Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2022, 10:43   #31

Re: Tips for short people sailing solo!

I have a sail pack and never detach the main halyard from the headboard; it comes out at the forward end of the zipper, and I tie it back to the lazy jacks, then snug the halyard at it’s cockpit clutch to eliminate “ the devil’s tattoo”. If you watch Sailrite’s sail pack instruction video, near the end it shows you how to add a continuous zipper line that can be operated from any location along the boom that is convenient for you. Good luck!
billcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 10:49   #32

Boat: 2013 Nautitech 542

I'm 6'1" and I still don't like stepping up the mast to undo the haylard. It just increases the chances I'll get hurt.

What I do, unless I'm leaving the boat for a long period, is this:

After I've dropped the sails and tied up or anchored, I put extra slack in the main halyard, grab it with a boat hook from the hardtop and pull that slack down. I put the haylard either through a small dynema loop I have on the stackpack (highlighted in green) or down around a cleat on the boom (red line traces the halyards path). Then I snug up the halyard. This keeps the halyard from banging on the mast and firmly holds the mainsail down.

Looping it around the boom cleat is super secure. It can cause some very minor chaffing on the stackpack but who cares? A little discoloration of the stackpack better than missing a month of sailing because of a sprained ankle. :-D

You'll figure out your own tricks! Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2217.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	252794  
gsuescum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 18:57   #33

One other solution that I've not seen anyone mention is granny bars around the mast. I use those like I would a ladder.
CyKlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 13:57   #34

Boat: Com-Pac SunCat 17

When purchasing the folding step(s), buy the stainless steel version and not the chromed brass if using on an aluminum mast. That way you eliminate a potential source of corrosion.
Bertinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 14:02   #35
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa P View Post
I'm 5ft tall, lightly built female and can't reach the head of the main to attach the main halyard or zip the sail bag cover.

how about seeing over the cabin top when steering

gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 16:00   #36

That's one way to do it.

If you don't feel like adding anything permanent you could get a pair of "aiders" aka "etriers" which are basically webbing ladders climbers use for ascending stuff. Bonus is they won't be in the way when you don't need them and you can use them to climb halyards on the mast (I think) using prussiks. Not positive about the latter, I guess it depends on your rig but it might be worth considering. The only problem I can see with the aiders is they'll probably be less stable if you have to use them in a seaway
Notfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 16:03   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsuescum View Post
I'm 6'1" and I still don't like stepping up the mast to undo the haylard. It just increases the chances I'll get hurt.

What I do, unless I'm leaving the boat for a long period, is this:

After I've dropped the sails and tied up or anchored, I put extra slack in the main halyard, grab it with a boat hook from the hardtop and pull that slack down. I put the haylard either through a small dynema loop I have on the stackpack (highlighted in green) or down around a cleat on the boom (red line traces the halyards path). Then I snug up the halyard. This keeps the halyard from banging on the mast and firmly holds the mainsail down.

Looping it around the boom cleat is super secure. It can cause some very minor chaffing on the stackpack but who cares? A little discoloration of the stackpack better than missing a month of sailing because of a sprained ankle. :-D

You'll figure out your own tricks! Good luck!
Thanks for that tip, I will try something similar on my boat next time. Could save precious seconds in an emergency!👍🙂
Notfast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing