Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2014, 15:59   #1

Boat: Marieholm 26
Send a message via Skype™ to dannyjoh
Stowage Of Poles Along The Shrouds?

I have just acquired two 10 feet poles I want use when flying the twin jibs. My boat is a Marieholm 26. I am exploring the option of stowing the poles vertically along the upper shrouds using some sort holder fastened to the shroud. The deck space is limited and poles on the deck can be in the way of crew movement (see pic below). The poles are pretty light and I don't think the poles will affect much the center of gravity (and heeling) of the 5500-pound boat even if they are kept vertical along the shrouds. Does anyone stow poles along the shrouds? What kind of set-up do you have? What might be disadvantages of keeping the poles vertically stowed?

dannyjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:07   #2

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Stowage Of Poles Along The Shrouds?

Well, for a nice little boat storing them vertically would look damn ugly for a start.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:24   #3

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

A lovely boat! Windage is the bigger issue, I'd look at having both shroud stowage, and deck stowage. For trade wind routes they can live on the shrouds but if you have to bash into something or are at anchor in a blow they can be dropped to deck level or even better stored below as the ultimate jury rig option.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:33   #4

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Stowage Of Poles Along The Shrouds?

I would install brackets and stow them on the sides of the mast.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 04:31   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Stowage Of Poles Along The Shrouds?

Think I'd bungee clip them on the lower life line/stanchions either side of the cockpit.. but the shrouds would work.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 04:57   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, dannyjoh.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:22   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Put a long track on the mast with a line controlled car(s) on the mast. Clip the poles the car(s) and hoist them up the mast to the proper height. Stow the other end on deck with a pole end storage fitting or lash them to the shroud. That would make deployment easy. Just lower the car(s) with the pole attached and clip on to the sail. Have always run wing and wing so have never used twin headsails and poles for DDW sailing. The twizzle rig may work better for a twin pole rig but may not be compatible with mast mounting. The poles may restrict access forward so would experiment before spending any money to put it all together.

Might try life line stanchion storage hardware for the poles. That would get them off the deck
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:55   #8

Thank you all, for the feedback. I will further explore the possibility of mounting the poles on a track on the mast. As roverhi pointed out, the set-up would make it easy to deploy the poles when flying the twin jibs.
Thanks again.

PS: The boat in the picture is not my boat though mine is identical with it. The picture is Tom Kirschbaum's FERAL with a bit of sad history. I ended up inheriting a few items from the boat including the poles, the name FERAL, and another few items.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:09   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

How were they stored on Feral?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 13:11   #10

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Ours were stowed on the shrouds when we bought the boat. It was a good system but I noticed the difference in windage when I moved them to the deck. Hard call but I would second the aesthetic argument against stowing them there. We got away with it because our boat looks more like a fishing trawler anyway. :^P

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 12-12-2014, 13:59   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
How were they stored on Feral?
a64pilot, the poles were stowed on the deck as you may see on the picture of my initial post. I am trying to explore an alternative in order to maximize open space on the deck.
Old 12-12-2014, 15:38   #12

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

you might want to check out the video on U-Tube or S/V Delos.. a great idea of storing and using the poles...........
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 16:06   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

The rig goes, the poles go, you have nothing left to build jury rig. I would stow on the deck, if possible, and when it makes sense.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 19:02   #14

I sailed many thousands of miles on a very similar boat (Contessa 26) and I would never recommend using twin headsails down wind. The rather narrow beam of the Marieholm and almost twin boat (Contessa) will make for much more rolling with twins as opposed to main and foresail(poled out). The small amount of fore and aft component of the main cuts down the rolling, as compared to the twin jibs. The other problem with twins is if you have to turn and go upwind, it is much more complicated than dropping one pole, and trimming main and jib. My other piece of advice is to locate a Quartermaster Windvane. It will handle your boat beautifully, and be much cheaper than the fancy SS gadgets that are used on small boats. Remember that Tahiti looks the same from the cockpit of a Folkboat/Contessa/Marieholm, as it does from a gold plated 50 footer. Go young, go now , go with what you can afford. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 21:20   #15

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyjoh View Post
I have just acquired two 10 feet poles I want use when flying the twin jibs. My boat is a Marieholm 26. I am exploring the option of stowing the poles vertically along the upper shrouds using some sort holder fastened to the shroud. The deck space is limited and poles on the deck can be in the way of crew movement (see pic below). The poles are pretty light and I don't think the poles will affect much the center of gravity (and heeling) of the 5500-pound boat even if they are kept vertical along the shrouds. Does anyone stow poles along the shrouds? What kind of set-up do you have? What might be disadvantages of keeping the poles vertically stowed?

I just happened to be recently looking at one of the West Marine Advisor pages (Selecting a Whisker Pole | West Marine ), and in addition to covering pole storage a bit, it had an embedded Forespar video clip ( <5 min, w/John Kr. ) which also showed how slick storing one vertically on the mast works (on a forty-something boat). You might find it useful to look at.
I now think that I need one of those thingies, the spinnaker pole will just have to move to the rail (and probably go unused once I try a w-p on the genny one of these days).
(just a FYI, not endorsing anybody)

BTW, nice boat, in one of my favorite places ( which y'all can listen to here: Kaua`i Community Radio, KKCR Hanalei KAQA Kilauea .
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shroud