Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2017, 09:35   #16

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Surviving a monster storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
I admit I was very surprised to see her shooting video from the cockpit with the weather curtains up. I couldn't believe they held so I must agree it wasn't as bad where they were as it could have been.

Or, does anyone think the Mangroves provided that much protection from surface winds?
I was surprised as well, and also wondered how their inflateable fared with the tubes rubbing against the davits for a few days.

But I'm not them and I can't argue with what worked for them just because I would strip my rigging and decks.

As for the mangroves, the point of them is not as wind screens but as heavily rooted attachment points for a web of lines run to shore. I wonder if they had anti-chafe in their fairleads or over the toerails, though? Again, their tactics worked and they seemed cheerful enough in what must have been a wearing situation. And noisy. Very noisy.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 10:00   #17

Although many of you are right, I'm sorry to say your unkind remarks sound suspiciously like cocktail hour sailors.
dick sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 10:43   #18

Boat: O'Day 40

I don't take the comments as either unkind nor from "cocktail sailors".

Conventional wisdom, and the experiences of hundreds of other more experienced sailors, leads me to believe removing every removable source of windage is very important. Anti-chafe is not present on at least some of their lines, another thing that even my limited experience shows as being important.

I've had no experience with this type of storm and hope I never do, but I appreciate the experienced sailors pointing out the deficiencies in this boats preparations.

With 20-20 hindsight they were adequate preparations for what they experienced, but maybe not if the winds were 20 or 30 knots higher.

(And my limited experience showed me very quickly how poorly the CQR anchor performs compared to my Sarca Excel.)
Old 23-06-2017, 11:03   #19

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Well, you are a theologian of tackle, Panope...I've watched your sermons extensively!
I think 'Pariah of tackle' is a better description.
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 11:16   #20

Boat: San Juan 21

I am a lake sailor, and a newbie at that, so this is a type of storm I hope to never see.

However, I have a question. There were many comments about the dinghy/motor and that it should be handled differently.

How should they be handled properly?

It doesn't seem like separating the 2 would be a good idea. Would they just be lashed down differently on another part of the boat?

Thanks.
Herb Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 13:00   #21

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Miller View Post
I am a lake sailor, and a newbie at that, so this is a type of storm I hope to never see.
Good luck with that. Most lakes experience 50+ knot winds for 12 hours or more with 70+ knot gusts. Thunderstorms may only last 20 minutes, but that's all it takes to drive a boat ashore- after that 20 minutes, it doesn't matter if the wind is 2 knots or 50 knots.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 13:25   #22

Boat: Hans Christian 41 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
AND, back to the OP.

I have to agree with Delancey on (at least) one point. If an actual "monster" storm is coming, first thing you do is clear the topsides of anything and everything that adds to windage. That includes all sails, dinghy, biminis, etc.
I concur on clearing the topsides.
I fail to see how having a CQR is cause for criticism, we don't know the extent of their anchor inventory. I have one and I like it; also carry three other anchors.
Even though she mentioned 58 knots, it is obvious that the destruction in the nearby harbor was due to significantly stronger winds.
Apparently, picking a safer refuge trumps preparation of the boat to the nth degree. Should you do everything possible to prepare the boat? Of course, They seem like reasonable people; probably will incorporate some of the ideas presented on the forum.
I say good on them for posting.
Old 23-06-2017, 13:44   #23

Having been through a few hurricanes I have no issues with what they did to get ready for the storm. While they might could've cleaned the deck off a bit more I understand the spray curtains being left up so they could go outside and see whats going on. Having used mangroves in the past to secure my boat from a hurricane made me a big believer in having natural habitat like mangroves by far one if the best ways to secure a boat in a big storm.
willpower1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 13:52   #24

Boat: Moana 33

I hope no one takes this video as an indication of how to prepare a yacht for a cyclone, as no preparations at all are in evidence; the lovely couple said it all - they were lucky. Sorry Delancey was so brutal but it needed to be said as a warning to others. Of course the waves did all the damage beyond the mangroves but they were still very lucky not to experience the full fury of the wind on their unprepared yacht.
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 15:33   #25

Boat: Baba 40

I'm throwing away my CQR first thing tomorrow. I'll lose sleep tonight over the delay, of course, but I'm a bit of a procrastinator. Thanks for the nudge!
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 17:59   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

There are much better anchor designs than a CQR, however that being said, there sure were a lot of boats that held fast for decades with them.
I used to think the sun rose and set on a Danforth myself until I learned better.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 18:59   #27

Technologically advanced designs are overrated. Lots of people used to drive around in cars without dying.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1742.GIF
Views:	168
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	150540  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 19:59   #28

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I haven't worn shoes in six months.
I'll one up you on that matey: I've not worn shoes for 30 years.

I'll also second the comments about the sail, etc... Their survival was largely due to a good choice of location.
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 20:16   #29

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Lol at some of the comments here. These guys were riding it out a stone's throw from the eye of a slow moving powerful cyclone. Did no one notice the destruction at the end of the video? The creek they took refuge in was just around the corner from that Harbour.

They did well for the most part although I'd question leaving the dinghy on davits and sails and biminis left in place. Nevertheless, the video provided a perfect first hand view of the power of a mangrove forest to deflect cyclonic winds, not just to provide a bunch of anchor points.

And as for the anchor, well the cqr is more or less the standard for this cruising area. All those fancy designs based on the principle of a shovel tend to pull up too much mud and have a nasty habit of wedging in reef kinda permanently.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 21:29   #30

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevisDog View Post
I hope no one takes this video as an indication of how to prepare a yacht for a cyclone, as no preparations at all are in evidence; the lovely couple said it all - they were lucky. Sorry Delancey was so brutal but it needed to be said as a warning to others. Of course the waves did all the damage beyond the mangroves but they were still very lucky not to experience the full fury of the wind on their unprepared yacht.
I hope that plenty of people do take this video as an indication of how to prepare for a cyclone.
They show that getting into a sheltered spot can make such a difference that you can even leave the dinghy on davits and sails and bimini in place.
Well done you guys.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote