Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2021, 18:27   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Bananas on Board

Nevair, mon ami. The banana cream pie she is wonderful!

Ann

(tee hee)
Old 13-03-2021, 18:45   #17
Cruising in between boats

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable offshore-proven Bristol 22 #172; NOW: various 30-40' monohulls; ALWAYS: Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
folks...you can dice this and slice this any way you wish.....but banana's on a boat are bad news.....no rhyme nor reason for this...

when I was in college....
a math professor told us..
a minus times a minus is a plus...
a plus times a plus is also a plus....
but a plus times a minus is a minus..

he went on" there is no mathematical theory behind this, no proof, no fact, but this...
this is the only way it works.

and so it is with banana's....
My grandma—part Welsh, part Irish, part Chippewa, part Romanian—could talk to rocks and trees and sense the presence of unseen beings.

My father told me she told him that if you sing this song while turning counterclockwise with your eyes closed, you will erase all banana-themed curses.

My dad taught me how to sail when I was five.
Sailing has taught me how to learn every day since then.
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 19:22   #18

Bananas are great on board, how else does one make banana daiquiris?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bananas.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	234470  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 22:26   #19

Boat: 1985 C&C 33-2

My first experience with bananas on board was on a fishing charter on Florida. Captain asked me what I was going to do with my bunch of bananas and I responded "eat them of course". He said they were bad luck. No fish for 2 hours finally caught 1, and got "sharked". Captain suggested we toss the bananas. We got rid of them and then proceeded to catch a boat load of fish!

We chartered a cat in Caribbean several years later. Local on Union Island gave us a bunch of bananas we could not say no and decided to eat them on the dinghy and toss the peels overboard. That day we i) lost and retrieved the dinghy after it blew away from the boat ii) spilled the entire batch of brownie mix in the bottom of the oven and iii) spilled a full bottle of Grenadine all over the floor.

No bananas on the boat ever!
APWTryfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 00:29   #20

Boat: Albin Vega 27 / Ericson E30

Bananas are a real danger on board.

When cruising down to Ecuador (THE banana Republic) carrying Bananas - I got hit by a hurricane. Just when having the last banana for breakfast, I missed the rescue call from the CoatsGuard. Later, I had a banana and threw the shell away and when coming out of the super market carrying again bananas, I slepped on a God d..n banana shell some idiot threw reckless away. Finally, I finished my banana when crossing the street very concentrated on my last bit of banana, got hit by a Cab, who ran away. Then, I went to the police station to report this accident, when I was offered a banana for lunch (when they kept me in jail). Finally, some GF came and looked for me, bringing me a banana for my hunger, when I was kept because my banana fingers would damage the report for release and the secretary returned only the other day.

You see, bananas are a real danger to a careful man and should not be considered in modern times of food science since they´re reputation of health is very doubtfull.

PS. Thanks to the banana farming of my grand father I can rest my life and do sailing, when others go to work.... but stay away from bananas!
Albinvega27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 08:31   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I will only eat a banana when it is still mostly green......once it goes yellow, it gets mushy....no thanks....but my wife does make wonderful banana bread, when a banana gets mushy, so there is that...

banana's on a fishing boat = no....
banana's on a sailboat = only as banana bread..
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 09:04   #22

Boat: Boatless Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Well, the cut stalks "bleed" for a while, and that fluid will stain fabric cockpit cushions, but they the stalks were always welcome aboard Insatiable. However, we did dunk them under water first, to dispel insects and arachnids. The bananas tend to come all ripe at once, but there are lots of ways to preserve them, including banana chips and marmalade. ...Oh, and giving them to other yachties, just like a native! ;-D

Ann
All good points Ann--the stain from a cut stock is pretty nasty. You remind me of the time I started to dunk a new stock before bringing it on the boat and a half a dozen geckos came swarming out. I relented and hung the stock on the boat, but the geckos died of starvation. We used to have cookie sheets full of banana slices drying under the dodger.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 04:57   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

FWIW: Bananas are slightly radioactive, because they contain potassium, and potassium decays [1].
But, the same can be said for spinach, white beans, potatoes, apricots, avocados, mushrooms, yogurt oranges, brazil nuts, salmon, kitty litter, granite counter tops, the very air you breathe and even your own body! Radioactivity is all around us, and is unavoidable

[1] Potassium (K) is a widely encountered element with a very small fraction of its atoms, about 0.012%, being radioactive. These K-40 atoms spontaneously decay, releasing electrons (beta radiation) as well as gamma rays. Both of these are capable of doing damage to tissues. However, K-40 is not very radioactive, having a half-life of 1.3 billion years, meaning that only a few thousand atoms decay each second The question is how much damage can this do? What is the actual risk of eating a banana? That can be determined by the dose of the radiation that is absorbed by relevant human tissues as measured in “rem,” a unit that takes into account the amount of radiation absorbed and the medical effects of that radiation.
A banana contains about 450 mg of potassium, and when eaten exposes the consumer to about 0.01 mrem due to its K-40 content. For comparison, a chest x-ray delivers 10 mrem. A quick calculation (10/.01) shows that it would take an ingestion of at least a thousand bananas to result in an exposure of 10 mrem, which would then increase the risk of death by 1 in a million. In other words, for death to ensue, a million times a thousand, or a billion, bananas would have to be consumed. And that would have to be at one sitting.
So, while bananas are indeed radioactive, the dose of radioactivity they deliver does not pose a risk.

There is a greater, but still insignificant, exposure to radioactivity by sleeping next to someone. And if they are breathing heavy, exposure is increased, due to C-14 in their exhaled carbon dioxide.

Bottom line: Enjoy that banana, the world’s most popular fruit [actually, it’s a berry].
And the peel? Use it to polish your shoe.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:40   #24

I don't believe in superstitions, but I don't take bananas in any condition on board. Just in case...
KateMid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:06   #25

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateMid View Post
I don't believe in superstitions, but I don't take bananas in any condition on board. Just in case...

Was that SALT that you just tossed over your shoulder?
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:09   #26

after reading this thread I went bannanas
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:48   #27

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

Two days ago my wife brought bananas on board (after I told her not to). We were going to stay in the islands for a couple of nights. When I try starting the boat the electrical system went crazy with low voltage alarms and Yanmar panel battery lights going off. I thought it was the alternator, so it took me an couple of hours to take off and test.
I discovered that the fuse to the blower who also fed the coil in the alternator had blown.
So I set my foot down....NO MORE BANANAS and when she goes on board she needs to go topless.

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:46   #28

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48

What about Plantain?
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:07   #29

As long as we are talking bananas, did you know that organic ones dont go bad so fast? I know, it sounds like BS... but try it. Buy one of each that are the same color of ripeness. Let them sit. I guarantee the organic one will still be edible when the non organic has gotten mushy. Go figure....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:50   #30
Cruising in between boats

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable offshore-proven Bristol 22 #172; NOW: various 30-40' monohulls; ALWAYS: Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
As long as we are talking bananas, did you know that organic ones dont go bad so fast? I know, it sounds like BS... but try it. Buy one of each that are the same color of ripeness. Let them sit. I guarantee the organic one will still be edible when the non organic has gotten mushy. Go figure....
I for one can confirm this useful factoid! ^

My dad taught me how to sail when I was five.
Sailing has taught me how to learn every day since then.
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote