Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2015, 10:47   #16

Boat: PSC Orion 27
Re: The Sinking of Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdominic_97 View Post
I love the statements of condolence from all the people. How much loss did he have posting a story he read on Facebook?
Just his second engine
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 10:56   #17

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Sounds like the mistake was something wrong with the fuel, not watching the vacuum gauges on the filters. That said it is still a fully functioning sail boat. Why not just turn around and SAIL to wherever you could, get in sheltered water then worry about the engines. Sorry you lost your boat but you cannot blame the Coast Guard. They are not commercial salvagers.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 13:29   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Just wait for the insurance rates to go up because of yet another unseamanlike decision from someone who had to get somewhere no matter what.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 13:50   #19
Marine Service Provider

There are so many questions remaining about this incident, most of which I would believe were caused by lack of preparation on many levels. None of we responders were there, we have no idea about the background of the OP or of his boat and while it may be wrong to second guess or not to try to be compassionate or considerate about his loss, there are just way too many questions. The answers to these questions may instruct all of us in some helpful manner. I would guess, and respectfully, it is only a guess, that the fuel tank was severely contaminated by either the awful stuff that grows in the fumes, by salt water or other crud in the fuel, there was a leak in the tank or the lines or the filters or somewhere that allowed fuel to escape and air to infiltrate. How could this have occurred or been prevented? But beyond that, we have a highly buoyant and stable boat with not one but two engines, and has already been mentioned--Sails! Why the Pan Pan call? What was the urgent danger? Why did the owner not secure the hatches himself? At that point this was not a Manifestly Unsafe Voyae (See the CFR 46) and the Coast Guard did not have authority to force the vessel into tow. Why not get clean diesel from that jerry jug and simply dip the fuel intake into that jug? Why add the good diesel to the apparently bad diesel? But the irony remains--it took an hour of shooting that boat full of machine gun bullets to finally sink it. If it was that buoyant and stable and had been afloat and sailing, what was the danger? If the fear was sailing into Cuban waters, then remain in contact with the USCG and then get out a sea anchor. I am serious not snarky. Can we get some answers or more information here please? Otherwise we concerned and sympathetic sailors can only speculate. Thank you.
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 18:52   #20

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Is it not ultimately the Master of the Boat's responsibility to make sure the vessel is watertight?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 19:48   #21
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Sad story.
Not all cruisers are true sailors or sea-men.
Maybe it is too easy pull out a credit card and go crusing, then yell for help if an engine quits.?
Allah knows I have made every mistake out there, but never asked for help and always made it back to shore. Not rocket science
Old 31-03-2015, 21:33   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I'm thinking of Humphrey Bogart and strawberry ice cream.

Nothing odd or unusual here at all, is there?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 21:56   #23

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 36, Ketch

If he hd two engines, why didn't he have two separate tanks and feed systems?
Olde Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:01   #24

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

I read this twice to see my if I could get the scenario right in my head and came up with another possibility. The article never mentioned anyone going over the side and checking the running gear. Fouled props and rudder will cause the same symptoms although I cant tell from the article if the engines would turn over in neutral and quit when placed in gear or if it was a fuel issue after all and the engines simply wouldn't start. I find it very hard to believe that 2 engines would be so utterly contaminated by bad fuel that trained diesel mechanics could not get them to at least start after purging the fuel lines and injectors and introducing fresh fuel. What are the odds? It was not mentioned whether or not when changing the filters if any water or contamination was found that could explain the engines quiting. The steering problem seems like a pretty big clue. Sail around the keys long enough you will catch a crab pot or two or a fisherman's net which will stop the engines and if caught in the rudder will cause steering / sailing issues. Last but not least Sunshine was a sailboat not a motor yacht her primary means of propulsion is her sails. While I understand and am guilty myself of motoring many miles in unfavorable conditions I always remind myself if its our boat and we lose the AUXILIARY engines we would sail in a direction that leads the vessel to safety the schedule or desired destination be damed. By the way I hate Monday morning quarterbacking and second guessing the crews and USCGs decisions because in fact I wasn't there and most assuredly do not have all the facts, I merely wanted to point out a possible cause and yes for those who are wondering I have been over the side on many occasions in similar conditions to cut stuff free from our vessel.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:23   #25
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
And to the OP Ralph, would you happen to have a link to the Facebook page?
Sorry, been too busy doing my bottom job to post. My wife is a member of "Women Who Sail", on FB. That's where I saw it. I'll see if there has been any more info since that post.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:31   #26
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktisBoy View Post
Last but not least Sunshine was a sailboat not a motor yacht her primary means of propulsion is her sails. While I understand and am guilty myself of motoring many miles in unfavorable conditions I always remind myself if its our boat and we lose the AUXILIARY engines we would sail in a direction that leads the vessel to safety the schedule or desired destination be damed.
Like you, I motor or motor-sail way too much. But I'm sure I could come up with plan B or plan C, and not lose my boat. I was just surprised how much the Coast Guard got involved.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:43   #27

Sorry for your loss. I too wonder "why not find a destination down wind", but I'm sure "you had to be there" comes into play.
It sounds like another case of dirty fuel tanks to me. I cannot stress enough to people who want to cross oceans to ensure your fuel and tanks are very clean.
What kind of boat was it? I see Hunter in the OP's info but two engines?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:51   #28

Boat: Custom 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Killam View Post
Your Hunter 36 had two engines?

Why wouldn't they stop the tow close here up and pump her out?

The OP is not the sailor involved, so his Hunter doesn't have 2 engines.

Very unusual for a sailboat to have 2 engines unless it is a massive motorsailor. That would explain it's inability to go to windward.

'
Custom30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:15   #29

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom30 View Post
The OP is not the sailor involved, so his Hunter doesn't have 2 engines.

Very unusual for a sailboat to have 2 engines unless it is a massive motorsailor. That would explain it's inability to go to windward.

'
Didn't Lancers have twin engines?

Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:18   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Sounds like a cat.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote