Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2009, 11:21   #16

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
One thing I found important in the Carib is to find out what day that produce arrives to the groceries. Many islands also have local produce markets. The fruit and veggies are not as pretty as you may be used to in the US but taste the same.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 14:04   #17

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
I used to raise sheep and got alarmed comments from urban acquaintances about having my kids eat animals they saw running around in the pasture. I told them not to worry "We only eat their young"
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 14:27   #18

It'll be hit or miss. The bahamas were pretty "miss" except Nassau. You will likely want the biggest refrig you can get to stock up when you find them. Learn ot love cabbage... it keeps. Forget lettuce, you wont find much....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 14:38   #19

Boat: a sailing boat
Western West Indies - availability very good, quality very good, prices low (status 2004 and 2006), imported fruit just so-so (apples etc. OK) - I do not think they have much reason to import fruit, but they do.

Bahama I do not know, but Easter West Indies very bad - poor choice, so-so quality and bloody expensive (compared to say Panama).

If you are US budget I do not think you will have any problems except perhaps that you will have to eat whatever there is rather than whatever you are used to.

vegie barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 14:58   #20

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It'll be hit or miss. The bahamas were pretty "miss" except Nassau. You will likely want the biggest refrig you can get to stock up when you find them. Learn ot love cabbage... it keeps. Forget lettuce, you wont find much....
Totally incorrect. See my earlier post in this thread for the latest information re availability. Lettuce is quite available. We buy the romaine hearts all the time.
Old 30-09-2009, 16:42   #21

Boat: West Wight Potter 19
Thanks for all the additional comments. We appreciate them very much.
Homespun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:41   #22

Boat: 1994 Prout Manta Catamaran
We have cruised in the Bahamas for the past six years. During that time, the availability of produce and provisions has improved. The following information will only be helpful to you if you are not insistent on organically grown.

Nassau: The "box" deals on Potters Cay might not be available, but there is a local market along the street which sells fresh vegetables, conch, and some fish (haven't bought fish there). There is a large grocery store near Nassau Yacht Haven and Nassau Harbour Club, which is affiliated with Winn Dixie in the US. Prices used to be double US, but they have moderated somewhat and produce is good there. There are numerous other small markets in the area - last year there was an open market near Montague Bay, and one in the parking lot of the Green Parrot restaurant some Saturdays (this is very near one of the main Nassau anchorages).

Down Island from Nassau, there are small stores in many of the communities (Staniel Cay, Black Point, etc.) and the best day to go is right after the mail boat unloads its weekly supplies. If you ask around, there might be locals selling a little produce as well.

On Great Exuma, there is good produce available from a local grower at Barreterre, on the north end of the island not far from Rat Cay (it's shallow going in there, and you should get info on the radio as to availability first). In George Town on Great Exuma there is a well stocked grocery store. During the cruising season, they even stock upscale produce, such as endive and enoki mushrooms (go figure!) There is also a small produce stand near the straw market which many cruisers frequent.

There are two good markets on Long Island (and if you're not a vegan and have had bad fishing luck, a good place to buy well frozen local seafood).

The upshot is - if you make landfall ask around about a local store and if there is something available, buy it. Be prepared to pay a little more, and to experiment with various types of local produce.

And lastly, before you leave home stock up on the produce that lasts a long time - cabbage will last unrefrigerated for several months - just store in a fairly cool spot peel off the outer leaves before using. Onions, apples, etc.

Good luck and enjoy your cruising!

Entlie
Sailing Catamaran Sunspot Baby
Entlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:47   #23

Boat: Jeanneau, SO 42.1 "Far Niente"
Our absolute favorite in the Bahamas is Hilltop (or might be Hillside) Grocery on Long Island, Bahamas.
Old 05-10-2009, 13:09   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleinamessage View Post
Our absolute favorite in the Bahamas is Hilltop (or might be Hillside) Grocery on Long Island, Bahamas.
Long Island, Bahamas (Roses) groceries:
Hillside Supply & Price Buster: 242-338-0022 or fax 242-338-0023
Hardings HSC Food Store: 242-338-0022
Both good, and several more ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HillsideSupply.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	10322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hardings-HSC-FoodStore-LongIsland.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	10323  

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 13:14   #25

"It'll be hit or miss. The bahamas were pretty "miss" except Nassau. ..." I stand corrected, my info is a few years old for sure. Pretty much limp lettuce unless your timing was just right back then...
Old 05-10-2009, 13:19   #26

And if you make it to Rum Cay, here's the "Last Chance" grocery store.

Old 05-10-2009, 13:45   #27

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Vegan Voyage

Kevin and Sharon on Serendipty from Annapolis cruised to the Bahamas last winter with some trepedation about this sissue. Sharon is a Vegan and simply adjusted her meals to what was available. Learn the schedual of the local mailboats and sometimes get in line early (Social event) in some places. A few more beans and grains with the fresh stuff available will help. We often ate with them and never found the meals wanting. With decent refrigeration one can provision fresh veggies for several weeks.

We found good meat products somewhat elusive also. Provisioning became more of a fun pastime than a problem. Sharon can not wait to return.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 13:49   #28

Nice store fronts!

"It'll be hit or miss. The bahamas were pretty "miss" except Nassau. ..." I stand corrected, my info is a few years old for sure. Pretty much limp lettuce unless your timing was just right back then...

However.... I would feel better if you guys were showing the vegetable counter instead of the front of the store!! Yea finding food i s part of the fun... especially with fins and spear in hand!
Old 05-10-2009, 14:47   #29

OK Cheech, just for you a picture of good Bahamian produce, not too fresh though. Some of that is eight years old.
Old 05-10-2009, 16:20   #30
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
OK Cheech, just for you a picture of good Bahamian produce, not too fresh though. Some of that is eight years old.
But you've got no beer? What are you gunna drink? You'll die of thirst. You need BEER!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, Caribbean