Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2014, 08:16   #1

Alcohol Stove Replacement

"The Keefer" came with this old pressurized alcohol burner top. I have no worries about using it because I have been around them for some time. I am more worried about family using it when I am not watching.

Any recommendations for a replacement that would be a fairly close fit? I don't favor any one fuel over the other, so I am open to most any idea. I will be doing some gunkholing in the coming spring.

Thx........John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3665.JPG
Views:	825
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	92405  
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 20:47   #2

Boat: Rinker 24
Re: Alcohol Stove Replacement

I don't know if there are any legalities preventing this, but if your main concern is ease of use for family I'd consider a drop-in gas cooktop made for an RV.

I grabbed this pic off the web as an example:

Wedgewood Vision 17" Drop-In 2-Burner Cook Tops - Stainless Steel - Atwood Mobile 56494 - Counter & Stove Tops - Camping World

Another option is to think whether or not you want to do a bit of cabinetry work and make a cut out for a proper marine stove with oven, it looks like you may be able to fit one in there.
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 22:05   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I think the Origo 4100 was built as a non-pressurized replacement for your stove.
Old 28-11-2014, 07:27   #4

Boat: Alberg #0

Second vote for the original. One on my boat and I just love its simplicity. Cooks great and v similar to propane without the downside.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 07:42   #5

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBWhite View Post
I don't know if there are any legalities preventing this, but if your main concern is ease of use for family I'd consider a drop-in gas cooktop made for an RV......................
Legalities - No. Worries about waking up dead one morning or blowing up your boat and family - Yes, quite a few.

Boats are not just RVs with the wheels taken off. There are some serious requirements for the safe installation of propane appliances on boats, starting with the storage of propane and ending with the appliances themselves. It can be done and even by a serious and competent boatowner but you need to get the requirements, understand them and follow them to the letter and you need to use an approved marine appliance.

I've never used a pressurized alcohol stove so I don't know about safety issues or about cooking with one. I have cooked on a non pressurized alcohol stove and I have cooked on a marine propane stove. The difference is like cooking with a candle or a blowtorch. For serious or even semi-serious cooking, propane wins hands down. Just be sure it's installed and used correctly.
Old 29-11-2014, 12:02   #6

Boat: Alberg 35

I have and use an Origo non-pressurized stove. I love it. Yes, propane would be faster but then... it's a sailboat, nothing on it is fast. I used to use a pressurized alcohol stove that always scared the crap out of me. I like this: heats things without fear. Perfect.
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 21:38   #7

After 6 months in the Caribbean, I had to get rid of the Alcohol stove. I bought alcohol 3 times and every time it was wetter and wetter. Alcohol has an affinity for water so any moisture around it, it grabs. I went to the before mentioned Camper stove from a 1978 pickup camper. It had three burners and a thermostatically controlled Oven. I trashed all the pilot lites except the one in the oven. It went out when you turned the oven off. I mounted two 5 lb. aluminum tanks under the Stainless wheel and attached to the column with locking clamps. I bought regular propane hose and an electric shut off valve. The valve went right against the regulator. The regulator I controlled from the Galley right next to the stove, with a red signal light to tell me that it was on or off. worked like a charm. Mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:26   #8
JSP

I already posted an interesting (I hope ) information for ORIGO stove users:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1695217

More info about canister sealing lids here: http://www.projectgaia.com/wp-conten...-Stove-new.pdf

regards
Jack
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men