Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2015, 20:18   #16

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: alchool on board and customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
Boy, you've had a rough time of it! Was this in/around the Pacific?...
Let's see if I can remember them all:

Been charged duty in the good ol' US of A, Canada, Australia (the first time the Canadian Customs guy couldn't be bothered and told me not to bring more than the limit the next time. I did - and got charged duty/taxes - no problem). I do honestly declare what I am carrying.

Had the locker sealed in a number of places in Central and South America, the Pacific, and Africa. In most cases no inventory taken, so as long as the seal stays intact

Was advised not to show up with booze in a few essentially 'dry' countries (Brunei and Sudan come to mind) and have had what little we had left seized on entry.

Have also been too many places to list that simply didn't care, didn't ask, or at the most tried to ascertain that we weren't bringing anything with intent to sell.

In all that time have never had a problem of any kind, just a difference in laws and attitude, and we try to respect both wherever we travel.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:11   #17

Boat: Feltz Scorpion II 12m bermudia rig pilothouse

Hi the boat being sovereign part of it's country, only applies to Warships which of course must gain permission to enter the country's waters beforehand.
davefrediam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:19   #18

lol

actually i have 16 bottle of wine, 2 small rum (30cl) and 1 big brandy (700ml) 3 bottle of beer, (we don't like it)...but an half has been gifted as christmas and not yet drunk..so ordinary we have like 6-7 botttle of wine..3 me, 3 gf... i guess/ hope is intended has personal use...for sure being polite and wear long trousers, and they are always right it is sure a working method to avoid problem
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 00:48   #19
Marine Service Provider

Most civilized countries don't care about booze or guns as long as the guns are secure and both stay on board. In Tahiti there is even a store where you can go with your clearing in paperwork and buy tax-free booze (all you want, apparently) but you must immediately move it on board and not take it ashore while in French Polynesian waters. That's what I mean by "civilized".
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:52   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Most civilized countries don't care about booze or guns as long as the guns are secure and both stay on board. In Tahiti there is even a store where you can go with your clearing in paperwork and buy tax-free booze (all you want, apparently) but you must immediately move it on board and not take it ashore while in French Polynesian waters. That's what I mean by "civilized".

sorry i'm italian i don't know what does civilized country and wise governament means

End OT
Old 02-07-2015, 05:33   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
...most tried to ascertain that we weren't bringing anything with intent to sell.
That's the main thing for most countries. As you mentioned, there are a few exceptions where any liquor is strictly forbidden and they won't let you bring in even a little. But the vast majority of countries only want to be sure that you aren't trying to bring in enough to make a business of selling and trading it.
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 15:53   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

It's easy, just sail places where the prices of alcohol aren't so high. How much booze do you need for a passage and carry that.

I think the farther north you sail, the more expensive the alcohol. Go south.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 16:56   #23

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
It's easy, just sail places where the prices of alcohol aren't so high. How much booze do you need for a passage and carry that.

I think the farther north you sail, the more expensive the alcohol. Go south.
Yes, but have you priced tonic water in the Caribbean? Time to drink rum martinis!
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 01:59   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
Yes, but have you priced tonic water in the Caribbean? Time to drink rum martinis!
Lol like 5 euro a shweppes tonic?

Sure buy long term food and drink where are cheaper is a goos strategies

Tags
customs