Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2023, 06:16   #31

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Who remembers all around white lights?

Nothing says that a "masthead" anchor light actually has to be at the top of the mast. The Colregs indicate that it should be displayed "where it can best be seen". So it would be perfectly acceptable to use 2 white lights part-way up the mast to get 360* visibility at a lower height.

Of course, additional deck lighting is also encouraged in the Colregs and is a good idea to make the boat more visible regardless of anchor light height.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 06:55   #32

Boat: Hunter 410

In my experience US East Coast the past 3 years, something like 80-90% of anchored boats use an all-around white light at the highest point on the vessel. It is uncommon enough to see an unlit boat that I remark on it when I do see it, but not so rare that I don't see one once a week or so while cruising. The NE definitely seems to do better than the SE.

I use the easy masthead white LED. My only problem with it is that I very often forget to turn it off when I leave the anchorage. I keep saying I'll put it on the pre-start checklist, but for some reason I haven't done so yet... I often go below to turn on my nav lights as dusk approaches and discover I've been sailing all day while displaying an indicator that I'm anchored! Luckily, it's not bright enough to be seen in strong daylight so it's unlikely that I'm causing anyone any confusion.

I don't usually light my decks at night. I have LED deck lights but they're so bright they would prevent me sleeping. Maybe I'll get something a little less intense to use - it does sound like a really good idea.
Old 10-01-2023, 07:01   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I have found that hanging a white 12v powered LED anchor light directly under the boom is more noticeable than a masthead light location, from a boater's perspective and is my prefered way to do it now. Besides being noticeable it also serves to throw light into the cockpit, making the boat a bit more noticeable.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 07:05   #34

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I have found that hanging a white 12v powered LED anchor light directly under the boom is more noticeable than a masthead light location, from a boater's perspective and is my prefered way to do it now. Besides being noticeable it also serves to throw light into the cockpit, making the boat a bit more noticeable.

Along those lines, you could always follow the rule for a vessel over 50 meters (the adjustment for smaller vessels is optional, not required). One all around white light somewhere further forward (such as down lower on the mast) and another down lower and at the stern, such as on the stern rail.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 08:03   #35

Boat: Grand Banks classic 36

Back in my sailing days I used a battery powered GUEST anchor light that I raised with the genoa halyard attached to the forestay. Had a retrieval line attached to the bottom of the light. Raised it about 1/3 of the way up the forestay. Busy anchorages also used spreader lights. Now adays on my Grand Banks its nasthead anchor light then spreader lights in busy anchorages.
Old Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 08:29   #36

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

LED use no power
We have a brighter than requirements masthead and an LED downlight in each corner
Leave them on 24/7
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 09:17   #37

Boat: Catalina 470 (47')

In addition to our masthead anchor lights, we have about 20 small solar powered globe lights we put on the lifelines. In addition, we have about 10 solar powered LED tiki torches in and around the cockpit and hanging off the end of the boom. All the globes and most of the torches run all night (even in winter). The only downside is that we look a bit like a cruise ship (globes look like lit portals) from a short distance.
rweeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 09:50   #38

Boat: Rafiki 37

I'm all for being seen, regardless of official light layout, but I also appreciate proper light usage. Using night lights to communicate the intention, the type, and the size of vessel is vital in some areas.

Has anyone run into problems using non-standard lighting approaches? Either from the 'being-seen' side, or the 'seeing' perspective?

For the record, my anchor light is a mast-head mounted version. I do sometimes mount a cockpit light as well. In the past, when I cruised in busier areas, this was for water-level visibility, but mostly I've used this to find my way home after a tipsy cockpit or shore party.
Old 10-01-2023, 12:17   #39

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

"Tower" type LED lights of adequate brightness are available from various sources with inbuilt daylight detectors which automatically switch the light off and on every day. I use those from Bedazzled in the UK at about 10 USD each. They can supply them in a wide variety of bases to fit the sockets in most fixtures.

I also use a DIY lamp made from a garlic salt jar and such a LED which I hang just above the boom. This makes a distinctive light pattern which helps identify the boat when anchored in a crowded bay, and which is visible to boats with helms inside the cabin where upward vision is restricted.

And BTW, from an open cockpit point of view, masthead lights are quite easily distinguished from stars or shore lights at distances where collision is likely. The oft repeated thought that they are hard to see is IMO an old wife's tale! Vessels with biminis, especially when they are connected to dodgers, do have constraints on higher angle vision. They can't enjoy the stars on night watches either!

Jim
Old 10-01-2023, 13:12   #40

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
And BTW, from an open cockpit point of view, masthead lights are quite easily distinguished from stars or shore lights at distances where collision is likely. The oft repeated thought that they are hard to see is IMO an old wife's tale! Vessels with biminis, especially when they are connected to dodgers, do have constraints on higher angle vision. They can't enjoy the stars on night watches either!
Thanks for stating this Jim. I too have been confused or bemused by this oft-repeated claim. Yet I've never, ever, encountered such a problem, even when cruising in busy areas.
Old 10-01-2023, 14:37   #41

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Could be an old drunk’s tale too. Ha ha ha.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 15:08   #42

Boat: Volkscruiser

Lads I did a damage assessment survey on a Lagoon cat that was anchored in Hervey Bay. He only had a mast head anchor light and got T-boned by a small trailer boat that didn't see him. The mast light was 70 foot above the water line at least. I think both were at fault as the cat was anchored to close to the channel and the small boat skipper should have been keeping a better look out. Still you can't realistically expect a "weekend warrior" to have enough sea experience to look 70 feet in the air for an anchor light. The Lagoon owner admitted they had a few other close calls, so they knew the anchor light height was a problem.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 15:22   #43

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Lads I did a damage assessment survey on a Lagoon cat that was anchored in Hervey Bay. He only had a mast head anchor light and got T-boned by a small trailer boat that didn't see him. The mast light was 70 foot above the water line at least. I think both were at fault as the cat was anchored to close to the channel and the small boat skipper should have been keeping a better look out. Still you can't realistically expect a "weekend warrior" to have enough sea experience to look 70 feet in the air for an anchor light. The Lagoon owner admitted they had a few other close calls, so they knew the anchor light height was a problem.
Cheers
Which is why larger boats really ought to light the decks up like the big boats do.

With LED spreader/deck lights and the size of modern electrical systems, it’s a rounding error to do so.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 15:29   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Well, I've tried to find my boat in an anchorage crowded with boats and anchor lights. It's no easy task, but I look for the light that is near eye level and aim for that, hoping it's my boat.
Invariably there has been a snootful of the good stuff by the time you go anchor light hunting.. and this....I'm told....could affect your vision...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 16:00   #45
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

I also use a DIY lamp made from a garlic salt jar and such a LED which I hang just above the boom. This makes a distinctive light pattern which helps identify the boat when anchored in a crowded bay, and which is visible to boats with helms inside the cabin where upward vision is restricted.

Jim
Very interesting Jim, you must be an early adopter of the Garlic peel derived high capacity hierarchical N-doped porous carbon anode for sodium/lithium ion cell chemistry. There is (apparently) a lot of research on organic sodium/lithium ion cells and you aren't the first to try garlic. How long does you DIY garlic cell and LED illuminate before either recharging or replacing the garlic salts?

See https://www.researchgate.net/publica...thium_ion_cell
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags