Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2019, 13:23   #16

Boat: Beneteau 445
Re: Two sailors missing in the South Atlantic

I hope we can get some insight into what really happened, whether they were knocked down or got pooped and washed from deck. Were they tethered, life jackets, etc. At least we might be able to learn something from this tragedy.
As for the politics, I am glad I didn't mention the "Islands", specially being and Argie myself.
Miguelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 13:58   #17

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The article mentions a capsize and self-recovery, which could be a severe knockdown. The boat looks in pretty good shape in the Merco Press picture--the rig is still up. The MOB could have been in the cockpit but not harnessed on, while the injuries could have been incurred inside the boat when they got hit by the big wave. These people are not youngsters.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 17:49   #18

Boat: Sailboat, 37' Fast Yacht.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibj View Post
Falkland Islands to give them the name chosen by the residents.
Two persons missing in ocean, and you preocuped wiith oficial mame of the islands??!!
What kind of person are you???!
Sergio Valle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:07   #19

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio Valle View Post
Two persons missing in ocean, and you preocuped wiith oficial mame of the islands??!!
My apologies for my insensitive post that I ask the moderators to delete. It is surely a tragedy that two people are missing.
nibj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:25   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Two sailors missing in the South Atlantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio Valle View Post
A bureaucrat..???

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:14   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Sergio V.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 19:39   #22

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

I think whay happened here is that the original document in French said Malouines that Google translated literally as Malvinas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Falklands is English usage, Malvinas is Spanish usage.... samesame Deutschland/Germany..... and the language of this forum is English...

Nada mas.... unless one wants to politicise things.....
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 19:42   #23

Boat: Sabre 402

French investigation bureau has come out with a report detailing what happened. http://www.bea-mer.developpement-dur...adise_2019.pdf It appears that only one of the three people in the cockpit was wearing a lifjacket or harness when a wave knocked the 60’ vessel over 110º, about 500 miles from the Falklands. (Mast went in the water.) Conditions at the time were 35- 50 knot winds with 5-6 meter waves. One victim was apparently unconscious when she hit the water. The captain held on to a line dragging astern but could not maintain his grip. The crew got the engine going and threw a horseshoe buoy, which blew away, then deployed a life raft which the captain was able to grab onto but was unable to climb into. They cut the liferaft loose because the boat was jerking it away from him. The motor then stalled. They subsequently lost sight of both victims and the raft, and were unable to restart the engine because water from the wave had swamped the solenoid switch causing the starter motor to burn out. A rescue plane found the liferaft and directed the boat (now under sail) to it, but the raft was empty. The third person was severely injured by being thrown against the bimini structure, though her lifejacket inflated and she was able to hold on to a winch. She was transferred to another vessel and then taken by helicopter to hospital in the Falklands. The non-use of safety equipment and scant supply of it aboard - no MOB pole, no strobe, no Lifesling, no harnesses used- all contributed to the loss of life, according to the report.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail