Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2021, 11:33   #1

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)
Who is a 'bluewater skipper'? What is 'bluewater preparation'?

Inspired by Don C L's contribution , post #437 in the multiyear 'What exactly is a bluewater boat' thread that refuses to die,

I ask you: What makes one a 'bluewater skipper'? Your stories, your tales, your successes and failures. I can read books and articles, but nothing is as riveting as having you all go at each other.

And me! Got at me! I'm an inveterate coastal cruiser who's probably got more hours at the helm of a keelboat than a lot of you, but has Zero (0) ambition to go more than 30 miles offshore. However, one can always learn new tricks, and they do have some wind and waves and trouble out there where I am, so I'm sure I'll learn something new.

Bonus question: What do you do to prepare your boat for 'bluewater passages?' We've all read a ton about AWB making passages... those of you have done it, what, if anything, did you do to feel comfortable/in control out there on your jennie/bennie/hanse/bavaria?

Feel free to use smilies and dismissive putdowns on me, the OP, but please try to be nice to each other.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:13   #2

Boat: Leopard 40
Re: Who is a 'bluewater skipper'? What is 'bluewater preparation'?

aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:57   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
I can read books and articles, but nothing is as riveting as having you all go at each other...........................

These anecdotes would be different how?

I agree:

Furthest I've gone offshore = 25 nm to the Farralone Islands off San Francisco.

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 14:45   #4

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
These anecdotes would be different how?

I agree:

Furthest I've gone offshore = 25 nm to the Farralone Islands off San Francisco.

I gotta believe, given the diversity of the 440+ posts about what exactly a bluewater boat is, there ought to be plenty of variations on these questions.

As you know, there's blue water 25 miles of shore, but that's not what anyone means! (there was a "what is blue water" thread a while back)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 1.52.54 PM.jpeg
Views:	182
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	249338  
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
Old 04-12-2021, 15:05   #5

Boat: N/M 45

It's a pretty simple definition in my book - coastal cruising means you can pick and choose the weather to move around in and plan to get back to a safe port if the weather deteriorates. water sailing">Blue water sailing involves passage making when you can't call the weather and therefore have to contend with whatever comes your way.

Nothing to do with stories, etc. - it's simplistic way to denote if hops are short enough to take advantage of forecast weather windows, or if the duration is longer than forecasts are accurate.
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 15:34   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Our first offshore passage was from San Francisco to Oahu in Jim's Yankee 30. We deemed it necessary to take a 20 lb. sack of onions with us. This was based on an estimate of 1 onion per day per person, for all the days at sea. No idea why we didn't buy separately, for the trip over, and then for the trip back (Maui onions are super).

Here's another chuckle for you. That boat had an ice box. Well, the ice was always gone by day 7. Here's a question you may never have asked yourself: what happens when the lid to the tomato juice pitcher comes off, the pickle jar spills, and the lid comes off the mayo while you are beating to weather to get around the Pacific High? It was a pretty disgusting mess, I can tell you, and Jim volunteered to clean it up by himself. The icebox had a teak grating in the bottom, so it required sanitization, too. Yes, we learned about making sure everything has been secured.

Ann
Old 04-12-2021, 16:06   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Our first offshore passage was from San Francisco to Oahu in Jim's Yankee 30. We deemed it necessary to take a 20 lb. sack of onions with us. This was based on an estimate of 1 onion per day per person, for all the days at sea. No idea why we didn't buy separately, for the trip over, and then for the trip back (Maui onions are super).

Here's another chuckle for you. That boat had an ice box. Well, the ice was always gone by day 7. Here's a question you may never have asked yourself: what happens when the lid to the tomato juice pitcher comes off, the pickle jar spills, and the lid comes off the mayo while you are beating to weather to get around the Pacific High? It was a pretty disgusting mess, I can tell you, and Jim volunteered to clean it up by himself. The icebox had a teak grating in the bottom, so it required sanitization, too. Yes, we learned about making sure everything has been secured.

Ann
1) Onions! You were thinking of scurvy! See, I never need to worry about that on the 50-mile hop to Provincetown!

2) Tomato + aspic + mayo... there might be a decent sauce in that, if you, say, broil bluefish in it. The mayo sucks out all the oils that give bluefish an icky taste, and the tomato-aspic combo might be tangy and fun. Serve with onions and fried pickles!
Old 04-12-2021, 16:37   #8

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:

Ann
This is one of the best posts I’ve ever read on any forum. Absolutely hilarious (in retrospect) and well written too.

Thanks, Ann
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 16:50   #9

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
1 onion per day per person, for all the days at sea. what happens when the lid to the tomato juice pitcher comes off, the pickle jar spills, and the lid comes off the mayo while you are beating to weather to get around the Pacific High?

Ann
Yeah, I was going to say too it sounds like just break out the chips!

So.. I am very curious about the onion a day thing...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 21:22   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
As you know, there's blue water 25 miles of shore
Or 5 NM in my case, but we have to go nearly 10 before we get more than 1000 metres under the keel.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 22:41   #11

Boat: Volkscruiser

DMF Sailing as a marine surveyor I have met countless blue water skippers and I would say balls, luck and ignorance are probably the most common traits. Not to often do I meet a well experienced skipper who then goes "blue water" I probably do but it is the characters that stick in your mind.
Same with "blue water" boats, if it floats then that is good enough to cross an ocean it seems.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 22:56   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Or 5 NM in my case, but we have to go nearly 10 before we get more than 1000 metres under the keel.
Whereas I'd have to go 100 NM to get more than 1,000 feet under mine!

O, the perfidy of oceanographic topography!
Old 05-12-2021, 00:32   #13

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Sailing offshore is not a special skill compared to equipping and storing the stuff for a long passage.. just my exp..
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 00:48   #14
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

The sailing is usually quite straightforward off shore in my experience.
Old 05-12-2021, 02:12   #15

Boat: no boat any more

..it used to be somebody who planned his/her way around the world with "Ocean Passages for the world" & Pilot/Routeing charts & found it using a sextant & tables & paper charts...
alas, no more...

Tags
Bluewater, skipper, water