Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2022, 08:08   #1
Registered User
 
ArmySailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Arlington, VA
Boat: Shannon 28
Posts: 207
Test #1

I'm currently rounding Cape Henry, departing the Chesapeake bay for Bermuda. I wanted to say thank you to all the forum members who have helped me get to this point. Everything from wiring size to theoretical nonsense (and humor).

This is my first offshore passage, and I'm doing it single handed. I don't think I could be any more prepared with equipment that has served me well over the last 5 years in the bay.
Wish me luck, see you all up on the net from Bermuda, hopefully!

Here's my tracking page:.
https://forecast.predictwind.com/tra...SV_Spellbound/
ArmySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 08:10   #2
Registered User
 
ArmySailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Arlington, VA
Boat: Shannon 28
Posts: 207
Re: Test #1

"I don't think I could be any more prepared with equipment that has served me well over the last 5 years in the bay."

I'm implying that the weakest link is me, as a rank amateur.
ArmySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 08:36   #3
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lower Chesapeake Bay, VA
Boat: Bristol 27 #335
Posts: 8,687
Re: Test #1

Good Luck!

Btw the Annapolis to Bermuda Race 2022 starts June 3rd so you may see those guys at some point.

Not sure how long you plan to stay on Bermuda.

Btw later if you would can you give us an idea of the prices if you restock over there?
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 14:22   #4
Registered User
 
PushingThePen's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 127
Re: Test #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySailor View Post
I'm currently rounding Cape Henry, departing the Chesapeake bay for Bermuda. I wanted to say thank you to all the forum members who have helped me get to this point. Everything from wiring size to theoretical nonsense (and humor).

This is my first offshore passage, and I'm doing it single handed. I don't think I could be any more prepared with equipment that has served me well over the last 5 years in the bay.
Wish me luck, see you all up on the net from Bermuda, hopefully!

Here's my tracking page:.
https://forecast.predictwind.com/tra...SV_Spellbound/
I'm VERY interested in what sailboat you're using and what equipment you've got. Any suggestions, likes, dislikes that you've come across so far?

Getting ready to make the same leap. Intending to set sail next year for a year on the first run
PushingThePen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 14:22   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Reston, VA, USA
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1
Posts: 333
Re: Test #1

Good luck!

What is your sleep plan?
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 14:26   #6
Registered User
 
PushingThePen's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 127
Re: Test #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
Good luck!

What is your sleep plan?
Curious to know what you in particular mean by sleep plan?
PushingThePen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 14:28   #7
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lower Chesapeake Bay, VA
Boat: Bristol 27 #335
Posts: 8,687
Re: Test #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushingThePen View Post
Curious to know what you in particular mean by sleep plan?
OP is sailing single handed.

He is in a very busy spot right now.

I have seen small work boats (120' or so) run up that coast at speed plus there are two shipping channels coming in. (plus the offshore ship anchoring area)

He is about to cross one channel soon and he has had a long day

Plus he has all those anchored ships to deal with later tonight or in the morning. He is SV Spellbound

Three Bulk Carriers on their way in now. One container ship outbound.

Plus the wind may swing South later

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...y:36.8/zoom:10

https://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12221.shtml
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 15:27   #8
Seaman, Delivery skipper
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 28,695
Images: 2
pirate Re: Test #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushingThePen View Post
I'm VERY interested in what sailboat you're using and what equipment you've got. Any suggestions, likes, dislikes that you've come across so far?

Getting ready to make the same leap. Intending to set sail next year for a year on the first run
According to the info under his avatar he is sailing a Shannon 28...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shannon_28_drawing.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	257976  
__________________

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 15:29   #9
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lower Chesapeake Bay, VA
Boat: Bristol 27 #335
Posts: 8,687
Re: Test #1

you can see his boat here (marinetraffic link below)

He's just North of Sand Bridge beach a few miles offshore. Click on SV Spellbound. (purple)

Link shows him headed SE but that was a while back. Wind is now ESE or SE where he is

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...909552/zoom:12

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 15:32   #10
Registered User
 
PushingThePen's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 127
Re: Test #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
OP is sailing single handed.

He is in a very busy spot right now.

I have seen small work boats (120' or so) run up that coast at speed plus there are two shipping channels coming in. (plus the offshore ship anchoring area)

He is about to cross one channel soon and he has had a long day

Plus he has all those anchored ships to deal with later tonight or in the morning. He is SV Spellbound

Three Bulk Carriers on their way in now. One container ship outbound.

Plus the wind may swing South later

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...y:36.8/zoom:10

https://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12221.shtml
Thanks for the clarification! Sounds like he's in for a challenging evening or two, along with some tiring days.

Going to have to follow his journey. Preparing for something like it myself.
PushingThePen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 15:36   #11
Registered User
 
PushingThePen's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 127
Re: Test #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
According to the info under his avatar he is sailing a Shannon 28...
Nice, but definitely smaller than what I'm looking to go this time.

Ran a Catalina 26' and an Islander 28' for a little while, but the headroom was crap. Being taller (6'2“) and having a few medical issues, I'm looking for a larger, more open floorplan, plus the guest area. Like tinkering, so I'm leaning towards something with one of the work stations. Seen a few setups that were pretty nice.
PushingThePen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 15:37   #12
Registered User
 
PushingThePen's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 127
Re: Test #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
you can see his boat here (marinetraffic link below)

He's just North of Sand Bridge beach a few miles offshore. Click on SV Spellbound. (purple)

Link shows him headed SE but that was a while back. Wind is now ESE or SE where he is

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...909552/zoom:12

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/
Very cool! I'm going to have to check out any blogging he's doing.
PushingThePen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 15:41   #13
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lower Chesapeake Bay, VA
Boat: Bristol 27 #335
Posts: 8,687
Re: Test #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushingThePen View Post
Very cool! I'm going to have to check out any blogging he's doing.
We may only be able to see his posts on PredictWind as he may be out of range for any other COMMS.

I don't know what he has onboard for that, but his position hasn't updated for over 3 and 1/2 hours.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 16:56   #14
Registered User
 
Gadagirl's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 898
Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Re: Test #1

Wishing you the best! I'll be following you as much as I can. Thanks so much for sharing your journey with us!
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 20:21   #15
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 24,679
Re: Test #1

yes, Bon Voyage, and happy landfall.

Ann
__________________
Who scorns the calm has forgotten the storm.
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To Test or Not to Test... hotspur Families, Kids and Pets Afloat 13 29-07-2010 04:43
USA Ham Test Help Skylark Marine Electronics 0 30-03-2003 11:27

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:14.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.