Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 08:08   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 45DS
Windlass Capacity ?

I am in the process of buying a 45 Jeanneau DS.
Its a 2009 and among its equipment boasts an electric anchor windlass.
I believe its a 1000w.
The yacht comes with a 20kg Delta anchor. I would very much like to upgrade this to a 25kg and keep the 20kg as a backup. Is the windlass likely to be up to this extra weight?
It has 60m of chain which I consider to be just about enough... I would be happyier with 100m but not sure its worth replacing that.

Any thoughts?

Mark.
Thames 4 Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:54   #2

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
I have a Muir cougar pretty sure it's 1000w, I use a FX-37 & 300' of 5/16" chain. The deepest water I've anchored in is 30' & the windlass had no problem. The set up you have should work fine even with the heavier anchor. Good luck
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:00   #3

Re: Windlass Capacity?

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2013, 12:15   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

An extra 5kg is a very small change and should not produce any difference.

The windless needs to able to lift the total weight of all the chain and anchor. So it can still recover the ground tackle if you drag ino deep water.
60m of, probably, 10 mm chain weighs about 130 Kg. the total weight of your ground tackle with the 20Kg anchor is 150Kg with the new anchor it will be 155Kg.

The windlass motor size is only part of the equation. The gearing etc plays a role in ow powerful the winch is.
What model is it?

Look up the rated pull. Most manufacturers suggest taking the total ground tackle weight multiplying this by 3-4X and this should be less than the maximium pulling power.

My boat has a 55 kg anchor with 10mm (g7 chain) my anchor winch is rated at 3500Lb ( with a 1500w motor). The anchor winch has been replaced. The original winch was rated at 2500lb with a 1200w motor and manged fine.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 13:08   #5

Thanks, I will check the make and find the rated pull. As you say, Vs the overall load 5kg should not be a big problem. I will check and report...
55kg.... Now thats an anchor :-)
I dont get why so many people use the minimum rated size of ground tackle??? If I find the bow roller can accomodate it and the winch will pull it I would not hesitate to go 30kg... Seems very little to pay for peace of mind and extra security!
Old 10-02-2013, 13:33   #6

OK.... Bit confusing but its a QUick Antares 1000w windlass.
Max working load is 370kg BUT working load is 120kg... Rather a gap there but I will have to assume 120kg.
Assuming 2.1kg per meter for 10mm chain and assuming that the anchor will only be lifted once the chain is more or less verticle then even in 12m water I will only have 25kg chain to lift plus the anchor... Whopee! I can fit a 90kg anchor! Just kidding but with a bit of guidance I think you have helped me answer my own question :-)
Old 10-02-2013, 22:13   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thames 4 Blood View Post
If I find the bow roller can accomodate it and the winch will pull it I would not hesitate to go 30kg... Seems very little to pay for peace of mind and extra security!
Now you are getting the idea
There have been a lot of threads about anchor choices, but at least give some consideration to switching to one of the new generation anchors.

I hope you have entered the Mantus competition.
Old 10-02-2013, 23:32   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thames 4 Blood View Post
OK.... Bit confusing but its a QUick Antares 1000w windlass.
Max working load is 370kg BUT working load is 120kg... Rather a gap there but I will have to assume 120kg.
Assuming 2.1kg per meter for 10mm chain and assuming that the anchor will only be lifted once the chain is more or less verticle then even in 12m water I will only have 25kg chain to lift plus the anchor... Whopee! I can fit a 90kg anchor! Just kidding but with a bit of guidance I think you have helped me answer my own question :-)

You do need to consider the situation where all your chain is out and you drag into deep water. In this situation the winch will be required to lift all the chain and and anchor.
This is why most winch manufacturers recommend using the total weight of the ground tackle. You also need to consider the losses associated with turning the chain 90 degrees over the bow roller and friction etc.
This link suggest the maximium pull is 1000Kg which is quite a beefy winch, but worryingly they recommend it for a boat size 34-42 feet.!
Quick Antares windlass W/drum Italian windlasses

Most winches rated for a working load of 120kg have a maximium pull of about 1000 lb

Edit
I found this link

Products | WINDLASSES AND CAPSTANS | WINDLASSES - VERTICAL AXE | Antares
Which seems to confirm the details.

So I am a bit puzzled exactly how big your winch is. Perhaps someone with the same winch can confirm how it performs in real life.

Most of the weight is in the chain therefore the chain length is therefore important. The length of chain needed is more dependent on the depth of water you will be anchoring in.
It may be worth starting a new thread along the lines of "how much chain do I need for the xxxxx"

If you planning on cruising many different areas something like 100m is good to have.
Old 11-02-2013, 00:07   #9

Thank you. This was O/E fitment by Jeanneau so maybe I have got it wrong and its 1500 watt but I was told 1000. Wouldnt suprise me...

Tags
windlass