might actually try it.

Very curious to see other answers, as I'd like to sprout things while we're traveling.
CapnRumslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 13:54   #3

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Just rinsed my alfafa sprouts. *grin*

I use seeds from sproutpeople.com . Good folks. Ball jars are great as sprouters. I use Growing Sprouts with Jars and Lids stainless steel screen but you can make do very nicely with cheesecloth and a rubber band.

Broccoli is very good but pretty expensive. I rotate through alfafa, radish, clover, and mung. For just me and my girl friend I keep one batch going at a time. On deliveries and longer passages I start a new batch every two or three days.

How much do you need? It seems to me it would have to be a lot before moving to something more substantial than 1 qt Ball jars. The pre-fab sprouters don't do a better job and are expensive.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 13:55   #4

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
I have a restaurant size clear plastic pickle jar. It holds enough sprouts for 2 people for several days. Two jars and you would have a continuos supply.

I modified the lid by cutting out the center and installing a(4">)round piece of stainless window screen. I think I just cut the screen big enough that it is semi permanenty jammed into the lid.

I throw a small hand full of mung beans in and cover them with water for a few hours(overnight?) and then dump the water through the screen and rinse. I rinse and drain the sprouts a couple of times a day with a few ounces of water and keep them out of the sun.

They take a couple of days to get going but they are a treat when there are no fresh greens left............m
Old 03-08-2010, 17:08   #5

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, mates. Ditto on the alfalfa sprouts and cantxsailor's process, nice to have some kind of green on our sandwiches. We have a plastic sprouter (not sure of the brand). Cheers
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:20   #6

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Quote:
I have a restaurant size clear plastic pickle jar. It holds enough sprouts for 2 people for several days. Two jars and you would have a continuos supply.

I modified the lid by cutting out the center and installing a(4">)round piece of stainless window screen. I think I just cut the screen big enough that it is semi permanenty jammed into the lid.

I throw a small hand full of mung beans in and cover them with water for a few hours(overnight?) and then dump the water through the screen and rinse. I rinse and drain the sprouts a couple of times a day with a few ounces of water and keep them out of the sun.
I am going to have to try that. I will set a couple up this afternoon and hopefully have some fresh sprouts in a few days. Thanks for the tip.
Old 04-08-2010, 17:09   #7
Scurvy Dog

We use an old plastic peanut butter jar with a piece of plastic mesh held on by a rubber band. I think the mesh came from a bag of garlic or onion.
Skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:47   #8

A bit of forum drift I know but...

Has anyone had any success with those mushroom box farm thingies?

I love mushrooms

Cheers ..
Pelm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:11   #9

Boat: Privilege 482
Quick tip for mung beans- We use a 1 qt cheap plastic container (leftover from Chinese hot&sour soup takeout) and follow the same process as cantxsailor, but also keep another 1 qt container full of water "stacked" inside the first container, sitting on the beans. The container full of water just gets pushed up as the beans below it get bigger. The added weight sitting on the beans causes them to get fatter and look more like the bean sprouts you might get in the store.
teneicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:12   #10

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Here's the batch I started on Monday evening.

Sorry about the size - I'll resize it when I can get to an SSH app.

The screen is the smallest size I referred to above to keep the tiny alfalfa seeds in. After the photo I shifted to the large size to let the seed shells start to wash out. This batch will be harvested tomorrow morning and I'll start mung beans.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote