Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2018, 02:48   #76

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: 27ft cruising reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

When I'm tired I crash till I wake naturally or the boat wakes me.
Seem to remember an old couple on another forum explaining that once offshore they went to bed together each night and woke in the morning refreshed. Sails were reduced but the boat was left to its own devices.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:22   #77
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 27ft cruising reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Seem to remember an old couple on another forum explaining that once offshore they went to bed together each night and woke in the morning refreshed. Sails were reduced but the boat was left to its own devices.

Pete
That's it exactly.. I reef the main right down at sunset/last light.. trim/furl the genoa to a size the TP/WP's comfortable with then make supper, chill in the cockpit with a coffee and smoke after eating and cleaning up then get my head down.. in the tropics quite often its in the cockpit looking at the stars and meteors till I nod off.. otherwise its the downside berth in the saloon.
Sails alert me to wind shifts, motion alerts me to building sea and winds.. the only thing to tend when going topside is the genoa.. body wakes me for a look around as well..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

A Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:06   #78

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyfish View Post
I have spent thousands on my current boat and am not savvy to spend any more if there is a possibility that it would be sub-standard platform. I also want to be able to maintain clean-cut, semi-professional look instead of looking like a beach bum. Apologies to the Captain Ron look alike, but that just isn't my look, especially in the resort areas. I would put my future spending money into a larger boat. Do I have big boat-itis or just unrealistic snobbery...? Cheers anyways.
I missed this part about wanting to maintain a semi-professional look. To me that really shows the difference among sailors.

After working my entire life where you must be/dress somewhat professional, that would be the last thing on my mind if I were to go cruising long distance. Even cruising locally, I don't worry about it since I'm usually sailing, hiking, kayaking, or diving on the boat. A bath in the cockpit as needed works just fine.....

Beside the boat and sailing, my main concern is fitness and diet. Not my look.

Although I did change into my favorite anchor checking out fit here:

I'd be much more worried about my boat, sails, supplies, and so on. And as far as resort areas, why would you want to go there?

In my case though, I already got to spend years hanging out at the beach scene along the Gulf Coast and racing Beach Cats......so I'd most probably opt for a quieter scene especially during Spring Break
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:41   #79

Boat: no boat any more

it is eminently doable, what you have in mind - if it is doable (& not to forget enjoyable!) for you - you'll have to find out. As Casey(Hackler write: "don't burn all your bridges, but burn a few. the fun & adventure we had on our 1st rtw on a boat that gave the trip "expedition-character" could not be replicated on rtw 2 or 3 on a comparatively luxurious boat! (but then: there is always only ONE first time, & one is younger too...9
btw: on trip no 1 the 24 or so footers struck us as very comfortable compared to our Wharram...
Old 07-02-2018, 04:57   #80

Boat: sabre 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Pete
Seem to remember another 27' Vega couple (Chuck & Leah?) that would heave to. Get a good nights rest & continue on in the morning.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:05   #81

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I missed this part about wanting to maintain a semi-professional look. To me that really shows the difference among sailors.

After working my entire life where you must be/dress somewhat professional, that would be the last thing on my mind if I were to go cruising long distance. Even cruising locally, I don't worry about it since I'm usually sailing, hiking, kayaking, or diving on the boat. A bath in the cockpit as needed works just fine.....

Beside the boat and sailing, my main concern is fitness and diet. Not my look.

Although I did change into my favorite anchor checking out fit here:

I'd be much more worried about my boat, sails, supplies, and so on. And as far as resort areas, why would you want to go there?

In my case though, I already got to spend years hanging out at the beach scene along the Gulf Coast and racing Beach Cats......so I'd most probably opt for a quieter scene especially during Spring Break
Yes, semi-professinal look would only be in civilization (which I try to avoid mostly). However, being an aircraft mechanic for 28 years I have noticed that people tend to treat you as less intelligent when you have an unclean and unkempt appearance. I had greasy dirty looking hands for 6 months after I retired. They are normal looking now. As an example, my wealthy friends (who's airplanes I maintained) would drag me off to a nice restaurant during my lunch break. I would try to clean up as best as possible. I realize my friends were just being friendly. The waiting staff at the establishment would always treat me differently, especially on the occasions that I arrived before them. In aircraft sales, first impression is 90% of the sale. Unfortunately, it is that way with people too.
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:27   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
You may have some plans to cruise the fjords and islands of BC but if not, have you considered trailering her down to, say, San Francisco and starting from there?
The trailer is very handy. It has afforded me the ability move the boat to any location I choose. Refitting was made much easier with the boat in my backyard. I have considered trailering it to SoCal. It would be convenient thing to do, except for truck and trailer storage.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:40   #83

Quote:
Yes, semi-professinal look would only be in civilization (which I try to avoid mostly). However, being an aircraft mechanic for 28 years I have noticed that people tend to treat you as less intelligent when you have an unclean and unkempt appearance. I had greasy dirty looking hands for 6 months after I retired. They are normal looking now. As an example, my wealthy friends (who's airplanes I maintained) would drag me off to a nice restaurant during my lunch break. I would try to clean up as best as possible. I realize my friends were just being friendly. The waiting staff at the establishment would always treat me differently, especially on the occasions that I arrived before them. In aircraft sales, first impression is 90% of the sale. Unfortunately, it is that way with people too.
I see your point but at my age, 60 plus, it just doesn't matter to me.

I've been treated just about every way one can be treated as have most folks my age. (I've been called Undercover Boss more than once which could be due to taking a few days off from shaving especially in cold weather)

Also, I sort of enjoy looking rough but knowing I can afford what I want and am quite well read and educated.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:58   #84

Quote:

I've been treated just about every way one can be treated as have most folks my age. (I've been called Undercover Boss more than once which could be due to taking a few days off from shaving especially in cold weather)

Also, I sort of enjoy looking rough but knowing I can afford what I want and am quite well read and educated.
Funny. I think Mark Twain said "every time I tried to learn something new my education got in the way". Fortunately for me my education ended early in life.
Old 07-02-2018, 13:20   #85

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Quote:

Lol, you are such a rebel !

I know what you mean though. I worked for a couple of years with a yacht broker. Man, some people sure do think their bleep don't stink !

I'm in about the same position as you now. I run my own business and business is pretty good. Definitely not getting rich but doing alright. Hey, I can afford my own yacht, I must be rich ! And so I dress to be comfortable as much as I can.

As far as personal appearance onboard, I'm a buzz cut guy and I like my electric razor. Should be pretty easy to stay well groomed. Keep a decent set of dockers and a button up shirt for dealing with officials and it ought to all work out ok !

And I love a good sunshower in the cockpit ! Makes you feel alive !!!
OldManMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 13:50   #86

One thing is for sure, I cant wait to get to warmer climates. I have never had a sunshower on a boat. I've been rained on in July and its still cold. Bathing takes real effort on a small boat when its cold. Up in this part of the world wearing cold weather gear is the norm all year round. It gets tiring lugging it around, restricting your movement, and it snags on everything. Wearing shorts and tee shirt while barefoot sounds like paradise. I can keep a couple of button up shirts and slacks on board but I don't want to stink of B.O. and dirty laundry like the off-grid people do around here. I've been to other cruisers boats and it seems the smell has become normalized to them, meaning they don't notice what the rest of us do. I saw a Pearson 365 that had a shower stall, man that would be nice!
Old 07-02-2018, 14:24   #87

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
That's it exactly.. I reef the main right down at sunset/last light.. trim/furl the genoa to a size the TP/WP's comfortable with then make supper, chill in the cockpit with a coffee and smoke after eating and cleaning up then get my head down.. in the tropics quite often its in the cockpit looking at the stars and meteors till I nod off.. otherwise its the downside berth in the saloon.
Sails alert me to wind shifts, motion alerts me to building sea and winds.. the only thing to tend when going topside is the genoa.. body wakes me for a look around as well..

I don't do over night cruising but I do have a question. Do you leave your radar (if you have radar) on to alert you of oncoming traffic? Things can go bump in the night if not careful.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 14:51   #88

Boat: Bristol 32

Hey, you want to know what can be done in an Albin Vega? Get the book 'Berserk' by Mercer. Down to Antarctica and back from Patagonia, with a lawn mower power head on an outboard lower unit for an aux. Cotton clothing. Five GPS handheld units in a pelican box for nav, four of which were nonfunctional at the end of the trip.

Now, I'm not going to say that these guys were safe, or anything. In fact, more than once, I had to check that I was holding their book in my hands just to make sure they got back alive. I think they're nuts. But they did do it, for what it's worth. In an Albin Vega, with essentially no engine. Ah, youth.
Mainebristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 15:42   #89

Boat: J/42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainebristol View Post
Hey, you want to know what can be done in an Albin Vega? Get the book 'Berserk' by Mercer. Down to Antarctica and back from Patagonia, with a lawn mower power head on an outboard lower unit for an aux. Cotton clothing. Five GPS handheld units in a pelican box for nav, four of which were nonfunctional at the end of the trip.

Now, I'm not going to say that these guys were safe, or anything. In fact, more than once, I had to check that I was holding their book in my hands just to make sure they got back alive. I think they're nuts. But they did do it, for what it's worth. In an Albin Vega, with essentially no engine. Ah, youth.
Aren't those the same guys who died a couple of years ago, trying to do that again? Though I seem to recall they got a bigger boat... Trying to run unlicensed "pirate" cruises or some such scheme IIRC.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 16:20   #90

Quote:
One thing is for sure, I cant wait to get to warmer climates. I have never had a sunshower on a boat. I've been rained on in July and its still cold. Bathing takes real effort on a small boat when its cold. Up in this part of the world wearing cold weather gear is the norm all year round. It gets tiring lugging it around, restricting your movement, and it snags on everything. Wearing shorts and tee shirt while barefoot sounds like paradise. I can keep a couple of button up shirts and slacks on board but I don't want to stink of B.O. and dirty laundry like the off-grid people do around here. I've been to other cruisers boats and it seems the smell has become normalized to them, meaning they don't notice what the rest of us do. I saw a Pearson 365 that had a shower stall, man that would be nice!
Your biggest problem will be the heat down South especially since you are coming down from Alaska

The Gulf Coast from say July through September can be like an Oven. I lived in Pensacola for 12 years and raced sailboats but also got way into cycling.

On the bike, coming back from a 50-60 mile ride at 11am the temps were sometimes already in the 90's inland 20 miles

This will be your biggest adjustment.

Example, when I came back up here for employment in 2009, the temp was 44 degrees in the morning and I was freezing. Now that's a nice winter day

One of my guys from Maine told me what his dad always said, if it's cold you can always add more clothing, but when it's hot, there's only so much you can take off.

You need to price into your budget air conditioning and marina time to run it, but it probably cooler on the coast you will be sailing down

Tags
cruising