Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2021, 20:05   #1

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan
Tacking

The new Glenan's Sailing Manual says when tacking, it is important to gather as much speed as possible close hauled, then let go of the Tiller, and sheet in the main tight, then have crew move to center of boat to wait for things to swing to other tack.
In it, it says one of the mistakes people make is to use the tiller to try to turn the boat, which then acts as a brake, stopping the momentum, and causing the turn to fail. The tiller should be let loose.
Now my Raymarine ST-2000 Tiller Pilot has an AutoTack button on it, to turn the rudder, so which is correct? Is this dependent on boat size?
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 20:14   #2

Boat: Sabre 34II
Re: Tacking

I am sorry but I have never heard of this before - if you let go of the tiller won’t the boat just head up into the wind and stop? Then if you do WANT to use the tiller you won’t be able to without any headway.

On my boat while close hauled or on a close reach with balanced sails I have let go off the wheel for miles and the boat just maintains the course, does not tack by itself.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 20:16   #3

Boat: Atlas Pompano 21

Does that mean we can't say "Helm's alee" any more? That always bugged me anyway because we're turning into the wind, not alee.

It's got to depend on boat size because a boat with a wheel won't have a rudder that's free to turn.

But even on a larger boat, tightening up the main and turning the wheel not quite so hard as previously seems like it could be a good idea.
ScottRhodes13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 20:45   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRhodes13 View Post
Does that mean we can't say "Helm's alee" any more? That always bugged me anyway because we're turning into the wind, not alee.

It's got to depend on boat size because a boat with a wheel won't have a rudder that's free to turn.

But even on a larger boat, tightening up the main and turning the wheel not quite so hard as previously seems like it could be a good idea.
I could be wrong, but I thought the term "helm's alee" was because the tiller is on the leeward side of the boat when tacking?
svenskflicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 21:17   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugzyCan View Post
The new Glenan's Sailing Manual says when tacking, it is important to gather as much speed as possible close hauled, then let go of the Tiller, and sheet in the main tight, then have crew move to center of boat to wait for things to swing to other tack.
In it, it says one of the mistakes people make is to use the tiller to try to turn the boat, which then acts as a brake, stopping the momentum, and causing the turn to fail. The tiller should be let loose.
Now my Raymarine ST-2000 Tiller Pilot has an AutoTack button on it, to turn the rudder, so which is correct? Is this dependent on boat size?

Sounds like "roll tacking".
That may well work on a dinghy such as Optimist or Laser, but not on a cruising keelboat.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 21:36   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Incidentally, there's no apostrophe. The manual is named for the French sailing school Centre nautique des Glénans which produces it.
Old 09-05-2021, 22:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Incidentally, there's no apostrophe. The manual is named for the French sailing school Centre nautique des Glénans which produces it.
Yes, that is correct. I wasn't sure how to represent the accented e, and should not have introduced the apostrophe.
Old 09-05-2021, 22:04   #8

Quote:
That may well work on a dinghy such as Optimist or Laser, but not on a cruising keelboat.
That is what I was thinking as well, but in the book it mentions that "the crew" should move to center of boat to induce the turn, and move to new tack side once the jib crosses over mast, which seems like something for a larger boat.
There are a lot of references to smaller sail boats in this book though, so maybe that is all it is. Seems the most likely explanation.
Old 09-05-2021, 22:48   #9

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

My God, I've been doing it wrong for 50 years? Why didn't anyone tell me?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 23:43   #10

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Racing dinghies want to minimize drag by waggling the rudder a lot, sometimes letting the weather helm turn the boat instead of using the rudder to slow the boat.

Latest edition I could find of Glenans was 1978, details on roll tacking have changed a little and can be boat specific.

You can also roll tack smaller racing keelboats with crew.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 23:55   #11

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Racing dinghies want to minimize drag by waggling the rudder a lot, sometimes letting the weather helm turn the boat instead of using the rudder to slow the boat.

Latest edition I could find of Glenans was 1978, details on roll tacking have changed a little and can be boat specific.

You can also roll tack smaller racing keelboats with crew.
I definitely see the tiller move to leeward.
BTW, flattening that fast on a 420 may be fine since there may be not too much loss of speed and it can accelerate fast, but flattening too soon on a larger boat is likely ill-advised. I think perhaps some folks who are used to dinghies don't give the larger boat a chance to accelerate coming out of the tack before they start flattening.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 00:37   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugzyCan View Post
Yes, that is correct. I wasn't sure how to represent the accented e, and should not have introduced the apostrophe.

é = Alt key and 0233

Another one that's frequently useful on this site is ° = Alt+0176
Old 10-05-2021, 01:56   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Or a 420.

Exactly. This is a racing dinghy technique (roll tacking) which doesn't apply to cruising boats.

HOWEVER, most of the same basic principles DO apply. Just like in a racing dinghy, you want to conserve speed through your tack and get the power back up as quickly as possible. That may very well mean not putting the helm all the way over -- depending on how your boat handles. Notwithstanding the traditional call, "helm hard alee".

On my previous boat, which sailed poorly upwind, getting caught in irons was a real risk so the helm went hard over in order to get through the wind as quickly as possible. Fall off a bit past close hauled on the other tack, and get the jib sheeted in as quickly as humanly possible in order to get powered up again. Get speed up again before then climbing back up to close hauled. In that boat, even in ideal conditions I would lose maybe half of boat speed in a tack, and would be glad if I didnt' lose it all.

On my present boat, which is much faster and more weatherly, the technique is different. I don't put the helm all the way over, as there is almost no risk of getting into irons in most conditions. I don't cross the winder faster than I can get the jib over so I use a moderate amount of rudder, maybe 15 degrees. I usually let the pilot steer through tacks so that I can handle a sheet, and interestingly, that's the amount of rudder the pilot uses, too. In this boat, I might lose only a knot of boat speed, maybe 2, and gain it back in seconds.

Every boat is different, so you have to experiment.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:13   #14

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

It doesn't sound like roll tacking to me. In a roll tack, regardless of the size of the boat the crew stay to leeward for a moment, main sheet is dumped a bit just at the moment of the tack and then hauled in again on the other tack as the crew rushes over to the new weather side. Having crew centered achieves nothing in particular. Hauling the main in might give you more weather helm, helping you to get through the tack, or it might just stall the sail. Releasing the tiller with lots of way on might bring you through a tack, or it might leave you in irons.

Writing something like that in a book, as though it's a standard technique that can be applied to every boat (and especially in a way that suggests anyone who actually uses their rudder to turn the boat is doing it wrong) is either downright irresponsible or not nearly qualified to be writing a book on the subject.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:36   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
My God, I've been doing it wrong for 50 years? Why didn't anyone tell me?
We were trying to be nice and pretend not to notice, its a CF forum thing
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote