Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2014, 04:57   #1

Boat: Lagoon 37
Argument about Bahamian food prices

The Admiral and myself are having a discussion about food prices in the Exumas/Georgetown. I say they average about 30%-50% more than here in the states. She says they are double. I know some things are really high but some are about the same or less. So what is your experience?
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:07   #2

Boat: Nordhavn 50
Re: Argument about Bahamian food prices

Perishables and heavy bulky items are close to double in places (Beer, Milk, OJ, meat etc). Staple dry goods seem more reasonable. It also really depends where in the Bahamas you are shopping. Nassau is cheaper than the out islands. Smaller resort islands like Highbourne Cay are most expensive.
Capt.Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:33   #3

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

For the most part you are correct. On avaerage about 50% higher. Some things are much higher, and a few nearly the same. On some Islands with farming you can go to the government packing houses and get good prices on fresh produce as long as you don't expect a wide variety.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:08   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Everything costs about 50% more. Meat even more. The only food that doesn't cost more is a few items that I think are price controlled such as canned corned beef, cheap cheddar cheese, and yeast.

Now in GT the prices go up when the cruisers arrive. Their summer prices are quite different. Well, someone has to pay for the "free" water and dinghy dock.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:25   #5

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

You guys are sitting in the Bahamas arguing about the exact delta of food prices between two specific countries, and finding the need to come here to solve the argument?

Is it a bit cloudy there today? Did all the lobsters leave the Bahamas? Did your volleyball pop? Did you run out of rum?

I am so sorry for your unfortunate circumstances - please bring these problems to the people living in the NE US to help you with them…

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:37   #6

Boat: Nordhavn 50

Cheap rum offsets the high coast of food!
Capt.Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:40   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
You guys are sitting in the Bahamas arguing about the exact delta of food prices between two specific countries, and finding the need to come here to solve the argument?

Is it a bit cloudy there today? Did all the lobsters leave the Bahamas? Did your volleyball pop? Did you run out of rum?

I am so sorry for your unfortunate circumstances - please bring these problems to the people living in the NE US to help you with them…

Mark

On top of the food prices ice costs a fortune and is always slushy!!
Old 07-01-2014, 06:51   #8

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Alex View Post
Cheap rum offsets the high coast of food!
Yesterday's price for rum (Old Nassau) here in Georgetown was 13.95... About the same as a decent bottle of wine.

Things are tough all over....

... Just saying.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:52   #9

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:

Mark
It really sucks being in paradise. Do you need me to come down there and wax your boat while your playing vollyball.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:53   #10

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:

Mark
Mark,

So very kind of you. On an unrelated note, the wind died last night, and I had to get out of bed to open another hatch... Even without covers or clothes on I was still slightly too warm.

Any helpful suggestions?
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:43   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck

Quote:

Mark
Well, it is a little bit cloudy here today. We're sitting at Blackpoint and it's blowin' 20-25 out of the NNE. It's still 77 degrees though. I have found that everything is at least 50-100% more here. The exception would be fuel. Still paying around 5 bucks a gallon for diesel and gas. Captain Morgan 25 bucks, soda twenty two bucks a case, cereal 8-10 bucks a box, one pound bag of chips eight bucks..etc. If you chose to use a credit card, tack on 5% to the bill. The point is, bring everything you need while here. Don't try to do a major provision while here, unless money is no object to you. If you eat out, lunches are going to average 10-12 bucks a plate. Not bad. If you eat dinner out, plan on 24-30 bucks an entrée.

We got to know the owner of Isles General Store on Staniel Cay fairly well and she explained why prices were what they were. Just to do something as simple as deposit the weeks receipts means getting on a plane and going to Nassau once a week. If you write a US check, it takes six weeks to clear! If the merchandise comes from outside the Bahamas there is a 15% import duty tacked on. Once her order is in Nassau then it has to be loaded on a boat and brought to the island. Then unloaded and brought to the store. There are a lot of hands in the pot before stuff ever hits her shelves. What she related to us was a real eye opener as why things cost so much here.

Please don't come down and complain about the prices. They are what they are and as far as we've seen the locals are not trying to overcharge the cruisers. Sure, you're gonna have to buy perishables but if you provision well before coming you'll be ok. It's a learning experience the first time. Next time we'll bring more soda, snacks, box milk, and cereal. Everything else we did fairly well stocking up on. Don't make the same mistake we did on the snacks. Even though we're not big snack eaters, we should have brought more. Reason is, you really should bring a small snack to share when invited to all the sundowners!

@ Cotemar...What's with you and all this boat waxing!!
Old 07-01-2014, 07:48   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
Mark,

So very kind of you. On an unrelated note, the wind died last night, and I had to get out of bed to open another hatch... Even without covers or clothes on I was still slightly too warm.

Any helpful suggestions?
Yes, keep it to yourself...
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:52   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid at SailAway View Post
I have found that everything is at least 50-100% more here. The exception would be fuel. Still paying around 5 bucks a gallon for diesel and gas. Captain Morgan 25 bucks, soda twenty two bucks a case, cereal 8-10 bucks a box, one pound bag of chips eight bucks..etc.
Let's turn this upside down a bit - maybe calculate the difference between fresh caught lobster, conch, grouper and hogfish in the Bahamas and what the people in Montana are paying for the same?

Still pouting over the price of Pringles?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:56   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid at SailAway View Post
@ Cotemar...What's with you and all this boat waxing!!
Wax on wax off
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wax-on-wax-off.png
Views:	211
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	73463  

Old 07-01-2014, 08:13   #15

Boat: Hunter 340

If gasoline and milk are running at $5/gallon canadians will feel right at home!
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, men, price