Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 11:05   #211
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Any Preppers ?

Quote:
They DO feel that our culture, our global economy is pretty shaky and could be severely disrupted with little to no warning.

There are a host of threats that are within reason, maybe not probable, but not impossible.

It hurts no one to be prepared for self-rescue. It is the prudent thing really. No?

Seriously and this relates to people can use boats as an "escape" from some sort of upheaval. The point about the future is you can't predict the nature of the situation. In any major social breakdown, its unlikely short of being in an large armed group, that you will be able to defend your way of life in the face of social breakdown. One only has to look as post war scenarios to see that.

But to suggest that say Greece is in the middle of any sort of disorder is laughable, This isn't a political statement, its merely the lens effect that news media ( and bad media at that) has on the situation. Living in Greece at the moment is tougher yes, but people go to work, the bailouts proceeding an people are getting on with it. ( I know I have several friends working there).

It always seems to me that in a land the size and capability of the US, feeding yourself would be the least of your issues. And secondly you underestimate the ability of humans and their systems to adapt and survive ( we after all the cockroaches of the mammals). Gas goes to $10 a gallon, wed cope, etc etc. Preparation for a predictable and probable future is useful ( like a I will get old so retirement planning is useful, prepping for a breakdown of the social order is just laughable).

As to using a boat, thats even more laughable, may be to escape for a day or two. But as some sort of self contained "pod" nothing could be more useless. If I want to "hide" id do it on dry land every time.

Dave
Old 10-03-2012, 11:12   #212
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Seriously, folks - this thread is in danger of becoming political, and then... hang on, my crystal ball is trying to say something... yeah, then the thread will descend into social unrest, perhaps leading to mud slinging and other nasty stuff.

Please, do not discuss the politics or social status of any country. Keep discussion limited to the topic, which is prepping for zombies disaster.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:16   #213
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I agree Saucy, but you can't discuss prepping unless you discuss prepping for "what" i mean just how many ways can we discuss how to keep eegs fresh for weeks,!!

Im sorry , Ill go away now

dave
Old 10-03-2012, 11:26   #214
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I agree Saucy, but you can't discuss prepping unless you discuss prepping for "what" i mean just how many ways can we discuss how to keep eegs fresh for weeks,!!

Im sorry , Ill go away now

dave
OK, I believe there are three possible eventualities which might make us grateful for having prepared:

1 - Zombies. In which case we may as well slit our throats and quit worrying about politics.

2 - Environmental disaster with its subsequent death, disease and social unrest. In which case we will be out on our boats escaping, and politics won't matter.

3 - Political unrest with its subsequent death, disease and social unrest. In which case we will be out on our boats escaping, and politics won't matter.

Whatever. Yes, I am sure you could bring politics into it if you really try hard to be disruptive, and my husband would probably accuse me of burying my head in the sand and being naive. However, CF is Not the place to discuss the political aspects of these eventualities.

The survival aspects, however are interesting.

But my crystal ball is telling me with neon clarity that this thread will not survive if politics creep in.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:31   #215
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seidelmann 30T

So to strip all politics out of it:

If, for whatever reason, you can't get to the store to get food; or, if, for whatever reason, the people who normally bring the food to the stores can't or won't bring the food to the stores (resulting in no food in the stores); or if, for whatever reason, you have no way to pay for the food even if you did get to the store, then it's a good idea to have some food (and other basic supplies) at home to last you for a week or 2.

And, it's also a good idea to keep your boat stocked up as an alternate home in case you have to evacuate from your primary home.

(I don't want another spanking (or if I did, I'd never admit to it in public...))
Old 10-03-2012, 13:08   #216

The original question was to see if we had in preppers and how you prep ared, how, to the extent of the functions of preparing. The reasons to prepare are beyond the imagination and really is not the subject.

What do you stock and how do you keep it?

As to reasons, I never had any intentions of this going the zombie route or aliens or deep sea monsters.

If we need a reason to be prepared for a specific type of occurance, why not keep it simple and say:

Social unrest, weather related disasters, epidemics, economic collapse and zombies if you must....

Never intended this to be political in any way, sosocial unrest should cover I would think, that could come about for various situations, like Sonic Drive-In dropping the Xtra large cherry limeaid!

And really we have not gotten there, what you take or set aside, how you store it (different on a boat than in a garage) and do you use more than one place to stash your stuff?

Old 10-03-2012, 14:03   #217
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
The original question was to see if we had in preppers and how you prep ared, how, to the extent of the functions of preparing. The reasons to prepare are beyond the imagination and really is not the subject.

As to reasons, I never had any intentions of this going the zombie route or aliens or deep sea monsters.

If we need a reason to be prepared for a specific type of occurance, why not keep it simple and say:

Social unrest, weather related disasters, epidemics, economic collapse and zombies if you must....

Never intended this to be political in any way, sosocial unrest should cover I would think, that could come about for various situations, like Sonic Drive-In dropping the Xtra large cherry limeaid!

And really we have not gotten there, what you take or set aside, how you store it (different on a boat than in a garage) and do you use more than one place to stash your stuff?

Watermaker, genset, 450 gal.s of diesel tankage, 450 gal.s of water tankage, always have a few months worth of food, mostly dried goods like rice etc., wind and solar, lots of fishing gear, SSB, plenty of sails, etc. etc. Basically all the things you normally would have on a cruising boat are more than most landlubbers would prep with. The cruiser is already by default "prepped". Which is why I thought this a strange thread, I'm sure everyone here is fairly well prepped. More so than most anyway. And yes, I do have a massive arsenal of guns and ammo as well, just in case, but mostly because they're fun to shoot. But I don't spend much time or thought on this, which I think means I'm not a "prepper". I have prepped, and now I'm done. I think that's different than a "prepper", who as the name implies identifies him or herself with that as an ongoing activity. We used to call these people "doomers" on the web before the multi billion dollar survival industry decided to rebrand the phenomenon with something that sounds a little less nuts.
Old 10-03-2012, 14:27   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post

i really don't have much different than I would for any world cruise. Another part of the stocking philosophy is to buy when it is convenient - and USA/FL(with a car) is convenient. I am fully loaded and equipped to go anywhere. (except I have no steering or engines).
Although i have new E120 screens with heaps of charts I also have world wide paper charts and cruising guide - not great detail everywhere - but enough.
Short Wave radio - SSB - I never use them but have em. Perhaps a sextant? they at least look nautical.
Prepers use mylar bags, and oxygen absorbers to store food in plastic buckets - then bury.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:09   #219
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Being a moderator, I knew, just knew that this thread would eventually degenerate into politics. Thanks for that, Dave. Bad Boy.
But to be fair, on CF, anything outside the US doesn't count as "real" politics.

As I said to the Queen the other day whilst eating tea and crumpets and watching a game of cricket (being British we all take it in turns to keep the old dear company - via the Queuing system).
Old 11-03-2012, 04:23   #220
Armchair Bucketeer

I think the definition of a "Prepper" is someone who is looking forward to an EOTW scenario (for whatever reason).

Being prepared on the other hand is (IMO) just prudent. My personal anti-hurricane / anti-twister strategy is primarily wrapped around:-

a) not living in a wooden house (nor a trailer).

and

b) not living somewhere that has hurricanes or twisters.

Although, after long and hard thought, I decided against living in the shadow of an active volcano - I do live in fallout reach of a Nuclear power plant and reproccessing centre. Fortunately it is run by the French. If it was run by the Anglos I would move (Anglos not so good at managing anything complicated - hence them importing much of there nuclear energy from the French).

For me a boat makes good sense both as a run away quick option (for Nuclear fallout) and for a couple of weeks in the event of major civil unrest (100,000+ people on an island 9 x 5 miles means we will be down to eating each other within a week if the food ever stops arriving)....for me the key to surviving in an EOTW scenerio is to get back onshore at the right time - after most people are dead, but before things get too settled down (to carve own niche - amongst a group of other survivors)....the price of that may be joining a group based on Woo , but I can mumble nonsense with the best of 'em when needed (went to a Catholic school ). and even waving my arse in the air 5 times a day is doable if puts me on the winning side .

Over here we have a couple of Castles, a couple of Forts and plenty of WWII era bunkers / gun emplacements - built by the Germans, which given how they build things will be here long after armageddon .....so plenty of defendable places to expand from.

Way too much thought gone into this by me - I may be a Prepper .
Old 11-03-2012, 04:29   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I think the definition of a "Prepper" is someone who is looking forward to an EOTW scenario (for whatever reason).

Over here we have a couple of Castles, a couple of Forts and plenty of WWII era bunkers / gun emplacements - built by the Germans, which given how they build things will be here long after armageddon .....so plenty of defendable places to expand from.

Way too much thought gone into this by me - I may be a Prepper .
preppers say they hope for the best but plan for the worst. But I agree with you that they secretly or at least subconsciously wish for it...
Gun emplacements require guns. Do they allow folk to own them there?
I also have a castle handy...
Old 11-03-2012, 11:12   #222
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

As to using a boat, thats even more laughable, may be to escape for a day or two. But as some sort of self contained "pod" nothing could be more useless. If I want to "hide" id do it on dry land every time.

Dave
I never said anything about using a boat as a "pod." Never even hinted at it.

You are in Greece? Good for you. Then you know that situation. I'm in a very large Eastern city, very heavy population density, very large population with lots of disparate racial groups, who all hate one another.

If things go south, then it is likely it will start HERE or someplace like here.

The boat is a means of transport to another place more congenial. And I have those places available. Or, maybe, in the new circumstances someplace else looks attractive/better.

The point is ---- the key to survivability is FLEXIBILITY. A boat can provide a great deal of flexibility.

I can go there and take substantial belongings and a few I care about, if they care to join.

Not trying to convince you, I don't need any competition out there. Just trying to bring the conversation back to normal discourse and on topic.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:31   #223
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Closed pending staff discussion........