Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2021, 11:04   #1

Software for remote anchor alarm

Hey,

Do you recommend some software (free or paid) that would allow me to set anchor alarm, but inform me remotely (e.g. on a mobile)?

No matter how thoroughly I check my anchor, I'm always worried when I go ashore and leave the boat unattended. I'm looking for some software that would notify me on my mobile phone when I start dragging anchor.

Thanks in advance!
fgrzadkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 12:53   #2

Boat: Tartan 4400
Re: Software for remote anchor alarm

I use an app called "Anchor" on my iPhone. It claims to have the feature you desire if you have an Apple Watch or perhaps another iPhone, and you have cell service... I have not tried the remote feature yet, but I like it as a stand alone.
dksail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 15:54   #3

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

you basically need either two mobile phones that will talk to each other, and leave one onboard OR a chartplotter that will talk to your mobile phone

i believe that raymarine has a feature that allows remote wireless access eg via your mobile phone...although never bothered to actually use it.

what chart plotter do you have ?

cheers,
Old 22-04-2021, 16:33   #4

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Surely there's an anchor alarm app that sends email alerts? I'm reasonably sure the app I use has this capability. Then you just need to run it on a tablet with a SIM card.

Use a dedicated email address on the receiving phone set to alert instantly when it receives an email to that address.

I just checked my app "Anchor Pro" and it has email and remote notification options via a third party app. It used to have sms as well but the developers had to remove the feature for reasons related to Google play store policies.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 06:15   #5

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

I use “Anchor” setup on my ipad that communicates with my iphone when I’m away from the yacht. The iphone replicates the display showing on your ipad so you can see where your yacht is compared to the anchor. Works fine. You need to have cellular coverage for it to work and leave your ipad running on the yacht. Attached is the display that shows up on both the ipad and iphone. It also has an alarm that goes off if your yacht goes outside the ring. Definitely works as I have forgotten to turn it off when I raise anchor and leave

Ilenart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DBCDD451-BC09-4C03-8113-7A5869DC5AC9.jpeg
Views:	195
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	237138  
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 13:10   #6

I use SailGrib AA and I am very satisfied with it. I am at anchor most of the year and the other systems have too low tears when it is windy and rainy. My mobile can be very emotional and even with a lot of noise it wakes me up.
Folavoalh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 14:47   #7

Boat: Leopard 43

I have tried several anchor monitors and I like Anchor Pro the best. I use it on a Samsung Tab A. I tried less expensive tablets and found that they don't have reliable GPS chips. Mine is connected by wifi to a cellular router, although you can get tablets with built in cellular. It will send a text message to me via the Telegraph app if the boat wanders too far. Anchor Pro has all the features you could want. You can set the anchor by the tap of a button, or by GPS coordinates, or by projecting compass bearing and distance (which I like best). You can define odd shaped alarm zones if you want. Of course it will sound an alarm to wake you up. If it is connected to the internet, it will show a satellite view of the anchorage. I found some monitors don't reliably alarm. I spent a year trying various apps and finally settled on Anchor Pro.
tedowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 15:20   #8

Boat: Bavaria 38 Cruiser, 12meters, 2004

[QUOTE=fgrzadkowski;3392973]Hey,

Do you recommend some software (free or paid) that would allow me to set anchor alarm, but inform me remotely (e.g. on a mobile)?

No matter how thoroughly I check my anchor, I'm always worried when I go ashore and leave the boat unattended. I'm looking for some software that would notify me on my mobile phone when I start dragging anchor.

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE ]

I really like the idea or integration. That's one of the reasons I went for the Vesper Cortex. (I have no financial interest in their product apart from my investment in purchasing one!)

Essentially its a wireless hub with a built in cellular connection to their proprietary cloud, that will network with all the existing sensors and network on your boat that use NEMA 0183 and/or NMEA 2000. As such it combines several functions. It's a VHF, an AIS with remote Monitoring functions which are (if I'm not mistaken) in a constant state of development. So things like, Bilge Pump Activation, Anchor Watch, High Water alarm, Battery state, Intruder and other sensor functions are available to be viewed from your cellphone while both you and the boat are within the local cellular network.

From memory the first 6 months of Monitoring function is free and after that a subscription is charged for the more sophisticated forms of monitoring while the features that are built in such as monitoring the Battery state, the boats GPS position and one or two other features are maintained gratis.

