Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2021, 08:47   #1

Boat: C&C 30
Winchers and fouling lines?

Hello CruisersForum!

I am working to set up my C&C 30 to sail singlehanded and am considering purchasing winchers to go over my Barient 22 non self tailing winches. My concern is that with so many wraps around the winch, the risk of fouling the lines goes up. Can any current users comment on whether they've experienced line fouling with winchers? Thanks.
Emoyeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 14:25   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Winchers and fouling lines?

We had them on halyard winches we wanted to be self tailing. No problems in that usage.

We actually bought self-tailing cockpit winches, costly, but made life a lot easier, and if feasible for you, a better solution, imho.

Ann
Old 14-03-2021, 14:42   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

I used them for many years on the mains with a couple of previous boats (26-footer and a 34-footer). I don't recall any extra issues with lines getting jammed. But you do have to be aware of the wraps to make the things work properly.

They worked pretty well, especially considering the price vs self-tailers. But of course, they're not as good as the actual thing. Adding self-tailing winches was one of the best upgrades we've made to our current boat. This would be especially so for a solo sailor.
Old 14-03-2021, 15:24   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Adding to what Ann said above: We found them quite satisfactory for halyard winches and other uses where one only needed to winch short lengths of line... like the last couple of feet on the main halyard. But for cases where one needed to winch longer hauls, like with jib sheets coming from a broad reach to close hauled in a breeze they were troublesome. The lack of a proper stripper for the line coming out of the groove in the wincher caused some jams and inadvertent releases, and the many wraps sometimes got overrides.

But IMO worth their minimal cost for a budget cruiser.

Jim
Old 14-03-2021, 16:53   #5

Boat: C&C 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Adding to what Ann said above: We found them quite satisfactory for halyard winches and other uses where one only needed to winch short lengths of line... like the last couple of feet on the main halyard. But for cases where one needed to winch longer hauls, like with jib sheets coming from a broad reach to close hauled in a breeze they were troublesome. The lack of a proper stripper for the line coming out of the groove in the wincher caused some jams and inadvertent releases, and the many wraps sometimes got overrides.

But IMO worth their minimal cost for a budget cruiser.

Jim
So for the jib sheets would you say they are more trouble than they’re worth?
Emoyeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 17:51   #6

Boat: Flamingo 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoyeni View Post
We sailed around the world with them, for the price they are worth it to us
svRaison d Etre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 17:54   #7

Boat: Cape Dory MKII 1987 Hull #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoyeni View Post
==================================================

disclosure,am not Jim
do not know what his answer will be.
wanted to tell you have used them most of my sailing/cruising life and been very happy considering them as the poor sailor self tailing winches as the real thing that was always out of my budget,on your specific question regarding jib sheets did not bother me as there is an initial fast recovery like when tacking where normally will use both hands to bring them home as fast as possible and even now with the self tailing winches do not use that feature until have recovered most of the free line and then I place them on the jaw and like Ann mention is only the last few feet? that are under tension and the wincher works well for me.no override as a major concern.the override in my case is more likely to occur when pulling fast on the initial phase of the tacking.
I have now replaced some original winches with self tailing 2 speeds and the difference is day and night however is also the amount of money!!!
Bottom line,winchers do the job (for me).
Incidentally the main reason to replace was not the self-tailing as much as bigger size and 2 speeds.
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 18:11   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I did not mean to imply that Winchers were not at all helpful on sheet winches or other similar applications. Rather that they are good value, but not a substitute for "real" self tailers... and that they work better IMO in some applications than in others.

It has been nearly twenty years since we sold our last boat which had them on the halyard and reefing winches and my memories may be faulty. Been over 40 years since I sold the boat that had them on the primaries, so go figger!

Jim
Old 14-03-2021, 21:30   #9

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
We had them on halyard winches we wanted to be self tailing. No problems in that usage.

We actually bought self-tailing cockpit winches, costly, but made life a lot easier, and if feasible for you, a better solution, imho.

Ann

Plus that replaced mine with self tailing winches. Move the old ones to secondaries.

They work but only kind of. Still need to pay very close attention so the line doesn’t slip
Old 15-03-2021, 06:59   #10

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

Foulling happens mostly when you bring in the loose in the sheet.
No tenssion on the sheet makes it possible foŕ it to jump over the other wrap.
Once the sheet is tensioned you shold not have any more problems the with a self tailing.
The last wrap goes up.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 08:36   #11
coz
Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

They work to reduce slippage. I just installed some large ones. Use the video where the guy uses sail ties to install them. Sheet in like a good monkey and then put your wraps on. 3-4 to touch the bottom of the "wincher" and this creates compression/friction where you can winch with one hand and tail with the other. I use thick headsail lines (helps prevent overrides) so I cannot use the cleat feature on the wincher itself.
COZ
coz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 09:36   #12

Put them on my jib winches this year, work great, I have a 30 ft boat, single hand with a 130 jib. The hardest job is getting the wincher on the winch.
dockgoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 09:45   #13

Boat: Nordic 44

I've had them on a prior boat a long time ago. More of a cleat on top of the winch than a self tailer. Once you have real self tailing winches you will never want to go back.

Try finding a pair of used STs for your primaries. Bacon's in Annapolis specializes in used winches.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 11:10   #14

I had them on jib sheets on a fractional rigged 38ft catamaran, they were on there when I bought the boat.
They sort of half work as self-tailing when cranking in the sheets, but the biggest advantage I found was you could cleat off on the top ring, making small adjustments easier.
I eventually replaced with self-tailers that are all round better.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winch