Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 04:35   #166

Re: Any Coffee Drinkers ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
no my scalded thighs are that, what keeps the thing on the top when the boat snap rolls.

Dave
You're right; they are top heavy. I always set mine in my double bowl sink which is fairly deep but then a rollicking seaway would overcome the stability of the setup in the sink, making it potentially dangerous.
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:26   #167
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if mellita is so useless at sea, then why is it i have had such excellent coffee from mine at sea????? i now have the carafe, also, and a number 4 cone--i LOVE my EXCELLENT coffee. if is rocky at sea,i make coffee in the galley sink and have a perfect cup of coffee..no spills since i got my carafe.
must learn to adapt when at sea.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:35   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
if mellita is so useless at sea, then why is it i have had such excellent coffee from mine at sea????? i now have the carafe, also, and a number 4 cone--i LOVE my EXCELLENT coffee. if is rocky at sea,i make coffee in the galley sink and have a perfect cup of coffee..no spills since i got my carafe.
Love mine too!
Old 01-05-2012, 10:47   #169

Quote:
+1,000

So easy peasy, and good to boot.
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:28   #170

Old 01-05-2012, 11:33   #171

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction View Post
You're right; they are top heavy. I always set mine in my double bowl sink which is fairly deep but then a rollicking seaway would overcome the stability of the setup in the sink, making it potentially dangerous.
We found that with quick brewing things (like when making coffee) we simply hold the thing with one hand (the other for the ship). It will not work in very bad conditions but otherwise we can have coffee brewed this way almost any day of the passage.

And when it is just too rough, we simply add hot water to a mug with coffee powder. Different taste, but not a bad thing at all on a cold night watch.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 16:44   #172

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
We do too!!!! Michael & Brenda..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 17:46   #173

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

And when it is just too rough, we simply add hot water to a mug with coffee powder. Different taste, but not a bad thing at all on a cold night watch.

b.
"Simply add hot water to a mug" is how you make coffee in a French Press And I assure you it's much better than the powder stuff It's so good, in fact, you can do without the melita fauxspresso maker
Old 02-05-2012, 04:24   #174

Seems to be a matter of personal taste. (pun intended)
Old 02-05-2012, 05:08   #175

Boat: Tartan 30

The stovetop 'espresso' makers are great. Most of them make really good coffee, I just don't like calling it espresso :shrug: I tried several of them over the course of a year. My two favorites where the tiny little single cup maker, like these, except the one I had wasn't aluminum... and the absolute best was this crazy contraption that produced a lot more pressure than all theothers and had a steamer wand on it. It was closest thing to real espresso I could get from a 'manual' maker... Found them all at thrift stores, apparently a lot of people buy stuff like this and never use them
Old 04-05-2012, 09:39   #176

Boat: Com-Pac 23/3
I am one of those people who sometimes drinks coffee black, but normally I put a bunch of junk in it. I usually add powdered creamer, cocoa and some artificial sweetener to make up something different. I got tired of pulling each of the items out to make my goofy mixture so I started pre-mixing the ingredients into one creamer container. This way I just grab the plastic container and shake in the amount I want. This is a simple but handy trick when you are sailing and want that special coffee mix.

Call me lazy.

Mike

Wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com
Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:32   #177

Boat: 29'

Callmecrazy,
Now that you have your Steam Ticket , keep your eye out for one o' these-much better in gimbals than the Bellman...but I couldn't tell you where to look. I've never seen another.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CoffeeEsspresso.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	40692

(coffee goes to top like Bialettis but is valve controlled like Bellman)
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:39   #178

Boat: Bristol 38.8

We use a Melita also, with a Bialetti for espresso. My spouse is the coffee addict (unless its espresso I prefer tea) and she won't drink coffe from a French press. She says the grounds get into the coffee.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:24   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
We use a Melita also, with a Bialetti for espresso. My spouse is the coffee addict (unless its espresso I prefer tea) and she won't drink coffe from a French press. She says the grounds get into the coffee.
so i am not the only one not liking crunchy coffee--lol presses cannot keep the grounds out of the brew and are useless. coffee sans crunch is delightful. melitta puts out.
Old 07-05-2012, 13:44   #180

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Lock top Melitta carafe is the only way !! Great coffee everytime!! all ya need is GOOD beans to start with and ya are in em !! If your a coffee holic like connie and i, ya need GOOD coffee with out grounds to just stay alive LOL