Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2022, 02:35   #1

Boat: Ranger 20
Solo Leaving Oversized Slip w/ Pilings

Hi everyone. As a new sailor, I am having a bit of an issue figuring out how best to leave my slip solo. The slip is oversized for my little sailboat, a Ranger 20.

Attached is a diagram of my slip which includes a small finger pier and 5 pilings to tie to. My current plan is as follows:

* Slacken the aft port line
* Engage motor in forward idle to pin the starboard bow against the finger pier by springing off the aft starboard line
* Remove the bow lines and my mid-cleat spring lines so that all I have is the stern lines to deal with and the boat is stabilized against the finger pier

Here is where I am stuck. How do I get both stern lines on the pilings while backing out of the slip (in a way that I can retrieve them when returning) without ping ponging around the pilings and the neighboring boats? The boat is small and far from each of the piers, so I cannot easily reach both piers from the boat at the same time.

Any tips on how best to handle this scenario? Much thanks from a newbie sailor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DockingScenario.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	251546  
Bayesnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 03:31   #2

Boat: J/88
Re: Solo Leaving Oversized Slip w/ Pilings

Probably will be different for different wind directions and potentially current if you have any. What is the prevailing wind direction across the slip?
Old 20-01-2022, 04:06   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Make a permanent "corral" of ropes going from the outer pilings to the dock, so your boat is contained within. When you want to leave, pull the boat out backwards and leave docklines hanging from the corral ropes.
One guy had his corral set up so he could motor in, and his bows would be held tight against the ropes forward while the set up the other docklines.
Old 20-01-2022, 04:56   #4

Boat: Bristol 27 #335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesnet View Post
Hi everyone. As a new sailor, I am having a bit of an issue figuring out how best to leave my slip solo. The slip is oversized for my little sailboat, a Ranger 20.

Attached is a diagram of my slip which includes a small finger pier and 5 pilings to tie to. My current plan is as follows:

* Slacken the aft port line
* Engage motor in forward idle to pin the starboard bow against the finger pier by springing off the aft starboard line
* Remove the bow lines and my mid-cleat spring lines so that all I have is the stern lines to deal with and the boat is stabilized against the finger pier

Here is where I am stuck. How do I get both stern lines on the pilings while backing out of the slip (in a way that I can retrieve them when returning) without ping ponging around the pilings and the neighboring boats? The boat is small and far from each of the piers, so I cannot easily reach both piers from the boat at the same time.

Any tips on how best to handle this scenario? Much thanks from a newbie sailor.
Depending on how long the finger pier is, you may be able to use just one of the stern pilings like I do.

That's how I do it as a single hand sailor.

Max wind with this setup so far 65 knots.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0642 (4).jpg
Views:	194
Size:	464.8 KB
ID:	251560   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0645 (4).jpg
Views:	175
Size:	478.7 KB
ID:	251561  

Name:	DSC00222.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	482.6 KB
ID:	251562   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00223.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	470.9 KB
ID:	251563  

Name:	DSC00221.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	470.6 KB
ID:	251564   Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd piling.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	449.1 KB
ID:	251565  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 05:56   #5

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Cover the pilings with carpet and put a rub strip on the dock. That will alleiviate damage concerns and allow you to focus on the task at hand.

You didn't say which way the prevailing wind comes from, and that makes a difference. Note in the photos above there's a line from the piling to the dock, stopping the boat from crossing over and smashing into the neighbor. Do that. It will also keep your boat from going too far sideways to recover/ back out.

In general, I'd dump all lines except the windward. Assuming that's one of the pilings, pull yourself all the way up to it, release the line (HANG the line) and pull out.
Old 20-01-2022, 05:57   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Bayesnet.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 13:28   #7

This would be great. Thanks for the suggestion! Good to hear that it works for you in such high winds.

My dock is somewhat exposed at the bank of a huge river (Saint Johns River), so we can get some chop and high winds from various directions. The port forward spring line from the mid cleat (see diagram) should keep the starboard stern from swinging into the neighbor boat. Perhaps I'll also run an aft spring line from mid cleat as backup for the single stern line. Both will lead to the same piling, which should be relatively easy to handle.

If anyone sees a problem with the line configuration in the attached graphic, let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Depending on how long the finger pier is, you may be able to use just one of the stern pilings like I do.

That's how I do it as a single hand sailor.

Max wind with this setup so far 65 knots.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DockingScenario_single_sternline.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	251595  
Old 20-01-2022, 13:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstanford View Post
Probably will be different for different wind directions and potentially current if you have any. What is the prevailing wind direction across the slip?
Wind can come from various directions unfortunately. Predominately there seems to be wind from the right of the slip to the left though.
Old 20-01-2022, 13:46   #9

FYI. Here she is in the slip in her current configuration.

I added several bumpers at the corner of the finger pier so I can press the boat against the pier using the spring line / motor forward technique both when docking and when removing lines during undocking.

Note that there are some lines running alongside the slip that were already there. The one on the right in the photo needs to be raised at the rear piling though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	boat_in_slip.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	460.9 KB
ID:	251596  
Old 20-01-2022, 14:36   #10

Would be easier to back in than back out.
Caleb_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 14:47   #11

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Put a hook on the pilings so you can hang the line.

Release leeward lines. Release remaining bow line. Pull the remaining line toward the piling, gun the motor, and away you go.

Mostly you just need to do it a bunch of times on a calm day. In, out, in out.
Old 20-01-2022, 14:50   #12

Welcome.

Have you looked around your dock neighbors for solutions? Unless you're in a small marina and those are the only other two boats?!?

We ALL were new at one time, and resolved our issues. In my case, after decades sailing in the US, I moved to BC and had to learn to deal with bullrails instead of simple cleats.

Reason for that story is that I learned a lot by reading and searching on bullrails. Same is true for pilings, that one simple word should get you to THE basic solution to your issue: find something to hang your aft breast lines on to the pilings when you leave and pick them back up again when you come in.

All the best.

PS _ I always "gag" when folks ask about prevailing winds. I lived in SF where "everybody says" it's from the west, except they're the dudes who never go sailing between September and April! And, of course, you have the river.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 15:25   #13

Boat: S2 9.1

It is very important to have lines run for and aft from your spiles to the dock, so that you will stay in your berth and not your neighbors.

They must be at the correct height to hold your hull, and if you have tidal changes you may need two sets.

If you do this life gets much easier, not much can go wrong, and you may not have to worry so much about spring lines, fenders etc.

Good Luck
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 15:48   #14

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389 37'

Hi there from down under. I have a similar pen set up and what I do and many others at my marina is as follows; run lines from the pylons back to the jetty and set tight. Run a line across the pen with rings on either end that can slide along the side lines. This line can be used to keep your boat centered. Secondly you can ties all your lines together with tether lines so that after you pick up any of your lines down one side of your boat your just keep lifting them up. I bring my boat in single handedly like this in mild to moderate conditions. You just pick up the aft warp on the windward side first and then walk forward to get your springers on and then the bow line. Then the other side. If you have more hands better still. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	17904D76-B0CF-47E6-A5E3-C004C80594C7.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	443.8 KB
ID:	251604  
Tim Litchfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 16:02   #15

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesnet View Post
Hi everyone. As a new sailor, I am having a bit of an issue figuring out how best to leave my slip solo.
AFAIAC it is perfectly acceptable to rest against a piling (suitably fendered). They aren't some sort of absolutely don't touch thing. They're a tool.

Also, you could try warping out of the slip into the fairway.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
size