Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2016, 23:05   #31

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m
Re: Youthful enthusiasm or foolishness?

I wrote the quote from my site http://crew.org.nz/forum/index.php/t...und-gisbourne/ above.
Let me make this 100% clear. The NZ Coastguard did NOT force the skipper/boat back to port, that was Maritime NZ, using the police, TRANSPORTED out to the vessel by the coastguard. As I said above, this was really down to making a check in schedule, and not meeting it, TWICE. The second time after being given clear instructions and a FREE VHF by the authorities.
The skipper is now back on his boat, with a bit of a lecture no doubt, has now passed the inspection on MNZ, and is awaiting a weather window to leave port again...
IMO the authorities did what they should have
Old 05-10-2016, 05:43   #32

Boat: 1979 Endeavor 32

Hi Matt,

Can't speak for others, but that is what I understood as this story unfolded. I also agree with you. So from this quarter, you are being 100% clear and if I may add, correct on all points.

Like I said, the young man should have politely thanked them, assured them that he was fine and amended or abrogated his check-in schedule if he did not intend to keep it.

Thanks for keeping us posted. I for one, appreciate it.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:12   #33

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Check his vessel if it's safe let him go. Just tell him we won't be coming out for you a 3rd time. Safe sailing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 20:06   #34

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
SailingNewYorkCity7 days ago I don't see why the sailor is being blamed however the story is very incomplete. First, he was fine and didn't request assistance, so I am not sure why he is being blamed. Second, it sounds like someone panicked and started an unnecessary search.
Questions we must know before we blame him. First, what did he tell people? If he was just going for a nautical version of a walk about, then the fault doesn't lie with him. If on the other hand, he specified that he would arrived at a particular destination by a certain day and didn't, and of course didn't update those he gave his sail plan to, then he is likely guilty.
Second, what happened to his communications? It is not unusual for electronics to fail. I can't blame him for this, unless the failure was negligent.
Third, who panicked and called for a search? We don't know who called nor do we know why they called. From the sound of the article that we are directed to for slightly more information, he was clearly going for a walk about in a marine environment.
I think the original article jumped to incorrect conclusions, and it certainly sounds like the authorities are trying to blame him when they should have asked the above questions. Hopefully we'll get some more answers but I'm not holding my breath.
Yep, lack of info, hard to make a judgement call on this.
First off, it's a one sided story. No comment from the lad. They got his pic tho !
Chastise do a fly by, get a wave and assume he is ok ?
Was there radio contact?
Did he break laws ?
Just the facts ma'am, just the facts ! Hehe.
Very sketchy piece of reporting or journalism if you can call it that, pretty much heresay. Seems like everyone gets exercise jumping to conclusions.lol
Then you have anybody with a badge and marching orders wants to give orders and carry guns. Global police state hatchlings ...
And yet, likely much adieu about nothing !
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote