Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2018, 05:25   #16

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Supper and poor docking procedure

There's almost always a wind or current at my home dock, and most places I go. Often both. Even a perfect landing requires quick action to secure the boat before one or both of those forces have their way with it.

Up to about 30', sure, just reach out, grab the dock and hold on. Beyond that, you'll probably want to have your lines figured out before you start your approach. I almost always get one very short stern line over for a face dock, or a spring line for a slip. From there I can let the engines do all the work. No muscle needed. (If all goes well...)
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:31   #17

Boat: Colegate 26

We used to have similar entertainment at a lunch bar with seating very close to the front street where we could watch people parallel park. It was better than anything that was on television at the time.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:34   #18

Boat: Bristol 35.5CB

One of the books I recommend for folks needing to improve their docking skills is "Powerboat Handling Illustrated: How to Make Your Boat Do Exactly What You Want It to Do" Paperback – January 10, 2007 by Robert J. Sweet

The illustrations are excellent and his presentation of concepts is clear and easily understood.

Three factors in docking inboard monohulls. Wind, Current and Prop Walk. If you understand the physics/mechanics you can plan your maneuver and improve your likelihood of success. A key factor is not to ask your boat to do something it is incapable of doing.

Regards,

Captain George A Roth
Master NC, ASA and RPB Instructor
CaptainGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:20   #19

Boat: Leopard 39

I'll never be the docker some are. Years ago I had my Tanzer docked in Patchogue, Long Island. There was this old guy who had a 26 foot wooden sloop with no engine, and he used to sail in and out of his slip. He made it look so relaxed and easy. Even when the wind was blowing dead OUT of his slip, he made enough way on his approach to be able to turn into it and have it stop his vessel right where he wanted it. It was a beautiful thing to watch, and made us all feel like ham and eggers .
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 14:12   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Supper and poor docking procedure

Funny thing is before we shoved off, I got pretty good at docking.
I was real good with my fixed prop, less so with the Autoprop. I miss the walk. We went down to the boat every weekend, often went on a day sail on Sat, came back to the dock that afternoon, and Sun morning went and pumped the boat out, so I was docking three times every weekend.

Now I may not dock three times a month and have lost the touch.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 16:03   #21

Boat: Seafarer36c

It's getting to the point that we hardly ever need to dock anymore. Once per year when we leave the boat. We Jerry jug fuel and water. I was never much good at docking so I don't miss it. Now it's just about anchoring well.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:18   #22

Boat: Island Packet 40

I found that a good grappling hook with about 40' of line was very handy when docking, particularly if there are lots of other boats around with pushprits and pullprits and rails or life lines around their deck edges. If you can heave it over and snag one of them you can usually winch the boat in with a deck winch.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:32   #23

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I found that a good grappling hook with about 40' of line was very handy when docking, particularly if there are lots of other boats around with pushprits and pullprits and rails or life lines around their deck edges. If you can heave it over and snag one of them you can usually winch the boat in with a deck winch.
I'm thinking if you show up in a marina swinging a grappling hook, you'll find all KINDS of help docking...
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:06   #24

Boat: Cal 33-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
Nothing helps a boat come alongside in a safe and controlled manner better than a properly placed and handled spring line.
Bingo!
Old 08-09-2018, 05:13   #25

Boat: Valiant 40

Boat ramps offer even more entertainment than docks, if entertainment value is measured in damage done to personal property as a result of stupidity.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:38   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Boat ramps offer even more entertainment than docks, if entertainment value is measured in damage done to personal property as a result of stupidity.
Yes ramps can be entertaining. I remember a 30 minute show one day where the Husband backed the trailer in the water (4 attempts). He ended up fairly crooked to the approach and the trailer was completely buried under water. Then the wife attempted to load their 18' ski boat multiple times. Eventually he swam out to the boat and proceeded to load the boat himself. Which he did successfully after about another 5 attempts. After loading the boat they pulled up the ramp without strapping the boat so it slid back a foot or so on the trailer, but stayed on. IN fairness there were calm winds and no current in this small lake. I know there was a lot of choice words and I suspect some alcohol was involved.

Of course someone else can tell the story of me docking my 18' ski boat many years ago. Where my "experienced" friend tried to drown my truck by not setting the parking brake correctly and getting out of the truck to tell me how to drive the boat.
slowneasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:08   #27

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

It seems like we have all sorts of expert boat handlers on this thread who have never struggled with the physics and practice of boat handling in close quarters, such as at a dock. Isn't it amazing how all the experts are here on this forum. How blessed we are to have such knowledge and wisdom available to us! And of course no laughter or ridicule is intended to those of us who are not so capable maneuvering and docking our boats.

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:02   #28

Boat: someone elses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I was was about to say the same thing. Ramp watching is a mix of emotions. Sometimes you will be rolling on the ground laughing, other times you will cringe in horror, and some times you just want run screaming down the ramp waving arms like a mad man and tell them to just get out and let you do it. The last one is more prevalent when you are waiting to pull onto your own trailer.
JMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:11   #29

Boat: someone elses

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
It seems like we have all sorts of expert boat handlers on this thread who have never struggled with the physics and practice of boat handling in close quarters, such as at a dock. Isn't it amazing how all the experts are here on this forum. How blessed we are to have such knowledge and wisdom available to us! And of course no laughter or ridicule is intended to those of us who are not so capable maneuvering and docking our boats.

jon
It doesnt take a genius to dock safely and smoothly. It only requires being alert and common sense.

Which way is the wind blowing your boat? Compensate for that.
Which way is the current running? Compensate for that.
Have experience with handling your boat! How does it coast after you cut power? How long to respond to bumping the throttle? How nimble is its maneuvering from a stop?

Are people going to nail it with perfection every time? Of course not, but watching idiots slam into docks and other boats because they dont have a clue what they are doing and refuse to pay attention to conditions is laughable (as long as its not your boat they are running into)
JMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:19   #30

I cheat when it comes to docking - Bow and stern thrusters! Along with a dock hold button that pins the boat against the dock while i do make up/remove lines.

Cheating i know, but it saves the blood pressure spike.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, Docking