Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2020, 10:21   #1

Taking a 5 day Liveaboard course

First post and still dreaming
My son and I are complete newbies and we are wondering if a 5 day Liveaboard sailing course would be a good way to start. Has anybody taken this type of course as a way to immerse yourself? Anybody in the Vancouver area recommend or has done this? Cheers and thanks!
kmrtraptow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:27   #2

Re: Taking a 5 day Liveaboard course

If it is the RYA based course, I hear it's quite good. We have been trying to sign up for that or an ASA one but the pandemic and our current physical location is making that more difficult.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:32   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrtraptow View Post
First post and still dreaming
My son and I are complete newbies and we are wondering if a 5 day Liveaboard sailing course would be a good way to start. Has anybody taken this type of course as a way to immerse yourself? Anybody in the Vancouver area recommend or has done this? Cheers and thanks!
It is a good method. Make sure the "school/course" is certified and you get a bareboat level cert at end.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:34   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
It is a good method. Make sure the "school/course" is certified and you get a bareboat level cert at end.
This is what the course is offering
Certification:*Sail Canada (CYA): Basic Crew Standard/ Basic Cruising Standard
Old 05-08-2020, 10:43   #5

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Check out coopers. They have 3 branches, granville island is the one we chartered through. They do the live and learn courses as well(we did one, but through a private instructor) they were very good to deal with and had a lot of boat choices.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:46   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
Check out coopers. They have 3 branches, granville island is the one we chartered through. They do the live and learn courses as well(we did one, but through a private instructor) they were very good to deal with and had a lot of boat choices.
Awesome Thanks! I will definitely check them out. I was planning on SimplySailing as they still have openings in late Oct and the price is relatively good
Old 05-08-2020, 11:28   #7

Boat: Seaward 22

My father and I did one of these many years ago from Annapolis Sailing School. Spent a week sailing on the Chesapeake. Great course and experience.....plus some awesome memories that I treasure. Enjoy it.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:29   #8
CLOD

Quote:
I don't know what those are? Would a Charter company accept that for chartering a boat without the need of a captain?
Old 05-08-2020, 11:36   #9

Quote:
I don't know what those are? Would a Charter company accept that for chartering a boat without the need of a captain?
These are just the basic sailing certifications you get with a basic course
Old 05-08-2020, 11:41   #10
CLOD

Quote:
These are just the basic sailing certifications you get with a basic course
I am sure they are, but that doesn't answer the question.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:41   #11

They don't mean anything outside of Canada. This is the reason we have been wanting to take an RYA course (or possibly ASA) instead.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:48   #12

Quote:
I am sure they are, but that doesn't answer the question.
Pretty sure they don't allow you to charter a boat without a captain
Old 05-08-2020, 11:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
They don't mean anything outside of Canada. This is the reason we have been wanting to take an RYA course (or possibly ASA) instead.
I just found out that CYA, ASA and RYA recognize each other's certification so I'm hoping that's true
Old 05-08-2020, 11:58   #14

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Yes, it's a good way to start. In fact, me and my spouse took exactly this kind of course as our first step. We took the CYA Basic Cruising course together as a week-long liveaboard program. It was a fine way to get started. We then when on to do other CYA courses (she: Intermediate & Advanced in the Caribbean, me: Advanced out of Vancouver, I challenged the Intermediate).

At the time I the Intermediate level course was the bareboat certification level, but I doubt if that matters much. CYA is recognized as other similar programs like ASA or the many others out there. By reputation the RYA courses are the top, but I've never taken one.

Interestingly, when I did my CYA Advanced I booked it directly with a skipper who worked with Coopers. I paid quite a bit less. It was a good course, but mainly because of the skipper, the boat (a Valiant) and the location.

Personally, I think a better way to learn is to get your own boat and get out there. But these liveaboard courses are probably the next best option, especially if you're just staring out.

Quote:
I just found out that CYA, ASA and RYA recognize each other's certification so I'm hoping that's true

Exactly as it was when I took them way back when...
Old 05-08-2020, 12:02   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yes, it's a good way to start. In fact, me and my spouse took exactly this kind of course as our first step. We took the CYA Basic Cruising course together as a week-long liveaboard program. It was a fine way to get started. We then when on to do other CYA courses (she: Intermediate & Advanced in the Caribbean, me: Advanced out of Vancouver, I challenged the Intermediate).

At the time I the Intermediate level course was the bareboat certification level, but I doubt if that matters much. CYA is recognized as other similar programs like ASA or the many others out there. By reputation the RYA courses are the top, but I've never taken one.

Interestingly, when I did my CYA Advanced I booked it directly with a skipper who worked with Coopers. I paid quite a bit less. It was a good course, but mainly because of the skipper, the boat (a Valiant) and the location.

Personally, I think a better way to learn is to get your own boat and get out there. But these liveaboard courses are probably the next best option, especially if you're just staring out.

Exactly as it was when I took them way back when...
Right on thanks! I feel like spending a week immersed might be a better way for me to go before buying something but I tend to put the cart before the horse lol

Tags
liveaboard