I've recently installed this system and am really happy with it, though I had the inevitable one or two hiccups. I have yet to explore all the monitoring features, but I did do a temporary stitch up so that I can for example monitor the Bilge pump activation history remotely. The monitoring App "Cortex Monitor" is found on Playstore, and I believe is available for Iphones.
The photos show the hub with the various networking and other connections, the portable battery powered handset in it's charging cradle, and the other tethered handset at the helm. I also have "Cortex Onboard" which is an app that mirrors the handset functions and display on your phone.

Currently I use Cortex to give AIS info wirelessly on Open CPN. The screenshot shows an AIS target query and I checked the position and range info using CPN functions against the AIS info.

Perhaps a bit of topic, but I've seen quite a few discussions re the use of separate VHF antennae for AIS and VHF and the downside of Splitters employing just one antenna for both functions on this forum. And I have to say that the splitter on the Cortex is doing an exceptional job. I didn't change my aerial or any adjustments. I get both VHF transmissions and receive without issue, and as you can see from the screen shot I'm getting AIS from over 30 miles away over headlands that are higher than my mast.

https://www2.vespermarine.com/cortex
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WIN_20210424_09_52_44_Pro.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	237178   Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20210424_09_53_06_Pro.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	237179  

Name:	WIN_20210424_10_01_59_Pro.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	237180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Asian Bulker.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	421.8 KB
ID:	237181  

Kerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 16:08   #9

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedowens View Post
I have tried several anchor monitors and I like Anchor Pro the best. I use it on a Samsung Tab A. I tried less expensive tablets and found that they don't have reliable GPS chips. Mine is connected by wifi to a cellular router, although you can get tablets with built in cellular. It will send a text message to me via the Telegraph app if the boat wanders too far. Anchor Pro has all the features you could want. You can set the anchor by the tap of a button, or by GPS coordinates, or by projecting compass bearing and distance (which I like best). You can define odd shaped alarm zones if you want. Of course it will sound an alarm to wake you up. If it is connected to the internet, it will show a satellite view of the anchorage. I found some monitors don't reliably alarm. I spent a year trying various apps and finally settled on Anchor Pro.
we use anchor pro as well but the lite version. this has the added very important feature that it's FREE

been very happy with it

cheers,
Old 24-04-2021, 01:16   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilenart View Post
I use “Anchor” setup on my ipad that communicates with my iphone when I’m away from the yacht. The iphone replicates the display showing on your ipad so you can see where your yacht is compared to the anchor. Works fine. You need to have cellular coverage for it to work and leave your ipad running on the yacht. Attached is the display that shows up on both the ipad and iphone. It also has an alarm that goes off if your yacht goes outside the ring. Definitely works as I have forgotten to turn it off when I raise anchor and leave

Ilenart
Looks like the app in now called “Anchor! drag alarm” with both apple/ios and and Android versions. US$5, which I was happy to pay.

Ilenart
Old 24-04-2021, 08:22   #11

Boat: boatless currently

Quote:
Looks like the app in now called “Anchor! drag alarm” with both apple/ios and and Android versions. US$5, which I was happy to pay.

Ilenart
This is not accurate. The official name on the Google Play store is "Anchor Watch Pro / Alarm"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...jstr.anchorpro
Kamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 08:29   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamen View Post
This is not accurate. The official name on the Google Play store is "Anchor Watch Pro / Alarm"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...jstr.anchorpro
nope thats a different app. The one I am using is called Anchor! drag alarm on ios and Anchor! on Google play.

If you zoom in on the photo below you can see the app symbol in the top left hand corner. The links to this app are below

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...MCMbJ9mpnvHuGO

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...or&hl=en&gl=US
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FC518702-2928-44F5-A63A-68D4F7574689.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	237196  
Old 25-04-2021, 09:50   #13

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
nope thats a different app. The one I am using is called Anchor! drag alarm on ios and Anchor! on Google play.

If you zoom in on the photo below you can see the app symbol in the top left hand corner. The links to this app are below

Thanks a stack. Just purchased it and it seems to work just fine. Love the remote functionality.

Thanks for the great tip!!!
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 13:37   #14

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:

So been playing with this a little bit. I use my iPhone to monitor my iPad. When the alarm goes off on my iPad it does not go off on my iPhone. Is it supposed to?
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 13:52   #15

Boat: Tartan 4400

Not sure, from the documentation on Anchor! Drag Alarm what is supposed to happen. I have been playing with it and it will not work with Verizon, in the USA without a workaround that I got from the developer. I have not installed that yet.

We’re you able to get the test email? Perhaps that is all you get is an email???
dksail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm, anchor, remote, software