Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2019, 11:33   #16

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: tie tiller down when at dock

Except last night.

My tiller isn't tied to anything since I varnished it.

It moves at times but returns to center.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 13:07   #17

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

I used to lash mine when at anchor or docked. I used a couple of those heavy rubber shock cords you get at automotive stores. But Scorpius's rudder is big and heavy (a "barn door") and the tiller is a two-parter: the first foot is steel channel iron that fits into the rudder post saddle and into which the wood tiller fits. The autopilot drives just the steel part so the wood portion can be flipped up out of the way when underway.

The point is, that there's a bit of play - particularly between the rudder post saddle and the steel channel portion of the tiller - such that, when lashed, the two parts clank against each other and keep us awake nights.

Now I just leave it alone. Unless it's quite rough the heavy rudder just swings slowly, gently, and silently.

There's the added advantage that if hit by a log or something (fairly common around here) the rudder can just swing out of the way rather than being lashed immobile and possibly damaged.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 13:49   #18

Boat: Bavaria 38 Cruiser, 12meters, 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristikem View Post
Hey guys, this may be a silly question... I am a brand new boat owner, and novice sailor.... and of course I am so nervous about doing things right!
I want to secure my tiller when we are docked, so the rudder wont move... we have some wind and rain atm and i just want to make sure everything is secure.

any advice on how best to tie the tiller? I am currently using a line (tied off both sides to life line) but it doesn't seem to be strong enough to keep the tiller/rudder completely still when the water gets a bit choppier.

thanks for the advice!
K
Whatever system you use, and there are some really good ideas here, make sure that your tiller is immediately available without delay, so from that perspective I am wary about tying off the tiller unless you are very careful with the knots used. The reason being I was in a hurry one day to pick up sailing guests from the jetty and cast off my swing mooring after warming engine, various checks etc, but had neglected to release the tiller. To my horror I was drifting in a good current with no steerage and my knot jammed. I hit another boat on the stem (fortunately no damage to the other vessel.) before I got control. That's what is great about a forum like this, hopefully you get to learn from everyone else's mistakes.
Kerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 14:28   #19

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

Unless you are on a mooring, there is no reason there center the tiller. You will get less play if you tie it to one side, with a pad on the end to protect the side if the cockpit. Better to tie off to a winch, stanchion base, parsley or block base. Lifelines tend to have a bit too much slack to effectively keep the rudder in position.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 14:43   #20

Boat: Rhodes Bounty II

Yep tie it off amidships. A little play is inevitable and good. Protects the whole steering system from shock loads.
JDOradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 14:47   #21

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

I have heard it called a "steering stick" lol
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:56   #22

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristikem View Post
Hey guys, this may be a silly question... I am a brand new boat owner, and novice sailor.... and of course I am so nervous about doing things right!
I want to secure my tiller when we are docked, so the rudder wont move... we have some wind and rain atm and i just want to make sure everything is secure.

any advice on how best to tie the tiller? I am currently using a line (tied off both sides to life line) but it doesn't seem to be strong enough to keep the tiller/rudder completely still when the water gets a bit choppier.

thanks for the advice!
K
While lifelines are usually very taught, yours may not be adjusted well.

Tiller movement, may be and indication of a loose rudder bearing or tiller handle, especially if it's tied tightly and still moves.

In the PNW, there are areas that are swift in current.
A loose tiller can set your vessel, against a dock precariously if the stern is against the flow.
In Everett Wa, the Snohomish River peaks with tide flows that range in the 7 to 8 Knt. Flow when ebbing, during the peak tide.
I've been caught against the dock with the tide flow against the transom, and it's very concerning. A 28 ft. Coronado.

Important to be sure your tiller and rudder are secure, and in line with the vessel and not turned to one side or the other.
Cheers,
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:44   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry1 View Post
Whatever system you use, and there are some really good ideas here, make sure that your tiller is immediately available without delay, so from that perspective I am wary about tying off the tiller unless you are very careful with the knots used. The reason being I was in a hurry one day to pick up sailing guests from the jetty and cast off my swing mooring after warming engine, various checks etc, but had neglected to release the tiller. To my horror I was drifting in a good current with no steerage and my knot jammed. I hit another boat on the stem (fortunately no damage to the other vessel.) before I got control. That's what is great about a forum like this, hopefully you get to learn from everyone else's mistakes.
Speaking of safety, have a plan in case your tiller breaks in half.

Mine did just that this past year, and it was quite exciting for a while sailing in with sails alone until I started the outboard when I got close to the creek entrance

Winds were about 18 knots......and I was on a reach at the time
Old 06-12-2019, 08:52   #24

We have a Tiller-Tamer (see roverhi's link) and it is equally effective at holding the tiller position whether underway or stationary. We've also just tied the tiller off to one side or the other when docked, to create more seating room in the cockpit.

Just letting the tiller flop is not the best idea, and if there's waves or wakes, it could lead to wear or damage to the rudder and mounting.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 15:27   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
While lifelines are usually very taught

What are you teaching yours?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 15:48   #26

If all else fails and you have a tiller autopilot, you can always leave it hooked up to the tiller to hold it in place
Old 06-12-2019, 16:49   #27

More tiller shots.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00333.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	411.7 KB
ID:	204492   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00337.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	204493  

Name:	DSC00313.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	428.9 KB
ID:	204494   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00312.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	364.4 KB
ID:	204495  

Name:	DSC00317.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	424.9 KB
ID:	204496  
Old 13-12-2019, 06:37   #28

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland

This is not a replicable system, but it's a great idea for boat designers (unless there's a patent, I guess). My New Zealand vessel, Above the Fold, is a Wright 10, designed by Alan Wright a few decades ago.

On the Wright 10s and a couple of other boats he designed, the tiller is a straight stick that folds down into a slot in the cockpit sole. There's a fibreglass box that covers the slot when under sail or when the tiller is put away.

Obviously, with the tiller in its slot, the rudder is unable to move (and the cockpit is completely open).

I thought it was a brilliant idea when I first saw it and wondered why other designers haven't adopted it.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 06:56   #29

Boat: 2013 Nautitech 542

If you’re docked you don’t need to center it. Tie it off with one line to a cleat or winch to the side opposite where you board.

Enjoy you’re new boat!
gsuescum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 08:42   #30

I use strong bungee cords. It means that there is inch or so of play if something hits the rudder.
RaggioVerde is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock