Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2019, 15:09   #1

Boat: Bayliner 3587
zodiac RIB Cadet - Anyone have experience with these ?

We are looking for a new tender for our boat and are thinking about getting a Aluminum Zodiac RIB - Cadet -https://www.zodiac-nautic.com/en/shop/produits/tenders-liferafts/tenders/cadet-alu/

does anyone have any experience using this boat at all ? It is competitively priced, light and a well known name brand but can't find any reviews on this one.

Any comments are appreciated

Thanks
RFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 16:08   #2

Boat: Somebody else's boat......
Re: zodiac RIB Cadet - Anyone have experience with these ?

Can't speak for that model, but I've a lot of experience with the classic full sized model on brown and blue water alike, and they were pretty much bullet proof regardless of how bad we abused them. I think you can do a lot worse than zodiac, and the name alone will help hold the re-sale value.

Hopefully somebody that has one can chime in as well.
Dan Mosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 14:42   #3

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

I bought one earlier this year and have had limited use of it this season. Liked the size and got a boatshow price - and as you say lightweight. 300 planes on a 6hp with just me (235 lbs) and prawn traps aboard - that was pleasant surprise. We're in BC so PVC was fine for me. We'll have to wait to see how well it holds up though. So far so good.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 15:00   #4

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFunk View Post
We are looking for a new tender for our boat and are thinking about getting a Aluminum Zodiac RIB - Cadet -https://www.zodiac-nautic.com/en/shop/produits/tenders-liferafts/tenders/cadet-alu/

does anyone have any experience using this boat at all ? It is competitively priced, light and a well known name brand but can't find any reviews on this one.

Any comments are appreciated

Thanks
We have a Zodiac Cadet Fastroller 3.6. It is not a rib. We've had it for 10 years of moderate usage. The fabric is PVC and has shown a lot of stains and discoloration which we cannot clean. Several glue-on parts have come off (handles, towing eye, labels, etc) and have had to be re-glued. At least one portion of the heat-sealed air tube seam has leaked and needed to be glued. Worst of all has been the constant water leakage into the boat around the transom. I am so tired of standing in 4" of water, even after several attempts at repairs. (right now I am about to go outside and work on it again.)

None of that addresses the poor overall design of this boat which lacks longitudinal rigidity, but of course that would not be an issue with a RIB.

I had a previous Zodiac which should have taught me a lesson and an Avon which was somewhat better in terms of design and quality.

So I am not a fan of Zodiac dingys.
Old 27-09-2019, 15:13   #5

I had a fibreglass Cadet RIB from new, in PVC. It came from the factory with a leak where one of the rowlocks attaches, repaired by a local dealer.

On the plus side, it planed really nicely with an 8hp 2 stroke Yamaha with 300lbs on board. Great handling and directional stability.

IMHO, PVC is not worth the saving. Pay the extra for Hypalon.
Old 01-10-2019, 23:11   #6

I did some research this early summer, because I wanted a "seaworthy" and sturdy small rib in order to overpower it massively as a rescue "tug" boat to tow behind my old (and freshly renovated) swedish 25ft boat around corse in the med.

I did my search very very intensively and I did NOT buy aluminium and i did NOT buy the cadet range.

I bought a 3,40m mercury ocean runner. in europe it is "allowed" to carry 25hp.
I put the old (light) 2 stroke tohatsu 40HP on it. it was "abused" every day. commuting, waterski, towing, speeding, wave jumping...

nice stringers (cadet does not have them)..very very stable (kids stood upright, when I was driving) ..no hair cracks at transom...

summary: nice boat and quite cheap in comparison. can be handled by 2 persons - or 1 person with tramson wheels.

regards
ralph
Ibetitsthisway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, rib, zodiac