Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2022, 12:51   #31

Re: 14 days at sea 3 blokes one woman - food/kitchen must haves

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSH View Post
Just because you have a vajayjay does not mean you're the one at the stove all the time.
I just spat out my cup of tea laughing.

I'm definitely going to get a chance to learn how to sail - but I have zero issue doing meal prep.

I've got to also pack some power bars, because they look like they are tricky to get in the Philippines - the same as flat bread (which I've used on our stink boat when at sea for a while).
NikkiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2022, 12:59   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalmberg View Post
We just crossed the Atlantic, 29 days from the US to Azores, then 2 weeks from Azores to France. We ate very well and easily by canning (before we left) a variety of meals in Mason jars, using a large pressure canner.

Basically, I would make up a large batch of stew, or curry, or bolognaise sauce -- enough to fill about 14 pint-size jars. Then I would process them in the pressure canner. Once processed, they don't require any refrigeration, and last at least a year, probably 2 or 3 if properly stored.

Making a delicious meal was a matter of opening a jar (good for two people, normally), and adding a starch, like rice or pasta, plus a veg while the fresh veg lasted.

Highly recommended!
Yes - this is what I usually do when we leave from home on our stink boat. Unfortunately I do not have this luxury as we are flying into the Philippines and have two days before we sail. My intention is to let the captain ensure the boat is, well, ship-shape, while I ensure that I have got provisions to last the trip.

I expect it will be a hit and run in the supermarket grabbing what is recommended.

Eggs, Cabbage, Vinegar and toilet paper are high on that list. While there is a freezer, I want to ensure I am prepared for it to stop working. This is why I am taking 14 freeze packed meals and extra freeze dried vegetables. They are my backup meals. Sure, they aren't particularly tasty, but we won't starve. And total weight is less than 6kg so I am well under my 20kg packing...

I make good American style pancakes from scratch which will go well with lemon and sugar (less mess than maple syrup).

Hopefully the planned induction cooktop will work. I suggested to the captain to ensure he gets the right cookware! I do not want to be stuck at sea with a saucepan that won't engage!
Old 23-09-2022, 13:24   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Sailor View Post
Freeze dried sounds horrible to me. I find I typically need two portions of prepared foods. They are not sized for someone 6'4". I avoid starches being diabetic. You should check to see if anyone has any special food requirements.

What will you do if people eat only part of a freeze dried meal and then want another? Best to try people on these before you leave shore. I don't see happy outcomes with freeze dried food. That's for emergency use only. Bring twice as much as you think you need if that is your plan.

14 days with 4 people will get tedious. You will be standing watch, probably 2 hours/thrice a day--on a long trip that will be tiring. It sounds easy but it is not. Even a week will start to get fatiguing.

Everyone wants to leave the boat clean up to others.

Many boats do not have freezers. You are talking freeze dried foods so maybe you don't have a freezer???

You should know how much space you have. Freeze everything at home before loading. Deep freezing it well below freezing if available. Don't count on a small cold plate to freeze everything on board when you get to the boat. Freeze it super cold in advance--at home. Some grocery stores will do that for you. Obviously, store the last to be used items at the bottom and first to be used at the top.

Eat nothing the night before you leave and eat light until you get your sea legs. I always get sea sick until I lose some water weight. It takes me a day to adapt. Ocean sailing is not the same as inshore sailing.

Don't give in to fools who can't think ahead two weeks. I find it difficult to say no to people when they ask to eat my food, unless I am clear about this in advance.

If you are doing the buying, tell them to let you know exactly what they need and how much they will need.

Garbage will be a problem as time goes on. A empty metal canister with holes in it, some sort of mount to hold it to the back rail, and a propane torch will allow you to burn plastic to reduce waste--if you are sailing downwind. It would be wise to have a solution to burn garbage. It will start to stink after a while.
Thanks for the advice - sounds like you have been burnt by some inconsiderate crew! I have teenage kids who do squat, eat everything and stock nothing. I am well prepared for that side of the trip. I've checked in with the guys and there are no 'special diets'. I have a hazelnut allergy, but will still pack a jar of Nutella for the boys. My kids seem to love the stuff.

My husband who is, unfortunately away for work and rather jealous I am doing this trip, has a bit of OCD, so I am used to trying to clean up after the kids. The other blokes are all dads, so I can't imagine they are worse than my teenagers.

The freeze dried food is for emergencies. I have no idea what I will be able to source in the Philippines, but I can guarantee that my haute cuisine will be hard to find, hence the purchase of it here. I can jazz it up with coconut rice or a little kepac manis. All good.

I was pondering how to handle all the rubbish. I was going to rinse out any packaging in a bucket with sea water, so it is at least clear of organic waste. One idea that just popped into my head is getting some of those vacuum bags that are used for people who want to compress their clothes and stuff non mental items in that...

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/spantad...blue-30427567/

When I was a teacher, they called me the terminator, when I was nursing, they said I had the patience of a saint. Now, most people are just calling me nuts for wanting to do this.
Old 23-09-2022, 13:53   #34

Boat: Hunter 41

>We were able to obtain edible canned meat. It isn't very good. Home canned is better.

Hope this is not too controversial, but the one canned meat that we really enjoy is good 'ol' SPAM. Lasts forever with no refrigeration. It has its own taste, which does not 'modify' well, but I really like it. I call it "3D bacon." I generally fry it for any use. Really brings out the flavor. Don't like it much, plain. Maybe that's why its not more popular--most people don't fry it first to bring out the flavor.

Mixes well with many bland things, like macaroni & cheese, rice, etc. Makes a wonderful bacon, lettuce & tomato-type sandwich. Makes a great add to an omelet.

If you have any mango, and Unagi sauce on board, "spamango" sushi roll is popular in the Philippines--for good reason.

Its pricy, but a little goes a long way--both because of the flavor and the calorie density.

It will be a staple on my boat.
Dave_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2022, 14:03   #35

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiC View Post

....I was pondering how to handle all the rubbish. I was going to rinse out any packaging in a bucket with sea water, so it is at least clear of organic waste. One idea that just popped into my head is getting some of those vacuum bags that are used for people who want to compress their clothes and stuff non mental items in that...

Our boat has a trash bin. Organics can be disposed of from about 12 n. mi. offshore. Plastics, cleaned in sea water, dried, squashed. If it gets smelly, or too full, store the bag in a lazarette locker, or on deck, tied astern. If you have the patience for it, cut up stuff like that and store it in something like a 2 liter orange juice container. Even quart/liter fluid containers of any kind work well, and you just keep on compacting into them. They will hold a lot, and it is the compacting that is the clue. The vacuum bags used for trash, I think is an interesting concept. You'd have to pump them out each time you added something, but I have no idea what would happen in an anaerobic environment. If there are no organic residues, maybe totally fine.

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/spantad...blue-30427567/

When I was a teacher, they called me the terminator, when I was nursing, they said I had the patience of a saint. Now, most people are just calling me nuts for wanting to do this.
That's okay. Most landlubbers don't get it at all. They are too disconnected from weather, and too used to shopping when they run out of *stuff*. And too committed to land based life.

I don't remember if I mentioned this before. Some marinas have communal fridge/freezers. If the one in the Philippines does, spend some time your second day cooking two large one pot meals, enough for 4 nights. Freeze them up in 4 plastic containers. By then, any mal de mer will most likely be over. Take plenty of your own anti-seasickness meds. Catamaran motion is very different from your fishing boat, and your body might not like it. [Mine doesn't.]

And do plan for 3 wks, if you think it will take 2. It is just so much more prudent. And, don't be surprised if people eat half again as much at sea than on land. It just means you need more than you thought. You can have an eating orgy when you're 3 days out of Oz, because you can't bring in freshies, if you have any left. Large citrus, like grapefruit, keep okay without refrigeration, Pomelos or pomplemousse are really good, keep well. They are heavy because of the thick skin and the juice, but two will do for four people for brekkie. In New Caledonia, we'd eat them for breakfast with a croissant. Yum!

Should water supplies run low, you can wash dishes with detergent in salt water, and air dry them, or dry them with dish towels. Said towels will get stinky, but they launder just fine. I always used salt water for pre-wash if the dishes were greasy. It is almost like a strategy game to see what you can do to conserve fresh water, and still have adequate cleanliness.

And, report back on the voyage, please, after you have completed it. Thanks in advance, Nikki.

Ann
Old 23-09-2022, 14:17   #36

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Always enjoyed "fish tish" when the real food runs out
Simple to make one pot and good on vita wheats for lunch

Essentially tinned tuna, tinned tomatoes, lentils and a decent curry paste - big fan of Ferns curry paste in their various incantations and always have several jars onboard.

Curried tuna and rice is another.
Tinned tuna, tinned cream corn, curry paste, a bit of coconut milk powder if so inclined, squeeze of lemon juice from bottle served on bed of brown or Jasmin rice.
Same as above, great on vita wheats for lunch.

Both even better with fresh tuna or mackeral.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2022, 14:24   #37

We cruise full time and don't go back to civilization until the fresh veg runs out so usually every 2 to 3 weeks.

We have found rubbish not to be a problem,
rinse out wet stuff from meat bags and cans
Put rubbish in heavily scented garbage bags like
https://shop.coles.com.au/a/capalaba...tralia%7CBroad
Throw bag in tender for disposal later.

Has worked well for the past 6 years
Old 23-09-2022, 14:33   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post

I don't remember if I mentioned this before. Some marinas have communal fridge/freezers. If the one in the Philippines does, spend some time your second day cooking two large one pot meals, enough for 4 nights. Freeze them up in 4 plastic containers. By then, any mal de mer will most likely be over. Take plenty of your own anti-seasickness meds. Catamaran motion is very different from your fishing boat, and your body might not like it. [Mine doesn't.]

And do plan for 3 wks, if you think it will take 2. It is just so much more prudent. And, don't be surprised if people eat half again as much at sea than on land. It just means you need more than you thought. You can have an eating orgy when you're 3 days out of Oz, because you can't bring in freshies, if you have any left. Large citrus, like grapefruit, keep okay without refrigeration, Pomelos or pomplemousse are really good, keep well. They are heavy because of the thick skin and the juice, but two will do for four people for brekkie. In New Caledonia, we'd eat them for breakfast with a croissant. Yum!

Should water supplies run low, you can wash dishes with detergent in salt water, and air dry them, or dry them with dish towels. Said towels will get stinky, but they launder just fine. I always used salt water for pre-wash if the dishes were greasy. It is almost like a strategy game to see what you can do to conserve fresh water, and still have adequate cleanliness.

And, report back on the voyage, please, after you have completed it. Thanks in advance, Nikki.

Ann
Your advice has been invaluable. I appreciate the support. If I have an opportunity to cook up some meals and freeze before I go, I will absolutely do it! I bought that book "The Care and Feeding of Sailing Crew" - I'm about 25% through it and fully heed the advice of taking 50% more than what you think you need. The author does seem to favour tomatoes a little more than me though.... !

I haven't eaten Pomelos for years. I love them.

I have a small 'scrubber' wash bag that I've used in the past when we've been on our stink boat for weeks and will wash tea towels/knickers if we have some tropical rains.

https://thescrubba.com.au/products/scrubba-wash-bag

I'm going to get a couple of the vacuum bags to try out. I wouldn't seal them until they are full. It will be interesting to see if they make any difference.

I do hope to report back that it was all fun and games when we get back!

I have a touch of insomnia with the excitement/nerves of it at the moment.

Really - thanks for the support.
Old 23-09-2022, 14:36   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
We cruise full time and don't go back to civilization until the fresh veg runs out so usually every 2 to 3 weeks.

Put rubbish in heavily scented garbage bags

Throw bag in tender for disposal later.
Might have to sneak some of those garbage bags in my packing too!

I'm not keen on the idea of sticking the rubbish in the tender. It feels like blocking the fire escape. Will chat to the captain on that one.
Old 23-09-2022, 14:39   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_R View Post
>

Hope this is not too controversial, but the one canned meat that we really enjoy is good 'ol' SPAM.

If you have any mango, and Unagi sauce on board, "spamango" sushi roll is popular in the Philippines--for good reason.

It will be a staple on my boat.
I'll get the spam!

Also just remembered I can make sushi so that will make the rice a little more interesting.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 23-09-2022, 15:49   #41

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post

Ann

Listen to Ann. I was scanning to see if anyone would bring this up. If it is a 2900 mile voyage and you are expecting to do this in 14 days that is over 200 miles per day - a very difficult goal to achieve.

I have a fast 44 footer and have done a lot of trade wind sailing. The best I ever did was Galapagos to Marquesas, 3600 miles in 18 days, 12 hours. That was really driving the boat very hard with strong winds. I always planned for 150 miles per day and usually exceeded that.

You don't want a crew going hungry and thirsty for the last few days. You have to expect some slow days due to weather. I don't know what kind of winds you can expect on that voyage. Provision for at least 3 weeks as Ann suggests and even a few days more.
stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2022, 16:16   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_R View Post

Hope this is not too controversial, but the one canned meat that we really enjoy is good 'ol' SPAM. .
For the lovers of snouts, aholes and other edible oddities.
But hey, at least they are using all of the beast

Prefer to pull a steak out of the freezer or turn to canabilism myself .
Old 23-09-2022, 16:26   #43
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
14 days at sea 3 blokes one woman - food/kitchen must haves

agree , over provision if possible and as I said regular high sustenance food. Food becomes a huge topic of interest and potential annoyance on long trips.

As skipper I never allow personal food to take up communal boat space , unless the crew has a particular medical diet. Everyone Eats what the designated roster cook cooks. There are no “
Personal “ stores of cola outside what you keep in your personal kit bag.

For rough weather , food that can be eaten in bowls is best. Things like stews , pasta dishes etc are really suitable.

On long transoceanic voyages there’s plenty off time to cook from scratch ( or near scratch ) because I did deliveries I never had much time to prepare lots of stuff beforehand. So we relied on what could be bought from supermarkets.

Note European eggs certainly should not be washed , in the EU you cannot wash eggs and sell them to the public.

https://www.fsai.ie/faq/egg_washing.html

EU eggs will last three week in hot weather without refrigeration, I’m eating them so as we speak

We found on several transoceanic voyages we could cook in all of the worst weather. Crew get adept and the potential of a freshly cooked meal means attempts are made.

One point , if you like porridge , never let it fly around the cabin , we couldn’t lift the sole inspection hatches after some got stuck with porridge debris
Old 24-09-2022, 09:03   #44
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

There is a lot of really good info here so I will only add in my technique for shopping. I was going to add in that unless it is your choice, you should not assume you will be the head cook simply because you are female - but you already got that so I'll not go there.

What I do is write out a menu for each meal for a period of time. I usually do a week and then duplicate it for week two - but you can make a two week menu if you like. Then I make a menu for week three that doesn't use the fresh ingredients I'll use in the first two weeks. I take the last menus and multiply them by the extra number of weeks I'm planning for.

For each meal/menu I then list each ingredient needed to make it in exact quantities for one person (I use generous portions). I do this in a spreadsheet so that I can consolidate the ingredients across all meals and then multiply by the number of people. In this way I can make an ingredients list with quantities to go buy the amount of food I'll need for the trip. I include snacks, meals the whole eating realm.

In this way if I can't find a particular ingredient, I can see where it falls in my menus and see what I can use to substitute for that missing ingredient. I find this particularly useful when having to supply on a short time frame. The menus and ingredient lists I can make up ahead of time, take the menus and ingredient lists with me (I print them out as I find it easier to work with them printed while shopping) to the store when shopping as I can simply pencil in and cross out things that are happening on the fly, so to speak.

This becomes an even more powerful tool if you take notes during the trip and at the end do a serous evaluation of what was planned, what worked, what didn't, what was short, what was too much, things you would have changed - you get the picture. Then the next time, one gets better at doing it - lot's better actually... So if you plan to do this again in the future, I do suggest this last step - it is often overlooked.

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2022, 09:33   #45
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

The trouble with pre planned menus is you need a very good understanding of the local availability plus what vegetables and fruits are in season etc. otherwise you wander around markets and shops in foreign ports not finding half your ingredients.

Tags
food