Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2011, 10:41   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Bar Soap in Salt Water

Surface staph infections usually starting as a small rash or pimple like eruption and slowly progressing into a boil can be easily cured with bleach. Make up a weak bleach solution and bathe the affected area in it several times a day. For me only took a few days to stop the infection.

I had a spot on my knee that I treated with antibiotic regimen three times in a six month period. It would retreat to a small pimple when I'd take the antibiotics but never go completely away. Then it would grow larger and nastier sometime after ending the antibiotics. A cruising doctor saw me standing on the quai in Papeete and, out of the blue, came up to me and gave me a stern lecture about treating the infection. He told me to use the bleach bathe and it worked a charm. The infection immediately began to shrink and went completely away never to return. Showering in fresh water in Papeete hadn't done a thing to cure the problem.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 10:52   #47
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Gord-
P&G's locator comes back with a few chemical supply houses. In my looks, NO mass-market consumer/retail sources for it in the US.

zeehag-
There have been some news clips about folks using bleach baths for eczema and other problems as well. Bleach, like hydrogen peroxide, will kill ALL LIVING TISSUE and as such needs to be used with some caution. Since it is a 100% kill, in theory if you keep the tissue clean and sterile only the good stuff grows back. The problem, and the reason peroxide is often discouraged for first aid now, is that the tissue you have just killed becomes "food" for whatever likes dead meat. Which can mean worse infection, unless it is kept clean and tended to.

But I guess using bleach to clean surface wounds is a pretty clever idea when there's no better alternative. I'm going to remember that one!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 11:26   #48
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my fav staph KILLER was pHisohex. worked well and spozedly caused problems in baby brains,,,but is usable by script on doggies......works great and does actually destroy the bacterium.
nursing history states bleach does not KILL BACTERIA. GOOODLUCK. IF IT SEEMS TO HAVE DONE SO, MORE THE BETTER BUT I WONT RELY ON BLEACH TO KILL ANYTHING EXCEPT HIV, which dies in air and water.
sorry bad typoing.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 11:46   #49

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
P&G's locator comes back with a few chemical supply houses. In my looks, NO mass-market consumer/retail sources for it in the US.
Orvus WA Paste and similar products containing the active ingredient sodium lauryl sulphate is commonly associated with veterinary clinics and practices, and may be purchased at most veterinary supply houses and pet stores. Sodium lauryl suphate (SLS) is a foaming agent extracted from palm kernel and coconut oils, and is frequently used in toothpastes, cosmetics, water conditioners, soaps, and shampoos. Orvus WA Paste can be ordered through Amazon.com and just about any mail order vet supply in the US.
Old 22-05-2011, 12:30   #50

Boat: Skookum 53'

We used to use Phisohex, then they came out with Phisoderm, which was supposed to answer the problems of Phisohex. Something we use in Africa to fight staph is a product called Dettol, and that gets mixed with the bath water and used in the water for scrubbing down the inside of the boat. It seems to work quite well as an antibacterial. I have been told that all soap is antibacterial, I don't know if that is true or not.
Old 23-05-2011, 06:58   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Bleach is often recommended as a good universal disinfectant for MRSA infection control. While bleach can effectively kill MRSA, it has to be used properly and at the correct dilution to work well.

To be effective, bleach MUST be mixed with water.

Straight undiluted bleach is actually less harmful to bacteria than bleach diluted in wate
r.

A 10% bleach solution is generally best to kill MRSA, however different brands and types of bleach have different kill times for MRSA. 10% bleach is also less corrosive and less hazardous than undiluted bleach.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 10:41   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

IIRC, Physohex got pulled off the market after some injuries to infants caused by a bad batch. The batch was 'brewed' improperly with many times the normal level of the anti bacteria element. Another case of our wonderful press condemning a viable product because of a screw up in manufacture. Also a problem with how people were using it. It's a very effective anti bacterial agent but shouldn't have been used in lieu of good old soap. It's just too damned effective and has serious side effects if it gets in the eyes or is accidentally ingested. People with germ phobias went nuts using the stuff indiscriminantly, especially on infants. Phisohex is still available by prescription and wouldn't be a bad addition to any medical kit if used with it's negatives taken into account.

Bleach is still cheaper and available anywhere. Do use it in a weak solution, however. The doctor told me to mix it up so you could still smell the bleach bu just barely. 10% solution in a much more accurate way of diluting it.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 10:59   #53
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Was the phisohex problem the same one that they are arguing about antibacterial soaps and ?hexchloraphine? about in general? i.e. that the regular use of them just breeds stronger bacteria and is a net danger rather than a benefit?

For cleaning inert objects, I think live steam is still the best way to go. Butcher shops and meat processors use it, but trying to rent a "steam genny" to clean your boat...that's a bit harder unless you're in farm country.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 11:17   #54

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Here is the associated warning with Phisohex, and the most probable reasons for its withdrawal to prescription only:

Quote:

Contraindications

Phisohex must not be used on burned or denuded skin.
It must not be used as an occlusive dressing, wetpack, or lotion. It must not be used routinely for prophylactic total body bathing.
It must not be used as a vaginal pack or tampon, or on any mucous membranes.
Phisohex must not be used on persons with sensitivity to any of its components. It must not be used on persons who have demonstrated primary light sensitivity to halogenated phenol derivatives because of the possibility of cross-sensitivity to hexachlorophene.
Phisohex must not be used routinely for bathing infants (see WARNINGS).
Warnings

RINSE THOROUGHLY AFTER EACH USE. Patients should be closely monitored and use should be immediately discontinued at the first sign of any of the symptoms described below.
Rapid absorption of hexachlorophene may occur with resultant toxic blood levels when preparations containing hexachlorophene are applied to skin lesions such as ichthyosis congenita, the dermatitis of Letterer-Siwe's syndrome, or other generalized dermatological conditions. Application to burns has also produced neurotoxicity and death.
Phisohex SHOULD BE DISCONTINUED PROMPTLY IF SIGNS OR SYMPTOMS OF CEREBRAL IRRITABILITY OCCUR.
Infants, especially premature infants or those with dermatoses, are particularly susceptible to hexachlorophene absorption. Systemic toxicity may be manifested by signs of stimulation (irritation) of the central nervous system, sometimes with convulsions.
Infants have developed dermatitis, irritability, generalized clonic muscular contractions and decerebrate rigidity following application of a 6 percent hexachlorophene powder. Examination of brainstems of those infants revealed vacuolization like that which can be produced in newborn experimental animals following repeated topical application of 3 percent hexachlorophene. Moreover, a study of histologic sections of premature infants who died of unrelated causes has shown a positive correlation between hexachlorophene baths and lesions in white matter of brains.
Old 23-05-2011, 12:33   #55
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

pHisohex was the primary treatment for kids and their communicable skin mung known as impetigo, a strep/staph infection that is not easily gotten rid of.
pHisoderm is a weak and ineffectual replacement as it doesnt have the effective ingredient. does not kill germs. studies we did in hospitals on ice machines showed the most effective cleaning agents did no tinclude bleach nor hecxachlorophene. we used concept 256. tgat is a superconcentrated solution used in post anesthesia unts and operating rooms to disinfect the rooms. works on EVERYTHING including fungi and viruses, which donot die in anything else. we learned a lot in our studies, which were practical and actual cleansing orgies in our units.
hexachlorophene causes dermatitis in anyone using it in sun. any time in sun will bring the dermatitis out-hives and redness. painful stuff.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:40   #56

I have been using bar soap for seawater from DriftwoodShaper and it is not just me who loves to use it but other yachties who just love the saving of fresh water. I also use it by the sink with our saltwater tap for washing my hands.
James T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 16:39   #57

I agree with johnsons baby shampoo as far as fresh water goes. Low suds is the key to saving water and no need for conditioner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah on 'Rita T' View Post
The absolute best is Johnson's Baby Shampoo.
tammylbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 20:45   #58

Boat: 36 ft 1977 Islander

We use Swedish Dream Sea salt soap (body/hand soap for use in salt water). Bought this product to use as a shower soap. It seems good for that, but the packaging says it can be used for shaving as well. I tried it and, well, was very surprised how good it is!
j_morrison is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt water