Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2021, 15:48   #1

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran
tall ship meets bridge

brazilian navy training tall-ship Cisne Branco having a dust-up with a bridge...ouch

cheers,
Old 20-10-2021, 15:54   #2

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy
Re: tall ship meets bridge

Oh the pain
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 17:33   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Oh the ignominy
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 17:41   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

Oh the current...
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 18:10   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: tall ship meets bridge

Embarassing when something like this happens..
My similarity was being swept against the Sandbanks Chain Ferry with my Seagull outboard in bits in the cockpit.
I'd been anchored just inside the entrance of Poole Harbour on a Friday night planning on going out at slack water and head West for Weymouth on the ebb, stay on the Quay for the night then head back on Sunday.
7.00 hrs I ready everything then crank the Seagull... nothing.. 15 minutes later still nothing, change plug.. Nothing
Next... strip and clean carb... had just started reassembling when out of the side off my eye I saw a building moving past and realised I was dragging, ran to the bow and paid out more chain, slowed a bit then I ran out of chain and we still kept moving..
I realised we were going to be swept into the entrance so then frantically started hauling the chain back in (this was '84 and I was fit) so as not to snag the chain ferry cable as we swept through.. there was not a breath of wind so no hope there.
Got the chain up okay but ended up alongside the chain ferry, stopped in the middle of the Channel effectively sealing the port for most shipping.
Okay.!!! It was only a 23ft Voyager but it was just as embarrassing with a ferry load of daytrippers hanging over the rail taking foto's of us trying to look relaxed on a boat tilted 35 degrees directly below...
Reason for dragging.??? When the tide started ebbing the Danforth flipped, trouble was a stone wedged the flukes preventing them dropping and grabbing..
Had bought her two weeks earlier, was my first outing on her and the last time I used the Danforth.
Got pulled off by the Inshore Lifeboat..
$h1t Happens..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 02:04   #6
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

What about the poor tugboat that turned turtle

I am always nervous entering Poole harbour after our outboard decided to have fuel problems (only time it ever happened!) just as we were approaching the chain ferry. Luckily drifted past without incident. Nightmare to be pinned against it!
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 02:44   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I am surprised that the tall ship did not drop an anchor to slow down the drift and turn bow to current
It would have given the other tugs a chance to get longer tow lines on to help hold until they had enough horsepower to take over
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 03:35   #8

Boat: Westerly Sealord

This gives a better idea of the time line -just be aware the small tug's sinking took place after everything else occured.

Cisne Branco is upstream or north of that pedestrian bridge which in turn lies upstream of the main commercial port. Maybe they had wanted to park her closer to the city.

The small tug was actually sunk after the big red tug had skulldragged Cisne Branco -stern first - off the bridge .
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 03:57   #9

Translated from the Brasilian - maybe not the best place to have built a bridge

'The sad scenes of the ship-Veleiro Cisne Branco (U 20) colliding with the pedestrian bridge over the Guayas River was not the first accident that occurred at this location.

According to an Ecuadorian website, "Since 2017, at least three accidents with boats have been recorded on this bridge, the first ended with the collapse of a span of 145 meters."

It is not yet possible to determine the causes of the accident, which is already under investigation by the Ecuadorian Navy, meanwhile, the NVe Cisne Branco will be moored to the yacht club wharf, so that a technical inspection of the hull can be carried out to make sure that there was not no damage that compromises its navigation, besides the damaged mast, as can be seen in the highlighted photo. Subsequently, the Brazilian Navy will assess the possibility of its return to Rio de Janeiro by its own means.

The accident with the tug that capsized during the maneuver after the collision must also be investigated. Due to this second accident, it was necessary to install containment barriers to prevent contamination of the river. Ecuadorian Marine Corps divers will help with the ship's refloating work.

We are rooting for the short return of the NVe Cisne Branco and its crew to Brazil so that it can be repaired in time to represent our country during “Velas Latinoamérica 2022”. Fortunately, there were no casualties on the ships involved in this regrettable accident.
Old 21-10-2021, 08:29   #10

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
"Since 2017, at least three accidents with boats have been recorded on this bridge.
We have a couple of bridges like that in our home waters. Currents can be swift, up to four knots. These bridges "snag" boats on a fairly regular basis. I've personally pulled a couple of sailboats away; one just in time, and the other was already against the bridge heeling over and looking like it might go under. Even a large (maybe 500') bulker broke its moorings with the tide and was swept into one of these bridges.

Stuff happens.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 09:35   #11

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Incompetent pilot! Tug-assisted move that results in both an allision and girding points to a pilot that was in well over his head.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 13:05   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Incompetent pilot! Tug-assisted move that results in both an allision and girding points to a pilot that was in well over his head.
The allision ? Ok, ships hit bridges - but girding the tug **after** the event? Golly.

Reason for navigation above the bridge is a berth - presumably for cruise liners and similar - up at Malecon Simon Bolivar.
Reason for the 840 metre foot bridge?
https://www.planetandes.com/ecuador/...santay-island/
Old 21-10-2021, 13:24   #13

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
The allision ? Ok, ships hit bridges - but girding the tug **after** the event? Golly.
The little tug wasn't tied to Cisne before it hit the bridge (when it was hopelessly pushing). The question is "why did they then run a line to the small tug, especially since it was still on the pushing side?" Or "why didn't they use the big tug to push Cisne away from the bridge, when it was between Cisne and the bridge?" Gong show.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 14:00   #14

If you look at the CNN YT I posted above - at about 38 seconds - I think the red tug was south of the bridge and possibly not even part of the team but just waiting its turn to pass through the bridge after Cisne Branco was clear.
Little tug bolted under the bridge to get out of harm's way before CN struck - was put on a headline to hold the bow up as CN was hauled off. At least they only lost the fore topmast and not the bowsprit as well.

The die was cast when someone decided to run the bridge with the tide rather than waiting for slack water - maybe they had been watching some white water rafting vids and just wanted a bit more excitement in their life.
Old 21-10-2021, 15:49   #15
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

[QUOTE=El Pinguino;3506150]The allision ? Ok, ships hit bridges - but girding the tug **after** the event? Golly.

/QUOTE]

That was a rookie mistake by the Tug's crew.

Ship throws Tug a short mooring line and deckhand puts eye on tugs towing bollard, therby loosing all control of their own maneuverability and gets handcuffed sideways

If ever you are towing something bigger than you..... make sure you can lengthen and/or release the tow line!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote