Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2021, 14:06   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Another Induction Cooktop Thread

So I had the experience of cooking on an induction burner for 2 weeks during my “confined to bed” part of the recovery.

I have to say, I absolutely hated it. The heat seemed more unpredictable than even an old resistance burner electric burner.

I’d put it on 15 (it goes to 20) to make something where that would be appropriate. I’d be sitting there waiting for it to warm up. Cold, barely heating, then my oil in the pan would literally explode as it heated up way too hot instantly.

It was wildly unpredictable and hard to control.

Sticking with propane cooking.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 14:13   #2

Boat: Adams 45
Re: Another Induction Cooktop Thread

Maybe you had a bad induction unit, or pots that weren't induction compatible? I have a countertop unit at home (and now one on the boat as a backup to the propane stove), and it works great. Fast response and completely predictable.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 14:57   #3

Boat: Benford 34ft Badger

I also have a single plate unit. It certainly is different from normal cook tops but mine at least is very controllable. What it does not deal well with is pans bigger than the recommended maximum size. In my case, 8 inches/200mm.
sailorxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 15:15   #4

Sounds like user error, or a malfunctioning unit.
Caleb_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 15:46   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Bad unit would be my guess too. I've never seen that and I've been using an induction hob now as my primary cooking appliance for quite a few years (I'm actually on my second el cheapo unit - the first one lasted about 5 years).

Very fast response and totally predictable heating.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:41   #6

Boat: Leopard 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
So I had the experience of cooking on an induction burner for 2 weeks during my “confined to bed” part of the recovery.

I have to say, I absolutely hated it. The heat seemed more unpredictable than even an old resistance burner electric burner.

I’d put it on 15 (it goes to 20) to make something where that would be appropriate. I’d be sitting there waiting for it to warm up. Cold, barely heating, then my oil in the pan would literally explode as it heated up way too hot instantly.

You didn't mention which one and other factors that delivered a bad experience. I had a bad experience sailing on a leaky teaky in a square chop in squalls 20 yrs ago but I have found better sailing since. That being said I have read both negative and positive reviews. Ours is a Kenyon. In my opinion there is a reason it is over a thousand and there are also counter top units that are under $100. My big issue with induction is the energy it uses, especially when boiling things. We have 1400ah of lithium and I still notice the usage and think its a bit extreme. With inductive specific cookware, a proper unit and plenty of power in both immediate demand and durational capacity the actual cooking is even and has a wide range of adjustment in our situation. Not sure I would engineer our galley this way again though.
wathey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:16   #7

Boat: Shannon Shoalsailer

Ours works fine though it is different than propane. Only complaint is that it takes shore power or the generator while our gas stove is better when anchored out.

Sounds like the unit you have is either defective or substandard.
Bay Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 00:39   #8

Boat: Reinke S10 - 34' Alu Junk Rig Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
. . .

. . . .

I have come to love induction, and I see many of the worlds top chefs have switched to induction long ago.
Try a different unit or suitable cookware to see what the hype is about.

All in all, I find induction offers a better cooking experience and a lower cost of ownership if you cruise a lot. So let me elaborate a little.

Pro's on boats:

- Cooler, thus great for a warm climate
(5-10% energy wasted to the environment compared to 35-65% for gas).

- Dry - as in no humidity given off, condensing everywhere.

- No chasing gas in foreign places.
(Once you have hauled heavy bottles in foreign lands of wrong size and connectors, you'll appreciate this)

- Cleaner and easy to clean

- Faster - generally 1/2 the time to warm something

Con's on boats:
As in there is no free lunch . . .

- Costly Electric energy system upgrade
(Preferably a large quality inverter running from lithium batteries and a big solar array)

- Cookware may have to be exchanged.
(Used to be really inconvenient and expensive, not so any longer. You can even get nesting sets if that is your preference.)

- A backup is recommended - so either a generator, or a non-electric cooker.
(I kept the Origo dual spirits burner on my boat. A generator is also an option)

- Noise - Induction cookers often give off a high pitched hizzz as well as fan noise. Better units give less, but still not something I appreciate.

Just my 5 € cents
Junk Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 07:33   #9

Boat: Oyster 66

Induction is better than gas IMHO. Accurate repeatability being the main advantage. On a boat, safety, convenience and weight also. Something went wrong with the OP’s test I suspect.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 17:32   #10

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I just spent 2 weeks cooking on one on a friend’s oyster, I loved it. You need the right pots, and plenty of power on the circuit.

I was a chef in a previous occupation, they were way to expensive than.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote