Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2018, 18:31   #106

Boat: Albin Vega 27
Re: 27ft cruising reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by james247 View Post
I like two things sailing/cruising and renovating boats. I've owners boats from 16 feet to 65 feet. My current love affair is 24 feet. Whilst length isn't everything two things happen the larger one goes - speed and bulk.
Both of these add to the safety of sailing. The speed has you at sea for less time. This gives you better ability to dodge weather and generally puts you more in control of your like. The bulk has no end of benefits. The most important in my experience is the ability to be dry. Extra clothes distance between bed and cockpit. More and better food options. Safety gear and life quality equipment.
For me small boats are great for a couple of days. To cruise the world my ideal single handed boat is a ketch of 45 to 55 feet crew are an optional benefit and one is plenty.
35 feet is a nice size. Can carry good sails with options a good sized motor, a galley capable of preparing healthy quality food, a berth that is not a storage area but a clean tidy welcoming space. Then there all those other things that are not essential but are greatly comforting like gps,ais, wind instruments, pressure cooker, a second set of bed sheets need I go on. O let's not forget the mirror scissors comb and razor soap and even a shower. And bless it a dedicated toilet not a converted berth or a bucket in the cockpit.
All boats are a cork in bad weather the bigger they are the more controllable they are
It's simple it's all about quality of life - your life. [emoji274][emoji943][emoji285][emoji276]
This!! I agree with everything you said. I didn't have a toilet when I bought my boat and the boat shop composting heads were too big to fit in my small space, so I built one. It came out really nice, and most people who see it cant believe it is not store bought. But at the end of the day it is still just a fancy poop bucket.
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 19:10   #107

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
In fact, with few exceptions, the officials find me much more interesting than the average cruiser and are usually very friendly.
Sean, considering the number of posts from you tht were complaining about how officials in New Zealand and IIRC the USA mistreated you... well, the above quote is a bit astonishing. Or have you forgotten about that?

And few who know Ann or i would describe us as snobby Yacht Club types. To borrow a line from a friend, going formal for me is wearing underwear... perhaps an exaggeration, but true to type. And yet I always tidy up before dealing with clearance officials, and have personally observed folks not showing this minimal respect for the authority of these officials being ignored or placed at the end of the queue, or having their boat tossed where others were not.

Perhaps you have such a winning persona that you escape such treatment, although your previous stories suggest that it sometimes fails... but for us regular humans, a bit of courtesy and respect is a better practice. It is certainly a simple way to smooth one's entry into a new country.

Jim
Old 07-02-2018, 19:19   #108

Boat: Boatless at the moment

From noonsite, Brazil: As with ALL official places in Brazil, the wearing of slacks is mandatory and arriving in shorts or bermudas is likely to entail have access refused. It is also advisable to a wear a reasonably plain collared polo shirt or similar.

You don't get passed the guard at the gate....
Tricolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 21:57   #109

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
To me, there's an irony here. You had one guy say take out the inboard engine--DON'T-- and put on an o/b. Don't, basically not as reliable, boat's designed for the inboard, just don't. If you use the i/b only for entering and leaving port, it will give you many thousands of hours of trouble free service. Don't ditch it for illusory storage and less reliability. It will keep you safe, and help you.
I agree, if you have a good working inboard (especially if its a diesel,) and you are going to have an engine, the weight is better placed indoors. Now, even though I have an outboard (by necessity) I am not necessarily endorsing this, but I must say it sure piqued my interest... hadn't seen it before. The owner of Windpilot sent me this shot, I thought you (or others) might find it interesting...
... so it is possible...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hnpdnnnbpdbdefkf.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	163703  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 23:25   #110

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I agree, if you have a good working inboard (especially if its a diesel,) and you are going to have an engine, the weight is better placed indoors. Now, even though I have an outboard (by necessity) I am not necessarily endorsing this, but I must say it sure piqued my interest... hadn't seen it before. The owner of Windpilot sent me this shot, I thought you (or others) might find it interesting...
... so it is possible...
That is an interesting setup. Just think, if I added that setup to my 27ft boat it would then be a 32ft. Voila, problem solved!
just joking.
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:55   #111

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Can you survive on say 5 litres per person per day?
Once upon a time, in a bygone era, we calculated 2 litre per person and day, and that worked out perfectly

Cruising was very different 30 years ago. Boats on average were much smaller. A Vega is a very capable boat, and I can see no problem at all with capacity for 2 persons. Just the comfort will be different.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:04   #112

Boat: no boat any more

"...Cruising was very different 30 years ago..."
(I definitely am no fan of "the-good-old-times"....just sayin...
Old 08-02-2018, 02:09   #113
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 27ft cruising reality

140litre tank on a Bene 321 lasted me on a 47day nonstop passage from SXM to the UK with a few litres to spare.. It can and used to be done.. just need a bit of common sense.
If your in a life raft would you drink a bottle of water in one go... or just enough to slake the thirst..
2litres a day is the minimum for normal functioning on land.. at sea the body disperses less fluids and the body absorbs moisture from the atmosphere.. at sea you burn less energy.. perspire less unless you have some physical condition.
Excessive fluid consumption is like excessive food.. a habit not a need..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

A Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:26   #114

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Why would you worry about being groomed while sailing?

I deal with officials in whatever shorts and flip flops I happen to be wearing

Are you exmilitary and thinking you might get inspected?

I was at an anchorage recently and saw this couple get off their sailboat and into their dinghy. The guy had his shirt tucked in, a belt on, and maybe dock shoes and I was thinking what the hell?
It's not so much a worry as a personal preference. Look I was born in 1962 in Florida. I grew up a hippie. I had a ponytail half way down my back when I was younger. And that was before AND after 6 years in the Navy. But at some point I got tired of spending time on my hair. But really length of hair is not the point.

As I can see from a lot of the posts that followed mine people have different ideas of whats acceptable or whats snobbish and other ideas.

To me, its a matter of respect for myself and other people. I've been to other countries. I did two Med cruises, a North Atlantic cruise and I've been through the Panama Canal. I have a lot of respect for people that don't live the way I do and if and when I go visit their country I'm going to do my best to respect their way of life.

Its not difficult to be clean and presentable while sailing in small boats. Length of hair is not important. As far as bo goes, hey, every body has its own smell. In the tropics you sweat. Simple as that. Its not as big a deal, especially in the far out places. Who puts on deodorant to go to the beach ? That's essentially where live while cruising.

Respect man. Its all about respect, for me and other guy. Not trying to say anything specific about anybody. Just saying how I feel about it. I don't want anyone getting the feeling I'm flaming them here.
OldManMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:29   #115

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
Respect man. Its all about respect, for me and other guy. Not trying to say anything specific about anybody. Just saying how I feel about it. I don't want anyone getting the feeling I'm flaming them here.
My idea of respect is to be clean and take care of one's body.

Being totally out of shape and all dressed up means little in my book

As far as dressing while on the boat, I'll still be in gym shoes or flip flops, shorts and tee shirt during the summer regardless. So far in the past six years, I've had one stop at a marina while out on my boat the rest of the time I'm anchored somewhere out in the boonies so to speak.

My sailing/cruising is to escape the 6 million people in this area and get off the grid a bit. As far as full time cruising, I'm still thinking that over. Not sure I could just be on the boat and nothing else so comparing the way I dress to long distance cruisers meeting customs is nice but are two entirely different things.

Also as a boss in an office, the first thing I do on Fridays before sailing is get out of my "work" clothes and go native so to speak

As long as I can still do most of the things I could do when I was much younger I'm pretty happy with myself. How I dress doesn't have a lot to do with that

I was military for 6 years (marines) where they were absolutely nuts about how you dressed, your hair length, which lace on your boot was over the other, and so on.

The attached pictures show about as close to civilization as I usually get when sailing, kayaking, hiking or running on one of my "cruises."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02065.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	163708   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02067.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	163709  

Name:	DSC02086.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	407.8 KB
ID:	163711  
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:44   #116

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Were it me..
I'd invest in an extra battery and solar panel to charge and run a tiller pilot.. Hell even if you bought a spare tiller pilot for redundancy it'd still be only half the price of a wind vane.
Folks may swear buy them but for me its a TP any day.
Agree. And you probably do not need the water maker. Buy some bladder or cans for extra water storage. Or - bottled water. Very cheap in many places of the world.

On a small boat it is best to keep things simple.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:05   #117

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolor View Post
From noonsite, Brazil: As with ALL official places in Brazil, the wearing of slacks is mandatory and arriving in shorts or bermudas is likely to entail have access refused. It is also advisable to a wear a reasonably plain collared polo shirt or similar. You don't get passed the guard at the gate....
Not just customs or immigration, but Viv and I regularly use local yacht clubs for drinks or a shower. Showers normally free and drinks at reduced prices to members.

This friendly approach to allowing fellow yachties to use their facilities is appreciated and of of course reciprocal. However, turning up in beach wear when members are dressed in slacks and a shirt just doesn't cut it.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:09   #118
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 27ft cruising reality

I get shocked stares from fellow cruisers.. I don't wear flip flops, shorts and garish shirt hanging outside my belt.. I wear socks, boots, jeans or trousers, long sleeved shirt and hat ashore.. even in SXM, Karachi, or Darwin.. not comfortable in shorts and flip flops.
But.. if this is how a 'Yacht Club Snob' dresses.. there's not many of us out there..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img005.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	163713  

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

A Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:48   #119

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Not just customs or immigration, but Viv and I regularly use local yacht clubs for drinks or a shower. Showers normally free and drinks at reduced prices to members.

This friendly approach to allowing fellow yachties to use their facilities is appreciated and of of course reciprocal. However, turning up in beach wear when members are dressed in slacks and a shirt just doesn't cut it.

Pete
This slacks and shirt thing at the Yacht Club probably has a lot to do with weather unless it's an event of some sort.

Along the Gulf Coast in Summer (where it can get super hot) during the years I raced beach cats down there, even the Yachties were in shorts, but of course, they also wore their standard issue deck shoes etc and maybe an Hawaiian shirt

4-5 of the local yacht clubs along the coast there used to allow the beach cat racers to invade them a couple times each year for races.

By the time we had the Skippers Meeting, many of us were already quite sweaty from boat setup.

It was always interesting..........especailly after the race with post race arguments and beer while taking the boats down. Then it was off to the yacht club to finish off the keg etc
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:30   #120

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
This slacks and shirt thing at the Yacht Club probably has a lot to do with weather unless it's an event of some sort.

Along the Gulf Coast in Summer (where it can get super hot) during the years I raced beach cats down there, even the Yachties were in shorts, but of course, they also wore their standard issue deck shoes etc and maybe an Hawaiian shirt

4-5 of the local yacht clubs along the coast there used to allow the beach cat racers to invade them a couple times each year for races.

By the time we had the Skippers Meeting, many of us were already quite sweaty from boat setup.

It was always interesting..........especailly after the race with post race arguments and beer while taking the boats down. Then it was off to the yacht club to finish off the keg etc
In Brazil but i think the whole of South America, dress conservatively for visits to government buildings. Women should avoid tank tops, flip-flops, miniskirts or shorts in these locations. Men should wear business attire. This dress code is generally adhered to throughout Brazil but is strictly enforced in the government buildings.
Tricolor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising