Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 12:19   #1

Boat: Club Sailor; various
Standing Rigging Affects Pointing?

What would cause a boat to consistently point higher on one tack to windward than the other.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:43   #2

Boat: PDQ Capella 36
Re: Standing rigging affects pointing?

The windward side where you are getting bad pointing is probably too loose. Do you have access to a tension gauge? Many racers have one knocking around.
Svan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:51   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

How are you determining that this is really the case? If you are using an apparent wind indicator, it is quite possible that it has not been correctly "centered". That is, when you are truly head to wind, it isn't reading zero. IME, getting that set exactly right is not a trivial task... at least on my boats.

Otherwise, it can be due to an asymmetrical keel, a slightly bent rudder shaft, or a canted mast.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 05-06-2014, 14:42   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
How are you determining that this is really the case? If you are using an apparent wind indicator, it is quite possible that it has not been correctly "centered". That is, when you are truly head to wind, it isn't reading zero. IME, getting that set exactly right is not a trivial task... at least on my boats.

Otherwise, it can be due to an asymmetrical keel, a slightly bent rudder shaft, or a canted mast.

Cheers,

Jim
Yes, all the above. Also, if there is significantly more weight on one side of the boat, like batteries in the port locker, water or fuel tanks on the port side then the boat will sail more upright on the port tack and probably point a little closer.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 13:39   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Many boats are layed up in two halves then joined together. Possible that the mold for one side has slightly better hydro dynamics resulting in better pointing on one tack. If the boat has a bolt on keel, that could be an issue as well. Keel castings are usually pretty rough and shape not completely symmetrical from side to side. Last but not least, if it's a bolt on lead keel, it could have been twisted in a grounding resulting in a different angle of attack
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 13:45   #6

Many ways to simply say that boats aren't perfectly equal on each side. Inside or out. Don't sweat it, it's a reality.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:16   #7

Boat: Albin Nova 33

I'd say take a halyard from one rail to the other to see if your mast is centered. You'd be surprised how far off it can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GregSteimel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:05   #8

I'm with JIM CATE on this one.

Setting up my new masthead wind instrument has taken months of fine tuning, and even then your still guessing.

....."Sail directly into the wind and adjust the analog pointer to zero, using the

vmg and tack keys. If you are unable to achieve the required degree of accuracy

due to sea conditions, and errors become apparent during subsequent tack operations, repeat this procedure to achieve alignment accuracy"...

Its all hocus pocus. at then end of the day, I've adjusted mine so that my tack angles are equal, whether they are truely or otherwise. No one can steer perfectly into the wind at zero degrees yet this is the means by which you are expected to calibrate the device. Think of the wind instrument as a guide. Otherwise sail the boat by the feel and by the tell tails.

Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 18:07   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Re: Standing Rigging Affects Pointing?

Lots of good advice above. It's also not unusual to find differences - Catalina 30s have chainplates in different spots from port to starboard!
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 19:27   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Many ways to simply say that boats aren't perfectly equal on each side. Inside or out. Don't sweat it, it's a reality.
I've never had a boat that didn't have a preferred side. Also, if your prevailing winds and prevailing waves are consistently mis-aligned in the area you usually sail, you could be persuaded that one tack is always better.

As far as rig tension. Try both tacks and lie at the base of the mast and compare the mast bend and slack in the leeward shrouds. You should easily see a difference.

I never have been able to get my apparent wind instrument centered. I just deal with it mentally.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 20:21   #11

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wind View Post
I'm with JIM CATE on this one.

Setting up my new masthead wind instrument has taken months of fine tuning, and even then your still guessing.

....."Sail directly into the wind and adjust the analog pointer to zero, using the

vmg and tack keys. If you are unable to achieve the required degree of accuracy

due to sea conditions, and errors become apparent during subsequent tack operations, repeat this procedure to achieve alignment accuracy"...

Its all hocus pocus. at then end of the day, I've adjusted mine so that my tack angles are equal, whether they are truely or otherwise. No one can steer perfectly into the wind at zero degrees yet this is the means by which you are expected to calibrate the device. Think of the wind instrument as a guide. Otherwise sail the boat by the feel and by the tell tails.

Or just go out on a day with zero wind and motor in a straight line. That will give you your zero. Helps if you sail somewhere like the PNW in summer where you actually get days with zero wind.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 20:51   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

The only boats I have sailed that didn't favor one tack over the other had extensive work done to acomplish it. For anything but a well funded racing program it really isn't worth it, once you know how your boat handles you can decide how to respond.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:04   #13

Boat: other people's boats

Can't believe no one's mentioned jib leads yet. Obviously if they're in different places you'll have a different shape and different pointing abilities. Even if they're in the same spot according to holes in the track, there's no guarantee that the tracks are symmetrical.
who_cares is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging