Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2011, 21:28   #31

Re: Any coffee drinkers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
french press and cowboy coffee are crunchy and bitter-yukkk..i use a cone filter--melitta, and make coffee as strong as i like and as fast as i need to make it with these,and without the bitterness and crunch of grounds in my cup.. best coffee i ever had with less propane usage.
Excuse me My cowboy coffee is never crunchy. There's a few grinds in the bottom of the cup when I've emptied it. None in my mouth. Ya know your candy-a** espresso has fine grinds in it Neither does it seem to age poorly ... though I drink it pretty quick ... The grinds are in the bottom of the pot so brewing is pretty much over in a minute. The few that float get skimmed off by the spout screen. Nothing to clean. Just a rinse. Nothing but coffee to buy. No dead trees.

It rocks.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 21:28   #32

Boat: Haida 26

I also use a french press, but still have a stainless percolator found in the better sporting goods stores. Hate to admit it.but also have a Mr, Coffee 4 cup I sometime use while anchored, ,,Michael..

Also had a 4 cuo Cruinart 12v pot, but used way to much power...
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 21:55   #33

Boat: Haida 26

Zee, I to use a melita #2 cone, Simple and makes a great cup. We use ours while underway. Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 22:12   #34

Location: Currently on the HARD in Guaymas Mexico and staying in Phoenix, AZ
Boat: Columbia 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I'm curious ... how's that work? The eggshell.

I use a French Press. Nissan (Thermos) makes a stainless steel one (no glass on my boat thank you) that is insulated so its stays hot longer.

Amazon.com: Thermos Nissan 34-Ounce Vacuum Insulated Stainless-Steel Gourmet Coffee Press: Home & Garden
Old field Mess tricks. Boil water, add coffee grounds. Continue to rolling boil for a while depending on Sergeants Major's taste. Take off burner. Sprinkle cold water on top, hit the side of pan with Privates fist. Grounds go to bottom. Pour off all but the bottom few inches. Give remainder to Sergeants Major and teh rest of those old crusty b@$t@rd$...
lookoutnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 23:05   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I've got a knee manual coffee grinder. Coffee that I don't grind myself isn't coffee. Have a French Press and a Thermos that will fit a #4 Melitta filter holder to brew the coffee. Use the Thermos in port with the Melitta filter. The thermos is super efficient and will keep coffee drinkable for more than 24 hours. At sea, make the coffee in a largish French Press and transfer it into the Thermos.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 23:44   #36

Boat: Other people's!

I loved those little stove top mocha pots. First step on the route to the pure heaven that is espresso. Although mochas don't really make espresso as they don't get up to the pressure of a proper espresso maker.

I now have a pro grinder and espresso maker but I suspect it'd need a genny to run it on board!

My preference for everyday joe, is a french press, I use the Bodum insulated stainless steel one.
Old 14-04-2011, 00:03   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I'm curious ... how's that work? The eggshell.

I use a French Press. Nissan (Thermos) makes a stainless steel one (no glass on my boat thank you) that is insulated so its stays hot longer.

Amazon.com: Thermos Nissan 34-Ounce Vacuum Insulated Stainless-Steel Gourmet Coffee Press: Home & Garden
I think the egg albumen creates a static charge and makes the grounds precipitate. On the other hand it might be an old wives tale without merit

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 00:11   #38
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Any Coffee Drinkers?

A few years ago I bought a mug from Caribou Coffee that has two lids - one normal, and one is a french press. Yup, it's thermal, big, and it brews your coffee right inside it just like a caffe tierre! I can't find it on their website now, but if you ever see one, buy it - it's brilliant!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 04:38   #39

Boat: Morgan 45 Enchantress

I use a real french press ( real in that I bought it outside Paris about 20 years ago) I use my grandmothers old hand grinder for the beans. Took some experimentation to figure out how many handle turns produce the proper coarseness. The press makes about a liter which I pour into a thermos as soon as it's ready. I like the press cause it's easily cleaned and IMHO a clean pot is one of the requirements for good coffee. Another is the water. My seagull filter seems to almost all the impurities and the bad taste. Bad water -- and our water after it runs though the marina pipes to the dock is not good -- will ruin your coffee even if everything else is perfect. Of course you can always add rum ...

SV Enchantress
located Herrington Harbour South, Friendship MD
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
bloodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 04:59   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Any coffee drinkers?

I'll second this one...
Tied in with my mini electric grinder/blender that runs of my cigar lighter inverter it produces a delicious cuppa Java....

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

Other Views - Click on image to change view.
have found these work very well,just dont wash in salt water or store assembled
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 05:20   #41

Boat: Able 50

One more for the press.

Mine is a common old garden variety chrome and glass Bodum and works just fine. My preferred coffee is Lavazza Crema e Gusto and has been for the past 6 years. Only a fresh espresso is better.

The new savboat will be fitted with a Gaggia Baby. mmmmmm

If you want to make a zillion dcdesign, go and invent a rubber gizmo to hold the press stable on a bench despite leaning in either direction. Right now I use stove trivets. Crude but effective.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 05:33   #42

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

Old 14-04-2011, 05:47   #43

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

I have one of the little Melitta one-cup-at-a-time drip deals like Doug that I take on deliveries. On my own boat I use a stainless steel percolator like Bill Lee. Melitta makes nice little filters that fit in the basket and keep all the grounds where they belong.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 06:06   #44

Boat: 1936 Rhodes Ketch, 46'

Hi there - I'd love to hear what kind of hand grinder you use. We're looking into that, and everything I've found so far is either big & bulky, or electric. We would be grinding both coffee beans, and flax seeds, so it needs to be able to do both. Thanks!
Viturina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 06:13   #45

Boat: 1936 Rhodes Ketch, 46'

We have an old stainless percolator, but are looking to 'upgrade' to melita (what we use at home. These insulated thermos deals sound wondrful, so I'm going to investigate
Viturina is offline   Reply With Quote