Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2008, 14:14   #1
cruiser

BBQ! (which one?)

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good BBQ grill for a boat that doesn't need to be rail-mounted? (we have no stern rail)

If so, how is it mounted?

Additionally, I'm looking for a charcoal grill, or one that is a reasonable cost where I can rip out the propane parts and fill her up with charcoal for that *quality* flavor.

Any suggestions?
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 14:27   #2

Boat: Nomoboat -- yay Gustav ;)
Send a message via AIM to drew.ward
Steve try getting a "lil smokey" they are simple aluminum smokers that you can find at most Wal-Marts. There are different sizes and they range from $20-100 dollars. Very little heat travels down the legs, and you could most likely rig it up so you could mount it to a sturdy piece of wood for insulation.

They cook some good BBQ.

drew.ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 14:37   #3

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good BBQ grill for a boat that doesn't need to be rail-mounted? (we have no stern rail)

If so, how is it mounted?

Additionally, I'm looking for a charcoal grill, or one that is a reasonable cost where I can rip out the propane parts and fill her up with charcoal for that *quality* flavor.

Any suggestions?
When I first read the title, my reaction was "OOH! Barbecue!" ... then it turned to "Oh. A grill."

The Word, by which I mean Barbecue can inspire a certain group of us. Properly made it heal torn friendships, bring former sworn enemies together and is, on occasion, used as not-implausible proof of a divine creator of the Universe. Like the potato in Ireland, it at one time had the reputation of being an aphrodisiac.

Careful, man. I know you didn't mean it; I know you are a really good guy. But you playing with some pretty tender feelings here.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 14:39   #4

Boat: 38' Homebuilt Cutter - "Atticus"
Quote:
That is EXACTLY what we did with our little propane grill. We took off all the propane fixtures and plugged up one or two odd holes, and have never looked back.

As far as mounting goes, ours is on the rail, but I imagine you could easily build something that a grill could mount on. Good luck.

I saw some really cool small grills at a shop called "Sportsmans Warehouse". Not sure if one is near you, but they are a national chain. They have some great camping appliances that would do duty on a boat. My favorite has to be the stainless steel margarita glasses. Toss them in with your ice and you have a cold margarita glass that will not break.

They also have 12v blenders, etc. etc.

Good luck.
Colorado Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 14:41   #5

Boat: 38' Homebuilt Cutter - "Atticus"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
The Word, by which I mean Barbecue can inspire a certain group of us. Properly made it heal torn friendships, bring former sworn enemies together and is, on occasion, used as not-implausible proof of a divine creator of the Universe. Like the potato in Ireland, it at one time had the reputation of being an aphrodisiac.

You just made my day!
Colorado Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 14:57   #6
cruiser

Maren,

I'm not quite understanding what you are talking about, but I sure wish I did.

It sounds like what we call a "pig roast" where I'm from, where half the town comes by, and a pig rotates on a spit for the whole day over a wood fire. People bring side dishes and you have a pretty good party. Or...

Maybe like the New England Clambake?

How to Prepare a Clam Bake

Dig a hole, dump seaweed, lobsters, fish, vegetables, potatoes, etc... in the hole and presto! A big party with some great food.

I'm just looking for a way to cook food outside with a good flavor that can only be had from charcoal or wood fired grills.

Do you have a link to the BBQ you are talking about? I'd sure love to see it...
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 15:37   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
we call a "pig roast" where I'm from, where half the town comes by,

Yeah, start roasting a pig on the stern and you'll hear the sound of dinghies starting up

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Now just to help you northern hemisphere lads out with the art of cookin on a BBQ take a bit of international advice from one here Aussie....: Have a look in your BBQ shop for a bag of smoking chips. Often Hickory or some other type of wood is bagged for smoking meat, fish etc. Chuck a few bits into the charcoal when BBQing your meat (or piggy twirling). The smell makes the whole house/boat/camp etc seem like the real deal. Even better, when you are out bush next time pick up some different types of wood chips and test them out for aroma (try to avoid ones the neighbours dog has piddled on).

This trick can be used on a gas fire too!

If you are too late to get to the hardware store for the wood chips and too lazy to go collect some, just nick your girlfriends Sandalwood Perfume. Works a treat!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 15:48   #8

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Hey Sean, It figures you are a charcoal man. With your love for heating with wood. I also ripped out the gas works and cook with charcoal.
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 17:59   #9

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Hey, I have a Magma charcoal grill complete with rail attachment if anyone's interested. It's been in my basement for about ten years.
Old 14-06-2008, 19:09   #10

Actually I am going to skewer Sully and he blew past and didn't bother to stop by a few weeks ago. Roast him or toast him or on a spit. He's one slippery sailor. hahahaha
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 19:10   #11

Boat: Privilege 39
When I had to give up my Traeger to move aboard... Well, it doesn't matter anymore, nothing can compare.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 00:07   #12

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
I am so far quite impressed with the Cobb, and like it better than propane. A bit more fiddly to use, but nicer foodage IMHO...

I haven't conjured a rail mount yet, but haven't really needed it... it can be hand-carried whilst in use, and lives well on the folding cockpit table (otherwise stored in its bag in a lazarette).

Cheers,
Steve
Old 15-06-2008, 02:09   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Has anyone used the “Delecto” Woodflame or Gusto Bar-B-Q’s?
Woodflame - Nautic Kit

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 05:39   #14

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
Maybe its just me, but what about the "ambers" that fly off a live flame? I love charcole etc, but on a boat, isn't fire the worst thing that can happen? I think its great when at anchor, but what about when under way? Also, along the same note, are there any gas grills that come with a side burner for frying etc. that can be rail mounted? Great for keeping the galley cooler. Thanks.
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 05:55   #15
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
When I first read the title, my reaction was "OOH! Barbecue!" ... then it turned to "Oh. A grill."

Careful, man. I know you didn't mean it; I know you are a really good guy. But you playing with some pretty tender feelings here.

I prefer pulled pork with vinegar-based North Carolina sauce! With an ice-cold beer, of course!

Tags
barbecue