Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2015, 14:16   #16

Boat: Mariner 31 ketch (in Mexico)
Re: 2015 New Zealand food restrictions?

More fruit flies were found fairly recently, at Whangarei I think, and it was suggested that they might have arrived with fruit carried on a yacht.
The National Party currently running the country had cut MAF funding which meant less stringent checking of arrivals, but since the arrival of the kiwifruit disease PSA, and the tomato/potato psyllid, more Border Security sniffer dogs are being trained, and they are very efficient - I was stopped at the airport last year because they smelled the mint leaves I'd put in my pocket 3 weeks earlier.
When we came into Opua anything 'viable' (capable of growth) was taken, plus honey, feathers, etc. So use it or chuck it. The NZ dollar is worth about 25% less than it was 6 months ago, so replacing your stock won't hurt so much.
There's now a great farmer's market in Kerikeri on Saturdays.
southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 14:41   #17

All of these suggestions are good, particularly from my compatriot GrahamHO.
DEFINITELY declare all foods. NZ Agriculture border inspections are thorough and friendly unless you try to beat the system....a bit like American road cops, only ours don't carry guns! Correction: Ours, including Customs, access them quickly if they think they need them!!!
You could check, but in response to one offering here, I'm pretty sure Customs and Agriculture are permanently staffed in their office at the Opua wharf during office hours. When you radio for clearance on approach they will direct you. It's a beautifully sheltered area in the Bay of Islands so no hassle even if you have to stay on board to wait. By the first week in November most of the race fleet will have returned to Auckland.
I saw a statistic the other day that overseas boat arrivals in Opua have risen to more than 500 a year. You will find all the facilities you need. Good sailing.
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 16:16   #18

Boat: Adams 42

Some years ago I had a couple of seal teeth confiscated on entry to NZ.
The reason given was it was from a protected species.
The contents of the vacuum cleaner also joined the exodus.
Declare it all for New Zealand's sake.
You will enjoy the people, the hospitality and the ice cream.
Cheers
Frugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 16:20   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugal View Post
Some years ago I had a couple of seal teeth confiscated on entry to NZ.
The reason given was it was from a protected species.
The contents of the vacuum cleaner also joined the exodus.
Declare it all for New Zealand's sake.
You will enjoy the people, the hospitality and the ice cream.
Cheers
Seals are protected? They're a nuisance in a lot of parts of Canada.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-08-2015, 16:33   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw View Post
More fruit flies were found fairly recently, at Whangarei I think, and it was suggested that they might have arrived with fruit carried on a yacht.
The National Party currently running the country had cut MAF funding which meant less stringent checking of arrivals, but since the arrival of the kiwifruit disease PSA, and the tomato/potato psyllid, more Border Security sniffer dogs are being trained, and they are very efficient - I was stopped at the airport last year because they smelled the mint leaves I'd put in my pocket 3 weeks earlier.
When we came into Opua anything 'viable' (capable of growth) was taken, plus honey, feathers, etc. So use it or chuck it. The NZ dollar is worth about 25% less than it was 6 months ago, so replacing your stock won't hurt so much.
There's now a great farmer's market in Kerikeri on Saturdays.
They also have Beagles at AKL airport trained to detect money. Customs want to know if you have more than $10,000 cash stuffed in your pockets. They are concerned with money laundering like in most countries. They've never stopped me.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 16:47   #21

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

New Zealand is much like Australia in it's isolation and therefore it's quarantine regs.
In Aust if the food is commercially prepared and packed, is shelf stable and doesn't require refrigeration prior to opening, has a use by date and batch number on the packaging it is usually ok.
All seeds and nuts must be likewise treated, that is nothing viable is permitted.
All fresh produce is not permitted.
As others have said, DECLARE all your stocks and the MAF will be happy, don't declare and you won't be happy.!!
Have a good one, New Zealand is a truely GREAT place.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 16:48   #22

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner

Powdered eggs??? Didn't know anyone still made that evil crap, and no human should be forced to eat it.

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 16:54   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Seals are protected? They're a nuisance in a lot of parts of Canada.

Seals are protected because the sealers in the 19 th century practically wiped them out taking their skins to Europe and America. Whales were hunted from shore bases like Whangamumu just south of Cape Brett, Bay of Islands until around the mid 1950s when the supply diminished. They are of course protected now.

Why are seals a nuisance in parts of Canada? Do they steal the fish that humans want? Seals probably think humans are a nuisance. Especially those seals that are clubbed to death in that annual ritual bloodbath that shames Canada. I can say that because I'm sitting in Ottawa with my Canadian family.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 16:59   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
IIRC moose are potential carriers of "brain wasting" diseases, the same as deer and cattle. While the scientists can argue over whether one prion will manage to transfer and infect another animal...you can understand why Customs would rather prohibit the whole beast, than try to draw lines in the sand about whether which parts might or might not be safe.

First time I crossed into Canada, we had potatoes and blueberries aboard. One or the other was allowed loose but not bagged, or vice versa. Damfino. But the customs man was quite friendly and reasonable, he just said "Eat them on the boat and don't worry about it." Quote possibly because there just weren't any potato farms around to catch a blight from us.
I'm not aware of any chronic wasting disease ever having a period moose, although whitetail, mule deer and elk certainly have suffered from it.

Old 23-08-2015, 17:01   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHO View Post
Seals are protected because the sealers in the 19 th century practically wiped them out taking their skins to Europe and America. Whales were hunted from shore bases like Whangamumu just south of Cape Brett, Bay of Islands until around the mid 1950s when the supply diminished. They are of course protected now.

Why are seals a nuisance in parts of Canada? Do they steal the fish that humans want? Seals probably think humans are a nuisance. Especially those seals that are clubbed to death in that annual ritual bloodbath that shames Canada. I can say that because I'm sitting in Ottawa with my Canadian family.
I hope you don't think that the white coats are still being taken?

Old 25-08-2015, 04:12   #26

Location: wherever the boat is -- Jacksonville FL for hurricane season
Boat: Pearson 365 ketch sailboat, 36.5'

Actually some powdered ("crystalized") eggs out there now are quite good; I use Ova Easy in not only in baking, but also in omelettes, quiches etc. They come out very good, take up a lot less space/weight, don't break and don't have to be chucked overboard because they've spoiled. No deviled, over easy, hard or soft boiled or recipes (like key lime pie) specifying yolks or whites, but for everything else, highly recommend them.

Alas, 'tis confirmed any remaining when I get to NZ will be confiscated.
Old 25-08-2015, 04:20   #27

Location: wherever the boat is -- Jacksonville FL for hurricane season
Boat: Pearson 365 ketch sailboat, 36.5'

Pleasantly surprised that an NZ quarantine officer responded promptly to my questions. I sent them over the weekend and their response arrived today (Monday).

Response:
Egg powder from USA is currently still on hold as per the Import Health Standard poueggic.spe (Shelf stable dried egg powders) due to recent avian flu outbreaks, so this one cant come in, suggest eating it before you arrive, and disposing of the remaining product in quarantine bins on arrival into NZ.
Seeds for eating: some require inspection eg Chia, Buckwheat, cucumber (the list is large). This doesn’t mean they cant come in, it just means they require an inspection, looking for contaminant seeds and insects. If they are powdered, there is no need to inspect them.

Things like corn seeds can come in as pre packaged popcorn, microwave ready, otherwise cant come in without permits (due to the possibility of being GM)

Dried herbs are fine, some require inspection, some do not, but most are welcome into NZ.

Muesli is fine, as most of the grains are either toasted or crushed, destroyed their viability to grow. If the muesli has had honey added, there are some restrictions on this due to the honey possibly carrying disease. But again if it has been toasted (including the honey) and is commercial, there should be no problems in bringing it in.

If you have access to the internet please take a look at:
Import health standards | MPI - Ministry for Primary Industries. A New Zealand Government Department.

enter the search word "stored" and it will come up with an import health standard for stored plant products for human consumption.

Section 9.4 is good for grains, seeds and spices etc. If it says inspection, that means the MPI officer that does the rummage will be taking a quick look for contaminants such as other seeds or insects. If it says no inspection or certification requirements then those ones are good, no problems.
If it says treatment required, these may require heat treatment for devitalization (so they don’t accidentally grow in NZ).

The list is fairly extensive, but if you are not sure, please feel free to email (aucklandmetro.office@mpi.govt.nz ) exact products back and I can help you.

Tags
food, New Zealand