Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2021, 16:04   #31

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46.1
Re: Tips for docking dual rudder boats

I’ve gone from Beneteau First 25 (dual rudder) to Beneteau 31 (single) to Beneteau 35.1 (dual) to now Beneteau 41.1 (single)… I think your 349 is a sister ship to the 35.1 — here’s my tips:

1) A rudder is not a rudder. The dual outboard canted rudders can be half the length/depth of a single centered deep spade rudder and they just act differently because they are canted well outboard and shallower when docking. So, think about them differently and be ready for it!
2) a single rudder feels in docking like you are docking on rails… as the boat coasts in and slows, you don’t lose steerage until you are almost full stop. Dual rudders — outboard and canted feel drifty in comparison — just picture yourself in a canoe with the oar somewhat in the water and canted out trying to steer; then picture yourself steering with the oar centered straight down and dug in deep — that’s what I think about when docking single vs dual, because with dual rudders you loose steerage sooner, but, you lose that in-a-groove feeling sooner too and you feel the drift… on the First 25, 20+ knots on the dock, with a shared slip, single-handing — oh my, good times
3) dual outboard canted rudders (especially here in the Port of Los Angeles) are kelp magnets. They are not as protected as a single rudder that’s directly behind the keel. I carried a folding 8” Silky Gomboy, that required me to be tethered to my jackline, lying on my stomach, reaching down over the stern to cut off kelp — with roots it could be 50lbs — in order to neither sail, nor have to dock with that affecting steerage. You’ll know what I mean when your boat slows right down in forward idle and steering feels all gummy. Try docking with THAT.
4) last tip is I’ve had more success thinking about a ‘rectangle’ approach to docking maneuvers than a more swooping ‘oval’ approach. With dual rudders it’s harder to rectangle and you end up swooping when your speed is down and the wind is up

Hope this helps! Congrats on the 349 — great choice!!
Beneteau2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 22:31   #32

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post
S/V Jedi is correct. See my post above. As I noted, it does work, but it helps considerably to have a ball fender to create a pivot point. Also, it may take more effort if the wind is blowing you onto the dock. I was not clear, and apologize for my last sentence above. I was agreeing to the other poster’s comment about the rudder not having an effect - and should have better clarified that this procedure can work with a pivot point.

The other thing S/V Jedi mentioned that I strongly agree - is once you’ve got the stern off the dock a bit, don’t hesitate to be aggressive (give her some serious throttle!) and get her moving. You need the vessel moving in order to get some bite with the rudders and start going where you want. You don’t want to get blown back on the dock.

It really is easier then it sounds, so don’t get pre-stressed by this issue. I’ve successfully used spring lines and fenders for years to get boats off the dock, even when it’s blowing. It just takes a little forethought. It’s even possible to do it solo!
Thanks for the clarification! Someone else mentioned the spring issue which is why I bring it up. I actually do the forward spring trick on the Beneteau 31 single rudder I used to sail and am comfortable hard reversing back. I’ve been getting used to coming in a bit hotter than normal and having the large 18” dock wheels definitely helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneteau2011 View Post
I’ve gone from Beneteau First 25 (dual rudder) to Beneteau 31 (single) to Beneteau 35.1 (dual) to now Beneteau 41.1 (single)… I think your 349 is a sister ship to the 35.1 — here’s my tips:

1) A rudder is not a rudder. The dual outboard canted rudders can be half the length/depth of a single centered deep spade rudder and they just act differently because they are canted well outboard and shallower when docking. So, think about them differently and be ready for it!
2) a single rudder feels in docking like you are docking on rails… as the boat coasts in and slows, you don’t lose steerage until you are almost full stop. Dual rudders — outboard and canted feel drifty in comparison — just picture yourself in a canoe with the oar somewhat in the water and canted out trying to steer; then picture yourself steering with the oar centered straight down and dug in deep — that’s what I think about when docking single vs dual, because with dual rudders you loose steerage sooner, but, you lose that in-a-groove feeling sooner too and you feel the drift… on the First 25, 20+ knots on the dock, with a shared slip, single-handing — oh my, good times
3) dual outboard canted rudders (especially here in the Port of Los Angeles) are kelp magnets. They are not as protected as a single rudder that’s directly behind the keel. I carried a folding 8” Silky Gomboy, that required me to be tethered to my jackline, lying on my stomach, reaching down over the stern to cut off kelp — with roots it could be 50lbs — in order to neither sail, nor have to dock with that affecting steerage. You’ll know what I mean when your boat slows right down in forward idle and steering feels all gummy. Try docking with THAT.
4) last tip is I’ve had more success thinking about a ‘rectangle’ approach to docking maneuvers than a more swooping ‘oval’ approach. With dual rudders it’s harder to rectangle and you end up swooping when your speed is down and the wind is up

Hope this helps! Congrats on the 349 — great choice!!
Thanks! Very familiar with the kelp issues on the Beneteau 31 I sailed before and aware it’s going to be worse. I think I’m going to look for that boat hook that has a knife built into it.
Letterkenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 23:39   #33

Boat: Najad 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
Mainly looking for docking techniques for high wind blowing you onto the dock scenarios.

I lately succeeded in the following procedure when I was docked with boats 1m behind me and 2m in front, each had 3-4 other boats rafted up. F3-4 but mostly behind, not against the dock, though I believe it would also work.

Given the surrounding boats and no chance to exit by going backward (the boats that rafted up against mine were waiting there), I could not apply the default spring-off stern as mentioned above. So I did the following which should also perfectly apply to dual rudders:
- attach a (short) doubled line from outward aft cleat on the boat (that is, the one on the other side of the dock)
- detach all other lines
- start with low thrust forward,rudder straight
- once the line is tensioned, increase thrust and see the boat starting to move away from the dock. Apply as much thrust as needed
- continue until well away from dock, then stop thrust and take line off and move away forward

This was in a very packed lold inner harbour in southern Netherlands, with many pairs of eyes watching. Eventually when I was about to leave the harbour one guy complimented and said he would adopt this procedure in the future. Knowing how Dutchmen can be arrogant sometimes, this was quite a nice feedback.

Rudder needs to be straight as it actually supports the boat’a attempt to move away from the dock cleat where the line is attached. Putting the latter on the outward cleat makes the boat nicely move outward.
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 06:04   #34

Boat: Najad 373

I found this similar approach on YT:

Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2021, 21:33   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebramar View Post
I lately succeeded in the following procedure when I was docked with boats 1m behind me and 2m in front, each had 3-4 other boats rafted up. F3-4 but mostly behind, not against the dock, though I believe it would also work.

Given the surrounding boats and no chance to exit by going backward (the boats that rafted up against mine were waiting there), I could not apply the default spring-off stern as mentioned above. So I did the following which should also perfectly apply to dual rudders:
- attach a (short) doubled line from outward aft cleat on the boat (that is, the one on the other side of the dock)
- detach all other lines
- start with low thrust forward,rudder straight
- once the line is tensioned, increase thrust and see the boat starting to move away from the dock. Apply as much thrust as needed
- continue until well away from dock, then stop thrust and take line off and move away forward

This was in a very packed lold inner harbour in southern Netherlands, with many pairs of eyes watching. Eventually when I was about to leave the harbour one guy complimented and said he would adopt this procedure in the future. Knowing how Dutchmen can be arrogant sometimes, this was quite a nice feedback.

Rudder needs to be straight as it actually supports the boat’a attempt to move away from the dock cleat where the line is attached. Putting the latter on the outward cleat makes the boat nicely move outward.
Very interesting. I’ll be adding this to my bag of tricks!
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, dock, Docking, rudder