Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2023, 10:12   #61

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Who remembers all around white lights?

No, it needs to be in the COLREGS, since these vessel don't show an all-round white light, just the red. Any local aviation-related rules do not supersede maritime COLREGS. And I've seen these red lights for megayachts in many countries, not just here in Antigua.
Old 11-01-2023, 10:13   #62

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
No, it needs to be in the COLREGS, since these vessel don't show an all-round white light, just the red.
I don't think they're correct in doing that. The red should be in addition to the COLREGS required lighting, not instead of it.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 11:28   #63

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Moored vessels should also display their anchor light.
But not required in a Special Anchorage Area. That's why they put the moorings there. Still a good idea though.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 11:31   #64

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

So I agree with Mike and Jim, and don't see a problem with the masthead light. Ours has a solar switch, so turns itself on and off -- only presenting a problem on those rare nights in marinas, where on the way back from an evening walk we see some idiot with his anchor light on.....oops.

I also agree with those that provide deck level lights. We have little LED cockpit lights under our dodger, choice of red or white. We light them if there is any concern about traffic. In Newfoundland this summer, that was "rarely" LOL. We also burn our foredeck light if REALLY concerned -- it's a 10 or 20W incandescent, so it's only when needed.

But, I'm pondering moving the primary light from the masthead (100% legal) to the arch. This would satisfy the "not up high" argument, but would be technically illegal, since it is as far as you can get from "the forward part of the vessel" as required. To my mind, it would be a stickler of a cop/judge/etc to complain that it was 30 feet too far aft to be legal, and it would be a pretty effective location.

Any thoughts about the arch for the "legal" anchor light?
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 11:38   #65

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
So I agree with Mike and Jim, and don't see a problem with the masthead light. Ours has a solar switch, so turns itself on and off -- only presenting a problem on those rare nights in marinas, where on the way back from an evening walk we see some idiot with his anchor light on.....oops.

I also agree with those that provide deck level lights. We have little LED cockpit lights under our dodger, choice of red or white. We light them if there is any concern about traffic. In Newfoundland this summer, that was "rarely" LOL. We also burn our foredeck light if REALLY concerned -- it's a 10 or 20W incandescent, so it's only when needed.

But, I'm pondering moving the primary light from the masthead (100% legal) to the arch. This would satisfy the "not up high" argument, but would be technically illegal, since it is as far as you can get from "the forward part of the vessel" as required. To my mind, it would be a stickler of a cop/judge/etc to complain that it was 30 feet too far aft to be legal, and it would be a pretty effective location.

If you keep the existing one and add a second on the arch you'd be legal, as that would meet the 2-light pattern (with adequate vertical separation) for larger vessels. You could also move the anchor light down lower on the mast (and if it's far enough above the arch, still optionally add a second anchor light there). To move it down on the mast, I'd just mount a 225* steaming light to either side of the mast at the same height. That'll give you 360* of white light at whatever height you want. And you'd have the option to use 3nm or 5nm visibility steaming lights to get something significantly brighter than the required 2nm anchor light.

The anchor light on my boat is integrated with my steaming light (has an additional LED section that can be lit to turn it into an anchor light), as it's a powerboat with the light on a pole (so no reason to have 2 separate lights). It's 3nm visibility as a result and compared to most legal-minimum anchor lights I see, it's damn bright.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 11:45   #66

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
I'm rarely a slave to the letter of the law vs the intent. So if your shift in location provides better visibility, then I say go for it.

As for enforcement of the letter of the law, I've certainly never heard of anyone being charged with a lighting offence. Various posts on this thread confirm there is precious little enforcement, even in cases where it might make sense.
Old 11-01-2023, 12:33   #67

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:

If you goals involve ease of maintenance, better visibility, or reduced weight aloft, you could just put it lower down on the mast somewhere. Lopolight used to make a 180° white light designed to be mounted in pairs on either side of the mast for this. I'm not sure if they're still available. They were silly money expensive for what they are, like $600 a pair or something. There are cheaper and less elegant solutions.

Old 11-01-2023, 16:10   #68

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I really really really wish I could upload a video.

Brand new boat in the Anchorage. The entire cabin lights up blue 2 to 3 times per second, and in between each flash of the blue cabin, there is a yellow light on the bow and then a yellow light on the steering that flashes. In between each of the blue ones.

No white all around light at all.

This thing is bonkers.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 16:34   #69

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post

Brand new boat in the Anchorage. The entire cabin lights up blue 2 to 3 times per second, and in between each flash of the blue cabin, there is a yellow light on the bow and then a yellow light on the steering that flashes. In between each of the blue ones.

This thing is bonkers.

Well... at least you can easily see them .
Old 11-01-2023, 16:50   #70
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:

You really really really can!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 16:53   #71

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
You really really really can!
(To the forum)

Sorry about the typos. So it’s the entire deck that lights up blue and then the flashers are on the bow and stern.

Incredibly fast. Really bright also.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 17:18   #72
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
(To the forum)
Take video with smart phone, compress it by say - uploading to a free YouTube account and post link on CF.

There may be other ways to easily compress it but I ain't an expert so I only know the one simple way.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 17:00   #73

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:

This thing is bonkers.

Was it a Tesla doing a light show? We just saw one in a parking lot and thought it was a dance party - synchronised lights and music.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 17:05   #74

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post

Some simple geometry shows that an observer a few feet above the water has to be about 2 feet away from the mast for every foot of mast height to be within the 25° vertical sector. For discussion this is around 100' for most cruising sailboats. I find that's about right for my boat, which has a newer, LED anchor light at the top of the mast. Within 50' it's hardly visible at all.

I can see our anchor light from one of our sterns, so that’s only about 10m horizontal separation for a light 18m above me. It’s an Optolamp Amazonia ECO Classic light that combines tri light and anchor light and has a daylight sensor. Set and forget.

Agree that deck level lights of any sort and combination make practical sense, especially for finding your own boat in a crowded anchorage.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 21:35   #75

Boat: Island Packet 40

Rule 30: Anchored Vessel and Vessels Aground

(b) A vessel of less than 50 metres in length may exhibit an all round white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this rule.

So one could argue that having one on top of the mast where it is often difficult to see them when up close is not "where it can best be seen".

Tags