Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2017, 14:14   #61
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: What happens when your mast hits an opening bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Don't know about others.. but my contract states the yachts insurance for the trip is the owners responsibility and its up to the insurers to accept or reject my services for the trip.. that's one of the ways I keep my rate down.. fewer overheads.
I do however have an accident Insurance with my own boats insurer which covers me and any crew.
There have been occasions when the original insurers would not accept me but the owner wanted me particularly.. so they switched across to Panteanius.
That makes sense Boatie......
must be a U Sue thing
Old 18-01-2017, 14:19   #62

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

GILow, my apoligies if I came off harsh. Such wasn't my intent. As to damages caused by losing a rig. Unless you're out in heavy weather when it happens, usually the damage is primarily to the rig, & also to the lifelines when it falls. But this assumes a rigging failure, not a collision where the rig takes the entirety of the energy of the collision. Which, the structures that the rig is attached to will take a huge percentage of this. Pretty much all of the energy not absorbed by the rig crumpling.

I imagine too that part of my being cynical on this topic has to do with having been on numerous boats involved in severe collisions, & accidents. And a few dismastings, mostly when it was blowing pretty good. Ditto on boats that had their backstays cranked up tight enough to break the boat's spine. Bulkheads either pulled loose, or through the deck by highly tensioned rigging coupled with severe wave loadings or slamming. And plain old breaking boats due either to their light construction, extremely severe weather, or both. For example, more than one or two IACC boats, where at times every frame in the boat got blown out in the course of a few hours. But was repaired pretty much overnight.

If anyone's curious to see what collision damage from a severe knock to a boat causes, click on the below link. And take a bit of time studying the pics. They're fairly informative if you at all pay attention, or know what to look for. She's a lightly built racer subject to all manner of interior, & exterior damage. Including her bulkheads being toast, ditto her stringers & some other structural bits. Though by no means the level of damage something that only a lightly built racer can suffer. Pound on any boat hard enough & things will break, guaranteed.
http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/26349

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
Old 18-01-2017, 14:26   #63
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainsil View Post
Why don't you all watch their videos from the start before you comment any further.
I did and posted the last video.
They seem to be a nice couple.

While I personally will not criticise what happened other than to view it a dumb mistake by a probably very tired skipper....I have to ask.....

When people display their lives on a public channel... does that not open them up for public criticism.? (Whether constructive or not)
Old 18-01-2017, 14:28   #64

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Tragic!!
Hopefully they had full insurance coverage on their boat.
Old 18-01-2017, 14:30   #65

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
GILow, my apoligies if I came off harsh. Such wasn't my intent. [/URL]
That's ok, you hadn't had your coffee.

Thanks for the link to that damaged race boat, makes me feel much better about my slow, SOLID old Swanson.
Old 18-01-2017, 14:32   #66

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Been through (under ) Jupiter Federal many times. They usually tell you not to proceed until the bridge is fully open. This is 100% the fault of the boat operator. There is a strong current but having come in that way they should have been well aware of it. Sad story. Boat never wins when it's boat against bridge. By the way the operators at this bridge are fairly responsive to requests for openings. 100% boat operator's fault.

There is another bridge (Indiantown Road Bridge) less than a 1/4 mile south of Jupiter Federal and it only opens on the hour and half hour. The boat operator might have been in a hurry to catch that one. Jupiter Federal is on request.
Old 18-01-2017, 14:34   #67

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

Suijin, thank you for your response.

Dirk
Old 18-01-2017, 14:40   #68

Ouch!

I don't know a thing about the legal side of all this, but would hope that the captain crunch bears some significant responsibility, because...

Hey captain, you hit the f--king bridge, you moron!
Old 18-01-2017, 14:46   #69
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
That's ok, you hadn't had your coffee.

Thanks for the link to that damaged race boat, makes me feel much better about my slow, SOLID old Swanson.
My understanding is that their roller furling head stay hit the bridge head on....(guessing 3 to 4 knots)

The shock forces I imagine would be the angled stay forcing the bow down as it tried to slide under.

Initial severe shock tempered only by the down thrust against buoyancy.

Then the bow plate let's go...the forestay goes slack and overstressed the baby stay which let's go.

Meanwhile, buoyancy pushes back as does the forestay and the boat backs away with the skipper probably in full astern.

Damages seem consistent with above forces.

Lucky their mast was keel stepped or it would have come down
Old 18-01-2017, 15:52   #70
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
The woman pointed out that they were not going to clear and he overrode her. It was probably too late at that point anyway, as it was only seconds between her warning and collision. Professional paid USCG licensed captain made the error and he is responsible for it.
Exactly what I saw in the video, which makes me wonder how many posters on this thread have actually watched the video. The woman owner called out several times to the captain that they did not have clearance and that the bridge was not fully open; and he basically responded with his version of "damn the torpedos... full speed ahead." The hired skipper is 100% fully responsible for this accident, not the young owners and not the bridge operator. The owners seemed to know their own limitations, which is evident by their hiring someone to skipper the boat and educate them.

The skipper was clearly not up to the task. What a boob.
Old 18-01-2017, 15:57   #71

Boat: wanting a cat

I'm thinking, what a dick...

I empathize with them, they seem to handle the incompetence of the skipper extremely well, I would have thrown him overboard!

meatservo
Old 18-01-2017, 16:13   #72

Boat: 1979 Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabo Jim View Post
What we can all learn about opening bridges from this very tragic event is:
1) Know the exact name of the bridge you are approaching.
2) Have the phone number of the bridge (available from Active Captain) ready in case radio communication fails.

Cabo Jim
This bridge and the bridges I am familiar with also respond to a loud horn. One long blast followed by one short blast.
Old 18-01-2017, 16:18   #73
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
That makes sense Boatie......
must be a U Sue thing
The hired skipper should have his own liability insurance, which is there to cover his own acts of stupidity. The boat owners carry accident and liability insurance on the boat.
Old 18-01-2017, 16:27   #74

Boat: Cornado 25

Sad to see such an object lesson. Never approach a bridge closer than you can maneuver away from (Crazy Ivan) in case of problems with the opening. Never enter the fenders until the bridge is FULLY open. Be prepared to drop an emergency hook in case of engine failure. And on and on...

Situational awareness, and having a plan in your pocket if it all goes pear shaped are key. Always, all the time. It can all go to crap in a heart beat.

A watch and a calendar are the two most dangerous things on board your average vessel.
Old 18-01-2017, 16:41   #75
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What happens when your mast hits an opening bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The hired skipper should have his own liability insurance, which is there to cover his own acts of stupidity. The boat owners carry accident and liability insurance on the boat.
Whatever you say Keno..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Closed Thread

Tags
mast