Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2017, 04:14   #241
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What happens when your mast hits an opening bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Let's see...

You accept payment for services rendered, you advertise your boat delivery service here on CF, but somehow.... you're "not a business?".

I don't think it works that way.

Looks to me like the thread has drifted over to the opinion of members who've actually read their insurance policies, that the negligent actions of a paid skipper aren't covered under their boat policy, so.... anyone accepting payment for skipper services, sure better have their own liability policy in place.

Otherwise.... the boat owner will be $chit out of luck if there's a loss caused by the skipper.
I think you'll find if you check with your insurance company itself as opposed to reading the policy set up specifically for your boat at the time of purchase and you as commander.. and before the time you need a delivery service.. you will need two extra coverages temporarily tagged on for the duration of the trip.

[QUOTE] Pantaenius UK Limited acts on behalf of the Insurers. Any information you provide to Pantaenius and any payments made to Pantaenius are deemed to have been received by the Insurers.
Use of your yacht: Your yacht is covered for normal private and pleasure use, and when it is laid up, ashore or afloat, and during hauling and launching.
Unless specifically excluded, participation in regattas and amateur racing is covered (but not motor boat racing).
If you wish to use your yacht for charter purposes (Skipper Charter or Bareboat Charter) you will need to have our prior written agreement, and will need to pay a higher premium.
You are not insured if you are engaged in any illegal activity.
Other Conditions with which you must comply: You must answer truthfully all questions we ask you before you take out the policy of insurance. Failure to do so may invalidate your cover.
You must tell us if you modify your yacht or there is a change in the information you gave us before the policy started, if it increases the risk we have agreed to insure.
You must notify us as soon as possible of any incident which might result in a claim and must await our approval before proceeding with repairs if you intend to make a claim.
You must take reasonable emergency action to avoid or minimise any claim which might be payable by us.
You must not admit any liability without our prior consent.
[QUOTE]
How YOU choose to interpret the above is your choice however I do emphasise to owners that they DO inform their insurers as to the delivery and the fact there will be another skipper in command for the limited time period of the voyage..
However if the Owner is a tight assed dick wad who wants to try and pass the buck on an unseaworthy boat to the skipper taking on a major risk to himself and his crew and then something goes wrong.. his bad luck.
Myself and my crew are covered by my policy.. its not my responsibility to cover someone else's piece of crap.. its the owners..

I should add.. I would be happy to take out a full hull policy for the delivery on the proviso that the owner is prepared to cover the cost of a full hull survey by a surveyor of MY choice and arrange for all faults found to be dealt with Before the date set for the voyage.. can't see an owner going for that though.. most don't want the risk on themselves in any way that's why you hire us to take it for you..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 31-01-2017, 04:45   #242

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: What happens when your mast hits an opening bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I think you'll find if you check with your insurance company itself as opposed to reading the policy set up specifically for your boat at the time of purchase and you as commander.. and before the time you need a delivery service.. you will need two extra coverages temporarily tagged on for the duration of the trip.
Either this is a poorly written sentence or you're agreeing with Kenomac, I can't tell which. You appear to be stating that additional coverage is required to cover a paid captain.

But I do agree with his other point. If you're accepting payment for services, you're a business, at least as far as the law is concerned. You may be a sole proprietor, a consultant, a whatever, but you're a business. You don't need a business license or accreditation of any sort for the law to view you as a business.

Of course, if you're getting paid "under the table", I suppose you then are just a "friend" on a client's boat. Until the insurance company finds out that you were hired to captain the boat, at which point whether you pay taxes or not is irrelevant.
Old 31-01-2017, 04:46   #243

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]
You must tell us if you modify your yacht or there is a change in the information you gave us before the policy started, if it increases the risk we have agreed to insure.
How can the risk to the insurance company be greater when the vessel is being operated by a licensed (competent) skipper as opposed to the admittedly inexperienced owner of the vessel?
Old 31-01-2017, 05:13   #244
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
How can the risk to the insurance company be greater when the vessel is being operated by a licensed (competent) skipper as opposed to the admittedly inexperienced owner of the vessel?
Please go back and read post #1 on this thread.
Old 31-01-2017, 05:26   #245
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Ken you need to get off of Boatie's back. He has played nice with you, time to reciprocate

Anyone with any sense at all will contact their insurance to determine the coverage if they are having their boat delivered over Oceans, most likely they will have to purchase additional insurance and send a copy of the delivery Captain's Resume, regardless of whether the Capt carries insurance, however if they do, I would assume your insurance Co would want details.
Bottom line your doing something, anything maybe out of the ordinary, a call to the insurance Co is warrantied, myself I want an email from them explaining what we talked about on the phone for my records.
Especially if the boat is your domicile and represents a significant amount of your wealth.
Now if your a Lawyer and can interpret the policy, then maybe you don't need to call, I'm not, so I would call.

Hiring a free lance delivery Captain is no different than hiring a free lance fiberglass guy, painter or anything else. If you require a million dollar insurance coverage, best stick to the big yards, and pay big yard prices. Nothing at all wrong with that, that is why they are there
Old 31-01-2017, 05:42   #246
cruiser

Quote:
There ya go again.. spew out the caustic snide then accuse folk of trolling when they respond.. oh so righteous..
Maybe if you read posts through, or put your brain in gear.. you'd realise I'm not a business.. but hell.. wave that wooden spoon around all you want little man.. and I'll keep giving you the finger..
Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Ken you need to get off of Boatie's back. He has played nice with you, time to reciprocate
Yeah right.....

Somehow it's difficult to see judging by the above post directed at me.
Closed Thread

Tags
mast