Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2012, 07:43   #1

Which way out?

Ahoy, seriously a friend called me and wanted to know if I had any advice on the best route from Jamaica to Florida. He himself is not much of a sailor and maybe a crew member on a friends 40 to 45 foot sailboat. This friend told him there are two options of starting off on a very westerly route to take the Tradewinds or more direct North route to catch the Gulfstream.

I am a very decent small boat sailor but no kind of Bluewater Capt.. Of course my first reaction is if they have to asked me they might have more serious concerns than the best route. If this trip will take place they know they need one or two very able Seaman to go with them.

They are not any type of smugglers but the reason he might be leaving is a very colorful one in the Jamaican tradition.

Does anyone have any experience or say in the matter of this two direction option from Jamaica to Florida and which would be preferable this time of year? The foolish man waits my input. I don't think you'll be liable for any advice. Also do think there is there a better category at this forum that I should post this request? Thank you kindly, Tim
Timgoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 08:13   #2

Re: Which way out?

depends which end of Jamaica he is on,,,western end,sail west around Cuba, wind
and current are with him all the way round to Miami.
Eastern end,,,,Motor /sail back up through the windward passage between Cuba and
Hiati then use wind and current to get him to Miami..
Either way,there's a good chance he's going to be boarded by the Coasties b4 he sets
foot on land.
mindsofman is offline   Reply With Quote