Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2022, 03:57   #166
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Tricolor considered harmful; Red over green preferred

Quote:
the common objection is that the practice of carrying two sets of navigation lights is prohibited by Colregs. It isn’t.
carrying both sets is permitted , lighting both isn’t permitted at present.
Old 05-04-2022, 04:23   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Exactly!

Stan, thanks for the excellent work on the study and paper. And I appreciate that you indicated some sailors might find the results controversial. But I agree that the COLREGS are very clear that a sailboat less than 20m can light either a tricolor or a standard set of lights. Your argument that duplicate sets of navigation lights are unlikely to be mistaken for other lights defined elsewhere in the rules just doesn't make sense. If it was really congested and you wanted your boat to be noticed, should we put three or four sets of lights around the boat?

Sorry, it is just one of my peeves - staring off into a set of lights at night and trying to figure out what they mean because they don't prescribe to the rules.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 04:26   #168
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Tricolor considered harmful; Red over green preferred

I agree that allowing both sets of lights is not a good idea. It’s more likely to be misinterpreted as another boat and it would be an anomaly in the COLREGS , I don’t see the regs accepting the argument

My view is a set of all round sidelights on the mast 1 metre apart is the alternative to low side lights.
Old 05-04-2022, 04:52   #169
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

You may laugh, but when I first set out on my voyaging, I was given a beautiful pair of oil wick brass running light lenses replete with glass fresnel lens in red and green. These were quite large, easily the size of a of big loaf of bread, which I placed on teak boards attached to the lower shrouds ala ships of old.

I didn't use them all the time, but they did see quite a bit of use, when I could lay my hands on some lamp oil. They worked remarkable well, much better than the rinky dink navigational lights I had on the deck, as they were about 10' above the waterline, but I eventually fitted a tri-color light.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 05:49   #170
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

In fact, it is a weirdly sailor-centric viewpoint.

Viewed from starboard forward, you see red over red (not under command). Viewed from astern, white over white (probably towing).

No, COLREGS specifically says you cannot show both deck level and tricolor, and that won't change.

Red over green was not commented on or discussed. A single reference, only explaining that it existed. The lack of discussion was a disappointment to me and was probably a source of laughter for the COLREGS committee. The solution to the "supposed" problem existed and the report ignored it for no specified reason.

The authors are smart guys, but not on this topic, not in this report. More like embarrassing.
Old 05-04-2022, 05:52   #171
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanhoney View Post
1. The document argues that when sailing in a harbor at night with lots of traffic, it can be good seamanship to light both your masthead tricolor as well as your deck level sidelights and sternlight. It concludes that when sailing in close proximity to other boats that neither set of navigation lights solves all problems. ... The common objection is that the practice of carrying two sets of navigation lights is prohibited by Colregs. It isn’t. The configuration of the two sets of navigation lights is unlikely to be mistaken for lights defined elsewhere in the rules which would be prohibited.
Sorry, I think that you are misreading this. The document makes it clear that ColRegs do not allow running around with the masthead tri-color and deck side and stern lights illuminated. It indicates that this may be permitted on occasion to attract attention.

If you are distinguishing between "carrying" and "using" duplicated navigation lights, I fully agree that it is prudent to have a choice of which to illuminate, but not to use both at the same time.

As far as, "The configuration of the two sets of navigation lights is unlikely to be mistaken for lights defined elsewhere in the rules which would be prohibited." - if both tri-color and deck lights are illuminated, a sailboat from the port side would appear as red-over-red or Not under command, and from the stern it would be white-over-white or Towing under 200m from ahead.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 15:11   #172

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Martin R gets the manatee crew to tip their hats. Excellent post.
Simple...get a strobe.
All we want on the bridge of a commercial vessel is a brief radio call and a flick of your mast head strobe.
This is not rocket science nor Admirality Law class.
Captain Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 16:29   #173

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
Sorry, I think that you are misreading this. The document makes it clear that ColRegs do not allow running around with the masthead tri-color and deck side and stern lights illuminated. It indicates that this may be permitted on occasion to attract attention.

If you are distinguishing between "carrying" and "using" duplicated navigation lights, I fully agree that it is prudent to have a choice of which to illuminate, but not to use both at the same time.

As far as, "The configuration of the two sets of navigation lights is unlikely to be mistaken for lights defined elsewhere in the rules which would be prohibited." - if both tri-color and deck lights are illuminated, a sailboat from the port side would appear as red-over-red or Not under command, and from the stern it would be white-over-white or Towing under 200m from ahead.
The 12 or 15 metre separation of the red over red or the white over white would probably go a long way to removing any confusion.
I'm still not in favour of the idea.