Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2022, 16:37   #301

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: The loss of M/V Conception

[QUOTE=Jammer;3698523]Because there weren't enough deck workers aboard to set a roving watch and be able to operate the boat and make dives during the day. The crew were already working long, physical, active hours. The way the industry has responded to the loss of the m/v Conception is to add a crew member to each of the similar boats so they can set a roving night watch.

And you would not have rubbed the crews noses in anything because before being the master of the vessel you would have had many voyages as crew aboard the same vessel and would understand how things are done. Furthermore you would have had several voyages where you were unofficially in charge on a probationary basis while another master was officially in charge and observing how you handled authority. Had you made a scene at that point you would have been overruled, and would find yourself working as crew while your promotion to master was inexplicably (to you) delayed.

And had, arguendo, you instituted a watch schedule and taken the night watches yourself, you would not be sufficiently rested during the day to perform your many duties during the day. Among those are some that that per the COI cannot be delegated, such as the roll call after each dive to be sure that all divers are back aboard.[/QUOTE

You are confused about the role of a captain. The captain is the ultimate authority aboard, and the captain has the responsibility to exercise that authority when necessary. A commercial boat is not a Democracy.

Having double-handed a boat around the world, I am well versed in fatigue, and I can tell you if the crew is rested enough to party, they are rested enough to stand watch at night.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2022, 19:16   #302

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I don't have much from my own experiences or discussions with friends from the SB harbor to add. I never did a dive trip on Conception but my wife and I got married on the sister ship Vision. I do sail past the anchorage they were in often and have pondered just how a fire could start that could overwhelm everyone, including crew, so quickly. The quote, "Both of the exits from that belowdecks bunkroom led to the galley, which was engulfed in fire and smoke, caused by what is thought to be household-grade wiring and lithium batteries that were charging on a ratís nest of extension cords." has always been my assumption. The gas given off, and/or just immediate lack of oxygen, from burning batteries, causing rapid unconsciousness had always been my conclusion as well. By accounts I know of Conception and the captain ran very successful trips for many years. The new thing that marked this trip, to me, from what I have read, was the addition of charging high capacity lithium batteries, which apparently was done in the galley and may have been done in the sleeping area as well.

Still, more to the point currently, IMO, if it is true the captain did not order the roving watch, was the first off the boat and did nothing to attempt rescue or fire suppression, that is hard to defend. That said, I have never seen a lithium battery fire personally but from what I have seen in videos they burn very fast, very hot, give off a lot of smoke and are nearly impossible to extinguish. Given what I have seen in videos I don't think the extinguishers that are required and present on a boat like Conception (and all boats) would have stopped the battery fire even if they had been used. And remember they had larger batteries for cameras and scooters. To the captain it may have appeared to be more of an uncontrollable explosion than a fire an extinguisher could put out. I don't mean that as an excuse or defense, just something else to consider.
Since I broached the subject of the fire caused by Lithium batteries I feel obligated to say I do not know that any agency has determined that was the cause definitively. The thread currently running regarding LFP safety, https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-269082-6.html, has been very interesting and I am in no position to, nor do I want to indict LFP batteries. IF the batteries were the culprit, what I did find even more interesting is the paper posted by donradcliffe, post #80, where it discussed the amounts of gases released by a runaway of both LFP (less likely) and NCA (more likely,) and the high amount of CO2 released. I know high concentrations of CO2 is much more dangerous than CO, (concentrations of 30% or more can cause unconsciousness in seconds, not minutes like CO) rendering the conditions for the crew potentially even more dangerous than just smoke if they had been able to enter the galley to try to fight the blaze.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2022, 20:35   #303

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Since I broached the subject of the fire caused by Lithium batteries I feel obligated to say I do not know that any agency has determined that was the cause definitively. The thread currently running regarding LFP safety, https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-269082-6.html, has been very interesting and I am in no position to, nor do I want to indict LFP batteries.

LFP batteries simply aren't used in dive gear. The various Li-Co chemistries are used instead.

I see it as a major problem. Dive lights, video lights, and scooters are of widely varying quality and safety and some/many of them use removable cells or packs due to the difficulty and expense of installing an electrical connector for charging that will remain sealed at depth. Cells vary in quality and removable cells are very easy to drop and are no longer safe to use after this has happened even once.

I have rethought my approach to dive lights having previously used ones with 18650 cells that had to be removed to be charged. I believe this is unsafe and have switched to lower-performance lights that use NiMH cells.

I still have lithium-cobalt batteries aboard for other purposes and do charge them aboard but they are all in packs or devices that provide some degree of cushioning and are all from well-known top-flight manufacturers that are reasonably careful about the safety of their cells.

While the accident report writers have chosen to focus on the absence of a roving watch I believe that the sloppy charging of lithium batteries of doubtful provenance was as much a part of the accident chain.
Old 27-10-2022, 21:59   #304

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
While the accident report writers have chosen to focus on the absence of a roving watch I believe that the sloppy charging of lithium batteries of doubtful provenance was as much a part of the accident chain.
I too suspect such an issue with the batteries was the origin of the fire. The few articles I've recently checked indicated part of why the NTSB wasn't able to focus more on this was due to still on-going investigations by the FBI and others, which prevented them from accessing all of the relevant evidence.

However, fires aboard ship have been a concern for ages. From a quick search it seems fires occur with some regularity, whether a cruise ship, a container ship, or a ro-ro passenger vessel. This makes effective detection and response a key part. Otherwise you're just playing whack-a-mole with the cut corner du jour.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2022, 00:13   #305
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
LFP batteries simply aren't used in dive gear. The various Li-Co chemistries are used instead.

I see it as a major problem. Dive lights, video lights, and scooters are of widely varying quality and safety and some/many of them use removable cells or packs due to the difficulty and expense of installing an electrical connector for charging that will remain sealed at depth. Cells vary in quality and removable cells are very easy to drop and are no longer safe to use after this has happened even once.

I have rethought my approach to dive lights having previously used ones with 18650 cells that had to be removed to be charged. I believe this is unsafe and have switched to lower-performance lights that use NiMH cells.

I still have lithium-cobalt batteries aboard for other purposes and do charge them aboard but they are all in packs or devices that provide some degree of cushioning and are all from well-known top-flight manufacturers that are reasonably careful about the safety of their cells.

It matters not. The captain does and must bear the consequences. Heís undertaken to provide a safe experience to his passengers. If that fails by whatever means heís responsible.
Old 02-11-2022, 14:48   #306
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat driver View Post
Lithium battery understanding was not public knowledge in this fire- it is without question the fire was started in the battery charging area, and the escape design of the vessel is a culmination of years errors prior to the captain taking the helm.

Unfortunately, this is why the Captain often went down with the ship. Gave an easy target to blame without concern for his future welfare.

tragic accident but learn and correct, not keep blaming technical issues that human psychology can not correct.
All valid points in the defense of the captain. ..
But the families want blood/revenge for a tragedy that "could" have been prevented with a company mandated night watch and a captain enforcing it
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 15:01   #307
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Because there weren't enough deck workers aboard to set a roving watch and be able to operate the boat and make dives during the day. The crew were already working long, physical, active hours. The way the industry has responded to the loss of the m/v Conception is to add a crew member to each of the similar boats so they can set a roving night watch.

And you would not have rubbed the crews noses in anything because before being the master of the vessel you would have had many voyages as crew aboard the same vessel and would understand how things are done. Furthermore you would have had several voyages where you were unofficially in charge on a probationary basis while another master was officially in charge and observing how you handled authority. Had you made a scene at that point you would have been overruled, and would find yourself working as crew while your promotion to master was inexplicably (to you) delayed.

And had, arguendo, you instituted a watch schedule and taken the night watches yourself, you would not be sufficiently rested during the day to perform your many duties during the day. Among those are some that that per the COI cannot be delegated, such as the roll call after each dive to be sure that all divers are back aboard.
You nailed the reality of how the industry works as I have captained liveaboard dive boats and overnight sport fishing boats ... 120ft and 180ft.
I've fought those battles to insure enough crew for a night watch when the company used the familiar excuse of not enough crew bunks for that "extra" guy.

Bottom line is that you decide what kind of captain you will be..... when taking command and responsibility for the safety of those on board.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2023, 14:58   #308

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Recent news on the fire's source:

https://www.independent.com/2023/09/...f-report-says/
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2023, 15:06   #309

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:

Interesting
Old 19-09-2023, 15:35   #310

Itís significant that after this incident ( and the duckboat as well as other passenger vessel multiple fatalities) there is still no implementation of the tried and tested SMS ( safety management system) for passenger vessels despite years of recommendations and representations to USCG. The system works in way that would have stopped the unsafe practices leading to the deaths aboard the MV Conception. Iím not familiar with USCG rules and inspection procedures but here in Australia we rigidly observe both the AMSA survey and SMS requirements (as well as IMO ......as does the rest of the commercial maritime industry) with the responsibility for safety firmly on the captain (and crew). The SMS book is kept up to date with every possible existing or arising safety issue and is available for reading for all crew, both coastal and foreign going. IMO compliant vessels under US flag already use SMS so itís difficult to understand or justify the lack of SMS throughout the domestic passenger vessel operations.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2023, 16:00   #311

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
The report also revealed that polyethylene trash cans like the one involved were prone to accidental fires, and safety alerts regarding such garbage cans were issued by the Coast Guard this June.
Why polyethylene trash cans?
Old 19-09-2023, 16:50   #312

Boat: Outremer 50S

Interesting. Had thought the batttery source plausible, and a good (albeit horrible) learning experience all around. Trash can fires are something we know about and know how to deal with. Very sad that a non-flammable can with a tight fitting lid might have made all the difference. Of course, the roving watch would have had to make sure the lid was tightly fitted after all the passengers that don't pay attention to that kind of thing toddled off to bed.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2023, 21:18   #313

Quote:
Very interesting thanks for posting.
So much for jumping to conclusions.

Surprised ATF not providing info to NTSB to update report and make recommendations.
I would have thunk safety trumps prosecution. but what would i know.

A gashcan fire. Has been one of the most common since the Phoenicians first put sea. Smokers having increased the danger soon after Sir Walter Raleigh invented cigars. Not new and one of the primary reasons Pax vessels are required to have a on duty watch and rounds.

Lawyers will make all sorts of arguments. Its what they do.

The unfortunate Skipper still GAF. No doubt he will be strung up from the nearest yard arm. The world will be much safer. or at least the Lawyers will be richer.
How much he really understood about what the requirements really were and what he should have been doing.
He was just the unlucky b' steward on the night. The company other similar vessels operated the same way for years with apparent approval of USCG who completely dropped the ball.
Many other similar vessels were operated in a similar manner.

The reality if any one he worked for or who regulated and inspected his vessel had done their job properly this tragedy would not have happened.

But the public need a scapegoat.

In any event regardless of how this play's out his life is ruined. Along with other survivors and families of those lost.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2023, 21:59   #314

The skipper isnít a scapegoat, itís his job to protect the lives of those aboard, he trained for it and practiced all the skills required to stop 35 people from dying and in that , he failed.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2023, 23:58   #315

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
The skipper isn’t a scapegoat, it’s his job to protect the lives of those aboard, he trained for it and practiced all the skills required to stop 35 people from dying and in that , he failed.
Ok the Public needs someone to hold or be held accountable.
Skipper, Master, Captain or person in charge of and responsible for the operation of the boat. He be the guy.
Use whatever term you like.

He didn't appear to have much more than bare minimal Experience, knowledge skill, training or practice. What little he had he got working for this outfit. So he learned how to do it wrong right from the get go.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concept