Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2018, 12:48   #1

Boat: 2000 Beneteau 40CC
Any suggestions to keep in mind about Rainman water maker?

We have our Rainman Reverse Osmosis Watermaker order to arrive in a few weeks. Should we keep anything in mind for installing it?
We have the High Output, 120volt system.

Should we remember to do or NOT to do certain things?
Old 07-08-2018, 17:49   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Any suggestions to keep in mind about Rainman water maker?

Your installing it permanently I assume and not laying it on deck or something?
Your going to need a thru hull with strainer, and a way to power it of course, wire and circuit breaker and a thru hull for the brine discharge.
I know nothing about the Rainman, but if your doing an install, don’t get in a hurry, there is a lot to installing a water maker and if you work at it and get it right, you will lose very little if any storage space.
The HP pump will be loud, best if it’s not within your living space, and any plumbing and the membranes etc ought not be installed where a leak will be bad, like no hoses above your electronics. The pre filters need to be easily accessible and again nothing under them that will be hurt when you spill some water changing filters. Your going to have to mount a charcoal water filter for fresh water flushes, and of course figure a way to connect it to your water tank, and run a bypass then somewhere until you test the water, I ran mine to our shower sump.

When you mount the HP pump, try to mount it to something very solid, something that won’t magnify the vibrations which will make it noisier.

Spend a day or so dry fitting everything, I spent at least a week, the panels were my biggest challenge finding a place they would fit wasn’t easy. I went through several different plans until I got it right, but be darn sure before you start cutting holes.

Again I know nothing of the Rainman, that was just generic statements
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 17:55   #3

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: Any suggestions to keep in mind about Rainman water maker?

Carolyn over at BoatGalley just did a review with a few hints...

https://theboatgalley.com/rainman-watermaker-review/
Old 07-08-2018, 19:34   #4

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Do not ramp the pressure up or down quickly - take a few minutes for each. Its a single sentence in the manual and it indicates that the reason is that it will help the membranes last longer.

Did you get the remote pressure control valve option? If so, this gives you a lot more options for mounting the RO unit out of the way. Same with the remote prefilter option. Really... for the prefilter you can just use off the shelf PEX plumbing.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:28   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Baltic 42DP

We have had our Rainman for two seasons...in Mexico... We have the 120v unit and run it off of our Honda 2000 genset. Follow the instructions...ramp up the pressure slowly....I fill a 5 gallon bucket at the start and then use that bucket of water to flush the system after each use. We love the Rainman...only complaint might be that it is heavy and awkward to move around...we store the pump unit in the cockpit and store the membranes down below. It's a bit noisy to use with both the genset and the pump running on deck but we get easily 30 gals per hour so it's not so bad.
Try to use the cleanest source water you can access as the prefilter will get used up faster if you're using murky water.
We love it...have no plans to build it into the boat....
Baltictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 15:07   #6

Boat: C&C 40

We are driving over to Ft.Latida next friday for a hands on look see of the unit and hopefully bring one home. Comments here have been helpful...
Ted and Relinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water