Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2019, 14:01   #1

Boat: Tartan 3800
Are watermakers losing their relevance?

Recently I was looking through some ads on yw and noted that none of the ~40ish foot boats I happened to be viewing were equipped with watermakers.

The water tankage on these vessels was -- to my mind -- vast. 250 gallons. It made me think. Even at 20 gallons a day that's enough for most passages.

In years past purity, availability, and cost of water in remote areas was a major concern. Has the availability situation changed? Is the vast tankage present in a larger boat enough to reduce the utility of an RO watermaker?
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 14:31   #2

Boat: Kristen 52
Re: Are watermakers losing their relevance?

No, my opinion.
We have been cruising for a little over four years in the Pacific with water makers.
Wouldn't leave home without one. I've witnessed many people struggle for water.
One might have enough for passage, but when they get to anchorage, now the search begins to find safe water, lug jerry cans for miles sometimes. Don't count on collecting rain either.
We have 500 gal water capacity but don't need it, I will be downsizing tanks to less than half that someday to gain space.
I like my fresh water shower.....

Cheers.
Old 10-01-2019, 17:07   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

All depends on where you cruise. We wouldn't be without one in the places we cruise.
Old 10-01-2019, 17:17   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

There is more to it than just passages. Just today we made probably 100 gls. Refilling the tanks and doing three loads of laundry.
Where we are in the Bahamas that means 100 gl is $35 and a lot of humping water cause it has to be jugged in Hatchet Bay.
Having a Watermaker means daily showers, and being able to do laundry with a machine onboard, washing the salt off of the boat etc., I even rinse off the anchor chain with fresh water as it’s going into the locker. I think that prevents any smell, and I think will make the chain last longer, or I hope it will anyway.
Watermakers are expensive, and I believe found mostly on cruising boats, not ones that marina hop, although that’s cruising too I guess.

Of course if you look, most boats for sale have ground tackle that is a joke too. Our didn’t even have a Windlass, three owners in 27 years and no Windlass, cause I’m sure she almost never spent a night at anchor.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 17:45   #5

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

If they installed a water maker, it would add, $5-10K + to the price of the boat.

That being said, on my N46, as I recall, it carried about 500 gallons. I did put in a 12 vt 150 gal/day water maker just to keep the tanks topped off.
On my A34, I carry 150 gal, I think my water maker is a 12vt 500 GPD.
Some port you might visit will charge you to fill your water tanks. Wouldn't it be great to go into port with full water tanks, reducing port costs?

As I recall, the Navy figures 30/day per man and we know about Navy showers. LOL
That also includes water for cooking, laundry etc.
Old 10-01-2019, 18:31   #6

Boat: Colegate 26

I think it's much less about passage and much more about not lugging over priced questionable water in jerry cans from a nearby island when living on anchor.

Not that long ago it would have been pure magic to push a button and clean water fill a glass.

Has anyone with a watermaker ever filled an anchor neighbor's water tank for them?
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 19:16   #7

In my experience they are becoming increasingly popular, i see more boats fitted with watermakers these days than i ever did in the past, that is from both new builds and retrofitted vessels.

There are more manufactures of watermakers now than ever before, this adds to choice and availability, also the more they become available and the more competition from different manufacturers, then the cheaper and more affordable they will become...

I think watermakers will soon be as common on a cruising boat as solar has become, hell only 20 years ago you were hard pressed to find a cruising boat with solar, these days you’re in the minority if you don't have it...

I love my watermaker
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 19:31   #8

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
In my experience they are becoming increasingly popular, i see more boats fitted with watermakers these days than i ever did in the past, that is from both new builds and retrofitted vessels.

There are more manufactures of watermakers now than ever before, this adds to choice and availability, also the more they become available and the more competition from different manufacturers, then the cheaper and more affordable they will become...

I think watermakers will soon be as common on a cruising boat as solar has become, hell only 20 years ago you were hard pressed to find a cruising boat with solar, these days you’re in the minority if you don't have it...

I love my watermaker
Watermaker and solar are a match made in heaven.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 00:57   #9

Realistically better than 90% of cruising boats will never make a passage of more than 2 days (probably an even higher percentage). On this forum, you see a distorted figure where a much higher percentage of people are longer distance cruisers.

Why would they spend a few thousand on a machine that is rarely used and requires regular maintenance?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:20   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Realistically better than 90% of cruising boats will never make a passage of more than 2 days (probably an even higher percentage). On this forum, you see a distorted figure where a much higher percentage of people are longer distance cruisers.

Why would they spend a few thousand on a machine that is rarely used and requires regular maintenance?
I think this is the biggest factor. Watermakers only make sense for serious cruising boats.

We have been cruising for a long time and water is becoming harder, not easier to find in all the places we have visited. Having said the above, we have still not fitted a watermaker to our new boat. It has now been over six months since we left and rain water has kept our tanks full without any need for water from shore. This will not work in very dry climates and we still plan to fit a watermaker, but if you are on the fence about fitting one, a good rainwater system can fill your tanks remarkably quickly in nothing more than light drizzle.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:56   #11

Just from bareboating/cruising...
Having to dock every few days to chase water is a waste of time, annoying and we have no idea of the quality of the water...
Yes there is the cost, weight and maintenance issue, but being independent on that regard should be very nice. BTW technology is always improving...
soares29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:26   #12

Boat: Catalina 470

It's also about convenience. I haven't lugged water to the boat for years.

Maybe I'm lazy but I like the convenience.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:32   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
I think it's much less about passage and much more about not lugging over priced questionable water in jerry cans from a nearby island when living on anchor.

Not that long ago it would have been pure magic to push a button and clean water fill a glass.

Has anyone with a watermaker ever filled an anchor neighbor's water tank for them?
Yes. At Chesterfield reef, 400 miles from the nearest fresh water, a yacht anchored near us had a water leak empty it's tank into the bilge.

We gave them 120 litres of water.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:42   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post

To me, it has very little to do with passagemaking. Most boats have adequate tankage for most passages.

Having a watermaker is about being able to be self sufficient for long periods. We frequently go 6, sometimes 10 or more weeks away from civilization. We shower every day, wash clothes and dishes in fresh water. You'd need pretty big tanks to do that.

It's about not having to constantly plan where we can get our water tanks refilled.

The freedom it gives you has to be experienced to be appreciated.

Our watermaker is in constant use, and has required very little in the way of maintenance.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:09   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
To me, it has very little to do with passagemaking. Most boats have adequate tankage for most passages.

Having a watermaker is about being able to be self sufficient for long periods.
I agree. Relying on a watermaker to supply water for a passage is not a good practice. Watermakers can and do fail.

If you are doing short term cruises, many boats can carry enough water to be comfortable, but this is not possible if you only tie up once a year or less.

In addition, full time use makes a watermaker far more practical. There is no need to pickle or even have an automated flush system. Watermakers are not well suited to occasional use.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker