Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2022, 17:26   #76

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: 14 days at sea 3 blokes one woman - food/kitchen must haves

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiC View Post
Alan 'Almighty' - Alrighty then [with a slight Ace Ventura intonation on the name perhaps?]
snippo

so I don't have much of an issue, really more of an eye roll.

Regards,

NC
Golly.

I was thinking you were seeking vittling advice - that advice would be largely based on port of departure and intended destination.

Frinstance its an entirely different matter 'storing ship' in FP to storing ship in the FI.

Further observation - two days from arrival to sailing? I reckon I am pretty good but I reckon on a week, our recent 5 day sprint did not end all that well and that is on my own boat where I know what I am dealing with - at least I thought I did.

So, is that 2 days - ie arrive monday sail tuesday or 2 days arrive Monday sail Thursday?

WA is a big bit of country - big diff between Broome and Freo in planning. ( NB - have done Sunda to Carnarvon - not the easiest of windward trips in a mono - dunno about a cat)

You are new hereabouts - do not underestimate the collective wisdom - from Alan and others.
Old 27-09-2022, 17:35   #77

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Hi Nikki, a few comments, but I think no one can beat Ann's post #7. That is very good !!

Easy-yo yogurt, works very well for me.
Shuttle Chef or other 'retained heat' cooking systems, works very well, and is easy on the gas.
Both the two above may require you to lug it on the flight to the Philippines, that may be not practical.

Defibrillator?...... I would not bother. I have a Zoll and I am a nurse, but would not take that (I never done that on a boat),... even if you were to manage to get the heart into a survivable rhythm, what then? With the nearest hospital days or weeks away?

3000 NM in 2 weeks? Impossible I would say. I would count on a little longer with provisioning the boat. I would provision at least for 4 weeks, as one has to account for breakages (=slower speed), adverse weather (=slower speed). Hmmm the trip down to coast in WA (900 NM) will be all upwind !!!

Have the skipper or you checked the water supply? tankage? watermaker?
Enjoy the trip!
Old 27-09-2022, 17:49   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

You are new hereabouts - do not underestimate the collective wisdom - from Alan and others.
Yes, yes. I'm completely listening to the collective wisdom from everyone else.
NikkiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 17:53   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
Hi Nikki, a few comments, but I think no one can beat Ann's post #7. That is very good !!

3000 NM in 2 weeks? Impossible I would say. I would count on a little longer with provisioning the boat. I would provision at least for 4 weeks, as one has to account for breakages (=slower speed), adverse weather (=slower speed). Hmmm the trip down to coast in WA (900 NM) will be all upwind !!!

Have the skipper or you checked the water supply? tankage? watermaker?
Enjoy the trip!
Agree - Ann's advice has been absolutely on point.

I'm not doing the sail down the coast. I jump overboard as soon as we hit land - tag team with the husband (give or take a week/year).

Will skip on the defibrillator then. I was going to make a poor joke about the horse latitudes, but best to make it upon return.

Cheers.
Old 27-09-2022, 19:54   #80

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Hmmm...

Nikki, I just re-read Alan's posts that have upset you so much, and to me they were chock full of useful info re the trip, vittling in the PI and how to stay abreast of t he weather... which can be damn ugly in the PI in any month of the year.

The socio-political comments did not add to your info pool, perhaps, but they (IMO) don't reduce th e value of the advice such to warrant such scorn.

I've been principle cook on our boat for passages for the past 39 years. My approach is considerably less focused than many of t hose suggested. Basically, I store the boat with as much of the staples that I normally use as will fit and t hen wing it, adjusting expectations to suit current conditions. Fortunately, Ann (whose advice is excellent) is an understanding crew and never complains about the tucker. One can but guess what three mates with whom you have never made passage will think about your efforts... but the moose-turd pie principle should be explained to them at the outset of the voyage!

Finally, I will add my agreement that your schedule is a bit optimistic and could lead to some dangerous decisions

I hope that it goes well...

Jim
Old 27-09-2022, 22:58   #81

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
* sengkuang (a distorted version of a southern Chinese name) is the usual name in Southeast Asia for the 'yam bean' called Jicama in the Americas. Superb for cruisers. Long keeping at cabin temperature. Can be served raw in salad or cooked in many ways. Only available in the land Down Under in their summer.
An elder cruiser, who lives on M dock, reckons that I'm completely wrong saying that 'sengkuang', the usual Southeast Asian name for Jicama, is a distorted southern Chinese name.

The elder reminded me that:

* the Spanish colony of the Phiippines was administered as a sub-colony of Mexico (the Manila-Acapulco galleon trade and all that);

* Spaniards introduced jicama, the plant usually referred to in English as 'yam bean' and botanically called Pachyrrhizus erosus or Pachyrhizus erosus to the Philippines. Spaniards introduced the yam bean with some version of the Nahautl name xicamatl. Xicamatl therefore gave rise to the contemporary Spanish/Mexican/American name jicama and in the Philippines to the name sengkuang.

* trade between Philippines and China and elsewhere in E Asia moved sengkuang to southern China and to maritime and continental Southeast Asia. In most of Southeast Asia, 'sengkuang' remains the name.

* Southern China has several names for the jicama. Some of those names likely were attempts to find a name sounding similar to 'sengkuang' - hence 沙葛 saa got (and variants) in most of the languages lumped together as Cantonese. But it's also called 凉薯 liang shu 'cool tuber/cool potato', a name that carries meaning and is not an imitation of the sound of sengkuang. And several other names.

* served shredded and raw or cooked (in as many ways as a potato can be cooked) sengkuang is a source of carbohydrate plus a tad of protein. It's the carbohydrate basis of lumpia and popia (in Philippine cuisines), gado gado (Indonesia), and one of the ingredients in rojak and yusheng (Singapore and Malaysia).

* a few other plants, some related and some not, are also called jicama.

In summary, Nahuatl xicamatl led to Spanish jicama and Pilipino sengkuang. My apologies for misleading you.
Old 28-09-2022, 14:09   #82

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

Just a thought, If I were to be taking on the feeding of a crew for several weeks, And, I am not familiar with the foodstuffs available in the local markets, I would research what the local cuisine consists of. Whatever the local folks eat should be readily available. Perhaps there are some online resources such as cookbooks or recipes that would provide insight. Maybe even reading the on line menus of some restaurants would be helpful.

Do you have input from the crew members as to likes and dislikes. In my case, a meal plan that relied heavily on curry would result in my losing a great deal of weight.

Also, be sure to have an adequate supply of Chlorine bleach for washing fresh veggies. Hopefully you don't need to ask why.
Old 28-09-2022, 14:34   #83

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@pesarsten, et al,

We used a mild potassium permangante solution for washing leafy vegs. The crystals were inexpensive. Worked fine. More than one way to make them safe from amebas and eosiniphilic meningitis.

Also, I'd like to comment about Alan Mighty's post relative to the Philippines. I thought it was extremely informative, and not a troll. It revealed they have come along with the rest of the world in services, and he said how to access them, too. He is a long time member of CF who also happens to be an enthusiastic researcher.

Ann
Old 02-10-2022, 09:45   #84
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18 ft avon

I wrote an article for NW yachting about provisioning, PM me will send it to you.
MC2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 10:05   #85

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
An elder cruiser, who lives on M dock, reckons that I'm completely wrong saying that 'sengkuang', the usual Southeast Asian name for Jicama, is a distorted southern Chinese name.

The elder reminded me that:

* the Spanish colony of the Phiippines was administered as a sub-colony of Mexico (the Manila-Acapulco galleon trade and all that);

* Spaniards introduced jicama, the plant usually referred to in English as 'yam bean' and botanically called Pachyrrhizus erosus or Pachyrhizus erosus to the Philippines. Spaniards introduced the yam bean with some version of the Nahautl name xicamatl. Xicamatl therefore gave rise to the contemporary Spanish/Mexican/American name jicama and in the Philippines to the name sengkuang.

* trade between Philippines and China and elsewhere in E Asia moved sengkuang to southern China and to maritime and continental Southeast Asia. In most of Southeast Asia, 'sengkuang' remains the name.

* Southern China has several names for the jicama. Some of those names likely were attempts to find a name sounding similar to 'sengkuang' - hence 沙葛 saa got (and variants) in most of the languages lumped together as Cantonese. But it's also called 凉薯 liang shu 'cool tuber/cool potato', a name that carries meaning and is not an imitation of the sound of sengkuang. And several other names.

* served shredded and raw or cooked (in as many ways as a potato can be cooked) sengkuang is a source of carbohydrate plus a tad of protein. It's the carbohydrate basis of lumpia and popia (in Philippine cuisines), gado gado (Indonesia), and one of the ingredients in rojak and yusheng (Singapore and Malaysia).

* a few other plants, some related and some not, are also called jicama.

In summary, Nahuatl xicamatl led to Spanish jicama and Pilipino sengkuang. My apologies for misleading you.

Another example on how much the American continent has contributed to changing gastronomy in the rest of the world.
Tomato’s- Italy, France food would be different without them
Potato’s- Ireland, Russia (vodka)
Peppers and Hot peppers - everybody
Corn
Avocados
All the berries
Cacao
Peanuts
And on and on
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 12:05   #86
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosproa View Post
Another example on how much the American continent has contributed to changing gastronomy in the rest of the world.
Tomato’s- Italy, France food would be different without them
Potato’s- Ireland, Russia (vodka)
Peppers and Hot peppers - everybody
Corn
Avocados
All the berries
Cacao
Peanuts
And on and on

Given almost all northern American food is of European origin I’d say the traffic was seriously both ways. !!!!

Interesting most of the raw ingredients Mentioned are from South American

Food over the years transferred all over the globe.
Old 29-10-2022, 17:55   #87

YAY!

Arrived back safe and sound with ZERO issues. Captain and crew were amazing. The trip did end up taking longer (just under 3 weeks) - the current drag near Kupang is a shocker.

The captain's sister ended up joining us and the two of us worked amazing as a team. We wrote up a roster for sailing watches which worked really well and cooked every dinner (bar two). By the end of the trip, I still had some watermelon, a cabbage, oranges, limes (which we had to throw overboard before customs).

For those looking for sailing watches, we were a crew of 4 with the captain (who is a good friend). The captain offered to be part of the watch, but I insisted he was a floater so he could get up as needed.

8-11 A
11-13 B
13-15 C
15-18 D
18-20 A
20-22 B
22-00 C
00-02 D
02-04 A
04-06 B
06-08 C

which would then rotate, so no one was continually doing the 02-04 watch. Also the 2x3 hour watches were not during the heat of the day.

Food in the Philippines is average. If you are Australian, you know the take on this. I had taken up 3x freeze dried mince packs from back country which turned out brilliant when I flavoured them myself.

I also bought an air fryer and everyone on board was sold on buying one when they got home.

I made homemade hot chips, quiche (homemade pastry), fresh bread, fruit crumble, grilled everything in it.

One thing I would recommend is extra Chlorsig. The captain got pink eye and it spread to one of the crew. I had some drops which I used on both and thankfully got them cleared up before it spread further. I was wiping down surfaces with bleach constantly.

Peanut butter was inhaled. We got through 2 large tubs.

Water maker was broken, but I had two flannels which were great for a simple wash down.

Also lollypops and sour lollies - I absolutely LOVED these on night watch.

One thing I wish I downloaded was an astronomy book. The stars were beautiful and I wish I could have named some of them by the end of the trip.

FADs were well lit up but a little nerve wracking when they popped up right next to you.

It only rained once on the whole journey!

Loved every minute.

Thanks again for all the support and advice from this forum.

Now to convince hubby to switch from a stink boat to a sailing one.
Old 29-10-2022, 19:19   #88
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Great report and thanks for the update!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2022, 21:36   #89

Quote:
Arrived back safe and sound with ZERO issues.
Excellent news!

Quote:
I had taken up 3x freeze dried mince packs from back country which turned out brilliant when I flavoured them myself.
How on earth were you able to get your hands on those? Everywhere I look, the mince is always sold out. Also, for future reference, whilst Back Country products are pretty good, for only a tiny bit more money, you can support a made-here-in-Oz freeze-dried food company called Strive Food. (Back Country is a NZ firm.) I can report that their meals (and their breakfasts and desserts) are very good, as I tried quite a few of them out on a recent hiking/camping trip.

They are also very generously portioned. I'm a big eater, and often have to buy the 2-serving packs to get a decent feed. But with Strive's meals, there were times I struggled to finish off a single serving pack, despite being quite hungry. One warning though.. any of their "spicy" items actually do pack some kick. Unlike most so-called "spicy" meals, they're definitely not wussy at all. I loved them, but some may find them a bit too hot.

Quote:
One thing I wish I downloaded was an astronomy book. The stars were beautiful and I wish I could have named some of them by the end of the trip.
In addition to a good book, I can highly recommend an "augmented reality" phone app called SkyView. It has a dim red-light mode which is great for night use. Makes it really easy to identify any object in the night sky.
Old 29-10-2022, 23:14   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
Excellent news!

How on earth were you able to get your hands on those? Everywhere I look, the mince is always sold out. Also, for future reference, whilst Back Country products are pretty good, for only a tiny bit more money, you can support a made-here-in-Oz freeze-dried food company called Strive Food. (Back Country is a NZ firm.) I can report that their meals (and their breakfasts and desserts) are very good, as I tried quite a few of them out on a recent hiking/camping trip.

They are also very generously portioned. I'm a big eater, and often have to buy the 2-serving packs to get a decent feed. But with Strive's meals, there were times I struggled to finish off a single serving pack, despite being quite hungry. One warning though.. any of their "spicy" items actually do pack some kick. Unlike most so-called "spicy" meals, they're definitely not wussy at all. I loved them, but some may find them a bit too hot.

In addition to a good book, I can highly recommend an "augmented reality" phone app called SkyView. It has a dim red-light mode which is great for night use. Makes it really easy to identify any object in the night sky.
I ordered the beef mince online. I also had a supply of other freeze dried meals which I rotated through - one night fresh meat, one night a freeze dried meal fluffed out with real food. The lamb (with mint) and beef curry were pretty good. I ordered the ones that feed 5. I probably could have made a couple of beef pies if I had a pie maker with the mince packs. I didn't know about strive foods but will look into them if I need to do something similar again. While freeze dried meals are not ideal, they DO work when the oceans are rough and you are bone tired. I used to joke about aged care/airline food when I had to serve them up.

Does the SkyView rely on wifi? We had zero data for 3 weeks.

Which reminds me, husband bought me a Garmin InReach, which tracked the boat and allowed unlimited texts (although only 160 characters at a time). It could do marine weather updates at ANY location. Absolute must.

https://www.garmin.com/en-AU/p/592606

You can bluetooth it to your phone so you don't have to type one letter at a time.

Tags
food