Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2010, 08:15   #16

Boat: Will be a Steel hulled Cape Horner
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofer View Post
First post, hope for many more great site thanks for the info!!

I am planing for long term cruising in a small power boat. Weight is a big consideration for me so I try to be as light as possible.

Is stainless cookware much better than alum? Alum is much lighter and I would rather use it.

Also what about Teflon? should I have Teflon on everything or just on a pan or two? always trying to keep it as simple as possible and have it last.

Alumenum gives you Alzheimer----------what was your question?
Old 16-01-2010, 14:19   #17

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post

As an ex racer ive got say, ... (...) ... Kudos to you for considering the weight factor ... (...) ... If you keep an eye to saving weight you will save on fuel and be more seaworthy.
Steve.
As an ex racer, I will agree/disagree:

I say: save dollars, not cents. Get rid of the genset and forget about weight saving while picking up your cooking ware. Take what serves you best and what allows you to cook the food you like, NOT what is "lighter".

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 19:02   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Take what serves you best and what allows you to cook the food you like,
Cruising is not about being miserable. The weight you save might be your dinner.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 07:51   #19
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Most researchers no longer regard aluminum as a risk factor for Alzheimer's disease.
In any case, it would be difficult to significantly reduce our exposure to aluminum, simply by avoiding the use of aluminum cookware, foil, beverage cans and other products.
Even if aluminum were clearly implicated in the development of Alzheimer's disease (which it’s NOT), these means of exposure contributes only a very small percentage of the average person's intake of aluminum.
Hi Gord, I figure you know so im asking what & where would the average person get most of the aluminum from???
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 08:06   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I'm no expert, but FWIW:
Aluminum is naturally present in foodstuffs (natural & additives), water, air, pharmaceuticals, and etc.
Due to certain additives, processed cheese and cornbread are two major contributors to high aluminum exposures in the American diet.
Based on the maximum levels reported in drinking water, about 1/4 of a person's total aluminum intake comes from water.
Some common over-the-counter medications such as antacids and buffered aspirin contain aluminum.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 09:37   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by syoder View Post
I've never cared for Teflon or any "non-stick" cookware. We bought the 8 piece stainless steel Cuisinart set (got ours at WM) and we really love it. I use the little frying pan almost daily for frying eggs and, with a shot of PAM, I don't believe you could possibly make those eggs stick. They actually slide around the pan when I'm trying to turn them. Add a steamer basket and, other than a pressure cooker, you have everything you need.
I just would add a nice stainless French press of coffee and tea, and a good BBQ.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 09:40   #22

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Hi Gord, I figure you know so im asking what & where would the average person get most of the aluminum from???
Some get it from beer cans

-Sven
Old 17-01-2010, 16:36   #23

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post
Some get it from beer cans

-Sven
There are cheaper ways, though. Especially in Sweden ;-)))

Hugs,
barnie
SXK member too
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 18:03   #24

Boat: sportscraft,30-power
Quote:
Originally Posted by syoder View Post
I've never cared for Teflon or any "non-stick" cookware. We bought the 8 piece stainless steel Cuisinart set (got ours at WM) and we really love it. I use the little frying pan almost daily for frying eggs and, with a shot of PAM, I don't believe you could possibly make those eggs stick. They actually slide around the pan when I'm trying to turn them. Add a steamer basket and, other than a pressure cooker, you have everything you need.
That set looks good and it was a deal until this year. 2009 WM shows it at $99 but the 2010 is at $149. getting close to the cost of the magma set not sure if they are any better.
Ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 18:07   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Weight? If the weight of the cookware is an issue then you really are concerned about cost. Cheap, worthless, thin, Al cookware weighs the least and costs less. Maybe that really is what you want.
Not at all concerned about cost. its all about weight for me since its a planing power boat and she does not like weight.
Old 18-01-2010, 18:14   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
As an ex racer ive got say,Kudos to you for considering the weight factor,i have noticed that many cruisers who dont have a racing background tend to load their boats down with every gadget and gizmo under the sun until they look like a floating yard sale and sail like they look.You are wise to consider weight when selecting every item that goes on board, take care of the ounces and let the pounds take care of themselves.
On the cookware,im not much of a cook but i can tell you that aluminum is approximatly 1/3rd of the weight of SS so if the thickness is not 3x that of the SS its going to be lighter,what you can do is do an honest evaluation of what you actually use and you may find you dont need an 8 piece set but can get by just fine with 3 or 4 pieces,a big weight savings.Another thing i do when selecting anything for a boat such as hardware is take a small digital hanging scale and weigh things and compare in the store,i also have a gram scale at the shop to weigh things like blocks to compare them to the published weight in the catalog,manufacturers lie.If you keep an eye to saving weight you will save on fuel and be more seaworthy.
Steve.
as you probably know from being a racer that there are certain thinks that you can't compromise without sacrificing safety and certain things you can. I am just trying to save weight where I can the boat is heavy enough as is.
Old 18-01-2010, 18:16   #27

If you plan on cooking frequently (you do say "long-term" cruising) then my advice would be to buy the best pots and pans you can afford. My favourite are the titanium scanpan range. Buy fewer rather than lighter if you really care about the total weight. Good pans often do weigh more but cooking with bad pans SUCKS.

Save the weight in areas where it doesn't affect performance - crockery, etc etc etc
paradix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 18:17   #28

WOW THIS IS A GREAT SITE

I just found a new home.
Old 18-01-2010, 18:23   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradix View Post
If you plan on cooking frequently (you do say "long-term" cruising) then my advice would be to buy the best pots and pans you can afford. My favourite are the titanium scanpan range. Buy fewer rather than lighter if you really care about the total weight. Good pans often do weigh more but cooking with bad pans SUCKS.

Save the weight in areas where it doesn't affect performance - crockery, etc etc etc
I just looked at those and REALY like what I see
Old 19-01-2010, 11:34   #30
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i use whatever i feel like using--weight factor be damned--isnt going to make that much of a difference in a cruising boat to have "da kine" cookware lol....there are many kinds of cookware--what do you use at home in your house?? that is what you should use cruising...be comfortable. if you sail a performance cruiser, make sure you have stowage for what you bring lol---i have a heavy cruiser--isnt important how much stuff weighs--lol----like a a pan will make a difference on the water line lol-- i use good quality aluminum with non stick of good quality that doensnt burn off the pan and i can use this pan as a baking site for biscuits and such--LOL--as if it were a dutch oven--stainless steel causes burns in food--i dislike it for cooking. heavy cast pans hurt my hands to lift so i donot use except under certain conditions....lol---and when i am in a passage that is not comfortable for cooking--i donot !!! LOL......is why gods made finger foods lol.....best rice cooking pan is a heavy good quality alum with tight fitting lid and nonstick surface lol.....learned that from my filipina friends in nursing lol......never buy the 9.99 special pans--the teflon doesnt last lol...always buy what you would use in your kitchen normally .....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote